Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuchs915
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Great work Tim, I have just stripped mine down for my 72 Beetle and found this thread very helpful. A couple of questions:

What's the best way to remove the bearing race next to the thin shim, without damaging the shim?

Do you ship your rebuild kits to UK?

Cheers

Kevin
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Kevin,

From earlier in the thread (about halfway down on page 9):

sjbartnik wrote:
Hey everybody,
So I was talking with Tim offline regarding my teardown of my old steering box and I made an observation regarding the removal of the small oil seal + bearing race + shim that caused some trouble early on in this thread in terms of getting the shim out without damaging it. He asked me to post it here.

I was tearing down my steering box with the Bentley manual next to me. When I got to the part about that shim, it said to use a VW special tool which was basically a 21.5mm drift to tap the entire mess, oil seal, bearing race, and shim, into the housing. So that's what I did. I didn't have the special tool, but I did have a 17mm Craftsman socket that was exactly the perfect OD to serve this purpose.

I put the flat end of the socket over the oil seal (the end that would normally attach to the ratchet) and gently tapped it in with a rubber mallet. After a few taps the whole assembly dropped into the housing without damage, including the shim (which apparently is the 2nd-thinnest one as it only has one notch in it).

I noted to Tim that he had removed the oil seal with a seal puller first, then attempted to drive out the bearing race and shim. Bentley says to just drive it all out together including the oil seal - and drive it out toward the inside of the housing. It worked for me, hopefully it will work for you. Smile

Sean's technique is the best method. I now use that technique, no more prying the small oil seal out with a puller. Sometimes, it takes some pretty good whacks to knock the race out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note: large end of the socket fits down onto the seal.

Yes, I can ship to UK. eMail me from the ad and we can work out the details:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2013334
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fuchs915
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks Tim, 17mm socket did the trick. Sent you a note through the ad.

Cheers

Kevin
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

TRW has some good boxes out again if you measure it by the amount of play. My supplier checked their supply and found one with zero play and shipped it to me. It so nice not to have 5 inches of play in the steering wheel.

An interesting note, on the outside of the TRW box was an emblem of VW and audio that had been slightly ground down. I am wondering if that shipment was meant for VW/Audi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the emblem on the TRW box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Actually....I am betting that its simply a rebuild by TRW using VW castings. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Actually....I am betting that its simply a rebuild by TRW using VW castings. Ray

That explains, partially, why it works.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
TRW has some good boxes out again if you measure it by the amount of play. My supplier checked their supply and found one with zero play and shipped it to me. It so nice not to have 5 inches of play in the steering wheel.

An interesting note, on the outside of the TRW box was an emblem of VW and audio that had been slightly ground down. I am wondering if that shipment was meant for VW/Audi.

Three items to consider:
1) A new steering box is supposed to have no-play for only the first 11 degrees of turn to the left and the first 11 degrees to the right. That is equivalent to turning the steering wheel a little over 90* left or right. Past that, It SHOULD have play! If it doesn't, then it is set to tight and will quickly wear itself out.
2) The amount of force needed to turn the steering input shaft should be pretty consistent across the full movement from lock-to-lock. With just a small bit of tightness at the center point. The force (torque) should only be 2-3 INCH-pounds. With the flange on the input (steering shaft) you should be able to operate the steering box with your finger!
3) Make sure you find the "center point" of the unit and install it such that the steering box is at center, with the tires pointed straight ahead, and the steering wheel reoriented to be pointing straight ahead. The TRW center point marking looks something like this:

It is very faint; you will have to look carefully to find it.

Yes, TRW seems to use several different suppliers. And in some cases they are using original castings. I have seen TRW units that have VW/AUDI ground off the exterior. I have seen TRW units that are labeled TRW on the exterior. All of the TRW roller shafts that I have seen have the VW/AUDI marking ground off. Here is a brand new TRW roller shaft that I have in stock.

Good luck.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

The one I bought was very tight. I could barely turn it with my fingers. I have to grab it with my entire hand. Everything else seems spot on. If all else, I'll drive it till it fails and maybe I can use it to rebuild an original.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Please stay on topic.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon May 22, 2017 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Hey Larry!

Was that bit meant for me?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Hey Larry, or Curly if you prefer, I looked over the thread again that I read 3 months ago. You're right. It does show that TRW has VW and Audi stamped on their components. Go figure.

AP is aircraft mechanic? Do you still work on planes? I was supposed to buy a 66 Beetle today from an Aircraft mechanic. He sold it before I could get over there.
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Are the TRW and VW worm shafts completely interchangeable without issues? From what I have read here I am guessing yes. The reason I ask is I have some pitting on the VW shaft bearing surfaces, and the other option is to machine it off and shim. I can get NOS TRW worm gears quite cheaply though.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

alikatcraig wrote:
I can get NOS TRW worm gears quite cheaply though.

Where do you get those?
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

TRW
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

alikatcraig wrote:
Are the TRW and VW worm shafts completely interchangeable without issues?

Yes, Both, the worm shaft and roller shafts are interchangeable. I.E. TRW has not changed the internal design.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

alikatcraig wrote:
TRW

Although, TRW is no longer TRW. They are ZF: ZF Friedrichshafen AG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRW_Automotive

An interesting (and futile) exercise to search through their online catalogs.
http://www.trwcep.com.br/index.html?lang=pt&query=beetle
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Interesting you brought that up. I noticed that earlier. TRW and Sachs are owned by the same company.

OKType3Tim wrote:
alikatcraig wrote:
TRW

Although, TRW is no longer TRW. They are ZF: ZF Friedrichshafen AG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRW_Automotive

An interesting (and futile) exercise to search through their online catalogs.
http://www.trwcep.com.br/index.html?lang=pt&query=beetle
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

So I looked at the worm shaft from the worn box, and it had pitting on the bearing surfaces, worse on the middle one. As the shaft is very hard, I talked with the guys at work and we ground the end bearing surface whilst doing another job. The middle one will be done next when we break the set-up. My question is, I am assuming the 80+ RWC hardness figure to not just be surface hardness. Do I sacrifice a shaft to test this opinion? Rather than scrapping otherwise good shafts is this something that can be done in batches and the shafts returned to use with appropriate shimming? Perhaps Tim can comment? Pitting on the rest of the shaft can also be ground down, hard chromed, and finish ground to size. It might not be something people want to consider doing now, but in the not too distant future there may be no more TRW boxes, and then where will we be? I have a new shaft on the way to replace it anyway, so this is my test piece.

BEFORE
AFTER
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

A few thoughts:

Reworking this end isn't to bad since you will be able to take up the change in length by screwing in the big adjuster nut.

Reworking the bearing surface in the middle of the shaft will be harder to deal with. I've seen that same pitting, and you are going to remove a good bit of material to get rid of that pitting. That will have to be made up with a more shim thickness than normal. I.E. You will probably have to stack them. Doable, but just a thought.

alikatcraig wrote:
My question is, I am assuming the 80+ RWC hardness figure to not just be surface hardness. Do I sacrifice a shaft to test this opinion?

I'm not qualified to provide an answer to this. I don't know what hardening process is used on the shafts nor do I know how those different processes penetrate. Earlier in this thread a test was done, but it was only valid for the surface hardness. We didn't turn off the top layer and then retest.

It would be useful (from my perspective) information to know.

A general question back (to alikatcraig and anyone else): For the effort involved in
Quote:
the shaft can also be ground down, hard chromed, and finish ground to size.
would it be just as well to start with a new blank, turn to finish size and send it out to be hardened?

For those with the skill, once you have the pattern; I would suppose that a CNC machine could turn these out pretty quickly. ??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 24

Jump to: