Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

An Allstate rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Been making some headway on the trailer. Little by little I finally got it to the primer seal and paint stage. It's been a slow process due to weather but I'm happy with the outcome so far. Accenting the raised portion of the top sides with black and am masking them off today to paint the color on them then onto the trailer bed. Hope to have this painted today so I can get some clear on it tomorrow. Almost there. Enjoy...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Undercoated the underside of the support pieces...

I opted for a more simpler tail light bracket...

My accent color painted on...

fenders got their share...

Tailgate too...

Started masking the accent off. Will finish that off then paint the sides...

This project is coming along nicely and look forward to the assembly portion of my build.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

The last couple of days have been too crappy to paint the rest of the trailer. Cold, winds and now some rain. Forecast looks promising for the end of this week. I was able to mask off the accent so I can paint the sides as well as get the tires mounted.

Yesterday I picked up the final pieces of hardware to secure the slats to the rack and I am very pleased for being my first rack built.

Look forward to this weekends fun!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Had a great day today with the trailer. Got the color on and it looks really nice. Look forward to removing the tape over the accent. Tomorrow will get some coats of clear shot...

Decided to spray the Handle and the locking latch Black to offset the a little...

Also sprayed primer the top portion of the clam. Working this piece will be a challenge...

More to follow tomorrow!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

I have some work to do with the my first three coats of clear. Have some block sanding to knock down a few runs then shoot it again. My accents came out really nice I must say and look forward to getting this thing put back together and closing the loop on the secondary coating to the inside of the bed.

Sorry for the blur...

Look forward to some blocking and re-coating.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Finished my block sanding of the bed. I'm at a stand-still as snow has arrived here. Gives me some time to work on the hinges for this thing. When the weather cooperates, I can get the next coats of clear on it and then do the inner bed and underside clean up and start to re-assemble the top so I can get the large piece on. This thing is going to look awesome when completed.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Today I was mucking around with the hinges of my clam shell. I fabricated my own locking mechanism for the hinge. Look forward to putting this on and seeing if the results work. The mounting holes will be drilled once I get the measurements dialed in...

I also got two old school lawn chairs and have the webbing replaced. I have some small fasteners to get tomorrow to finish the second chair but I'm digging them.

My hopes for tomorrow is the weather improving to the point that I can get the remaining coats of clear sprayed on the trailer bed. Then move on the smaller pieces that need some love as well.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Today I was mucking around with the hinges of my clam shell. I fabricated my own locking mechanism for the hinge. Look forward to putting this on and seeing if the results work. The mounting holes will be drilled once I get the measurements dialed in...

I also got two old school lawn chairs and have the webbing replaced. I have some small fasteners to get tomorrow to finish the second chair but I'm digging them.

My hopes for tomorrow is the weather improving to the point that I can get the remaining coats of clear sprayed on the trailer bed. Then move on the smaller pieces that need some love as well.

Wow! Haven't seen chairs like that since I was about (age redacted), and having burgers at my grandparents (years redacted) ago. Funny thing; those chairs were timeless-looking, and they weighed almost nothing. I tip my hat to that designer.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks Panicman. I thought it to be a good addition to the wagen.

Today I spent time working on the suspension and spare tire bracket. the bushings were a pain to find and so an alternate bushing was used. I put the suspension in place...

I also got the spare tire bracket mounted...

I have to get the washer piece put together to lock the tire in place.

Hopefully will try to get some more done Monday.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Made some progress today. I was able to get the suspension put together with a few trips to the hardware store, It all came together.

The spare tire bracket came out fairly well. I refit it with different bolts...

Totally digging the wheels. I need to get the tounge hitch so I can stance correct. Really close to where I want it to be. Here's a pic of it on uneven ground...
. Looks really close on lever ground. Still have to do some wet sanding and clear coating to get the fenders sorted out along with the tailgate. The brake brackets also need some clear. More progress is in for tomorrow.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

A little motivation to get the trailer completed...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Good looking setup, but we still need to see it with the clam shell top on it! Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Mike. The weather has been keeping me moving forward on this. The past few days allowed me to make some headway on it. The top got it's sealer, paint and clear. I made the most of the day on it...

Next up was placing the fender on the trailer...

The top was allowed to rest in the garage to dry up...

After work today, I wet sanded the top down with some 400grit and get it ready for tomorrow as I have the day off and possibly will be able to get this piece clear coated with the final 3 coats...

So far This project has been a positive one with my neighbors giving me the 'thumbs up' while driving past. My hope is to have the clam shell top put together this weekend. Still have the wiring to get sorted out but have a plan of attack on it.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Spent the day putting this clam shell cover together. Was a bit of a pain as the single top piece was a PITA to maneuver pieces to fit to it. Eventually I was able to get it sorted out with some help. The hinges are not completely installed and putting a re-enforcement piece put on the inside to take on the weight of the shell. Should have that taken care of tomorrow. Then spend the remainder of the day getting the wiring put together. All in all, it fits my vision of what I wanted to put together. Totally digging it!

Have to clean it up and buff it.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Gonna look sweet rolling into VW Shows & Campgrounds! Cool

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, look forward to it. I very pleased with this project. I have had a few setbacks with it and the day before yesterday was no different. I had purchased some weather stripping to place on the bottom of the clamshell to seal both pieces. The piece is exactly what I was looking for so I'm using it. As a result my hinge bracket came up short. Old pic of the brackets...

So with that new, small challenge, I set out to find some flat stock I could use to fab up a new set. Sure enough, I was able to find and make a set of brackets. Today I head over to my buddys to weld the pivot tubing onto them (my welders at his place as his crapped out). Then clean them up and get hem painted. I did make a stealth run to the car wash and the car pulled it just fine even though I was going a little slow. Once I get the electricals sorted out I have to take it to get weighed so I can apply for tags. Almost done!

The cars fender skirts are almost done. Cutting and buffing them to put them back on. Cool

Have couple of things left to do:
- Install the reflectors to the tailgate
- In the bracket to secure the clamshell top to the tailgate
- Wire the trailer
- Test my prototype inner hinge assembly. If it works, then make another.
- Complete the hinge brackets and paint/clear
- Buff the fenders as I already cut them and clean everything up
Should have some of these items done today!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

I’m please to write that the trailer is near completion. The last couple of items have been accomplished:
- Install the reflectors to the tailgate - Done
- Install the bracket to secure the clamshell top to the tailgate - Done
- Wire the trailer –Done

- Cut, buff and polish the fenders and clamshell top and clean everything up – In progress
I’ve currently removed the clamshell top and started the cutting and buffing process and that meant taking the rack off. Once completed with that I’ll get started on the inner hinge(s)

- Test my prototype inner hinge assembly. If it works, then make another – Pending
- Complete the hinge brackets and paint/clear – Pending

The clamshell is not lite by no means and the prototype hinge I made to hold it up may be flimsy. I don’t have an original one and have studies pictures of them and came up with my own design. I may need to make another with thicker flat stock and instead of using a rivet as my hinge point, use a bolt to hold the hinge together.

The wiring of the trailer was straight forward. Used the following pieces to build a harness (the parts used aren't the only ones available. These worked for my application):
-Tail lights used were made by PM lighting, Model #V428S.
-Wiring was made by Deka, Model #00907. Basically a roll of 25’ or so of color coded trailer wire. I could have used wired with the terminal set up already but I wasn’t sure of which side to use. I had already bought an extension with the ends and so it was cut and spliced to the hitching side, heat shrank and protected with a piece of plastic conduit.

The car on the other hand was a little different. Being that each of the lights(turn, brake and tail) are separate and the trailers lights had a tail and brake function as one light, a converter had to be incorporated. For the cars harness, I used a Curt Tail light Converter, model #56130. This harness took a three way lighting and converted it to a two way. The setup is pretty easy as you connect all the wiring to the rear driver side of the car using a two-one blade connection to the tail light assembly and run the extended wire provided to the Passenger side turn signal. Ground the wiring and you’re pretty much done. Granted, each of the wires end points need termination so you’ll have to get those and the applicable tools to tackle that, some heat shrink and a means to secure the wire to the underside of both the trailer and car.

After testing the trailer with my trucks harness and after completing the cars harness install, the test was a success first time around. The square now has the ability to light a trailer if it has a 4-way connection.

Will post some pics of the end result on my buffing of the shell results in a day or two
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Couple of shots of my car and trailer set up. Totally stoked with the finished product...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Zambia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

I give that a thumbs up for sure!
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Zambia wrote:
I give that a thumbs up for sure!

Thank! Couldn't be happier with the results of this project.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Where did you find the tires?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: