Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold idle weirdness...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
piruvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Cold idle weirdness... Reply with quote

This topics been covered to death, I know. But I can't seem to find this specific issue. I start my van cold...it idles smooth around 1000RPM for around a minute then idle fluctuates wildly between 1000 and 0 and then it dies. If I hold down the gas pedal while it warms up or drive it down the street, idle eventually stabilizes as it gets warmer. Once warmed up idle is between 950-1000 and fairly smooth (for a vanagon) and I'm good for the rest of my drive.

I've tested TPS...working. Idle stabilizer is vibrating. Bad Temp II sender? Help?
jcbattman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold idle weirdness... Reply with quote

Need tune up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold idle weirdness... Reply with quote

Check the hoses and rubber going form the IACV and the hose from Crankcase vent to the air cleaner, as well as the small vacuum lines.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
piruvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cold idle weirdness... Reply with quote

Just did a tune up 6 months ago. What is the IAVC?
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cold idle weirdness... Reply with quote

piruvan wrote:

Idle Air Control Valve. The thing you're calling an Idle Stabilizer. It buzzes/hums (or should) with the key on.

With the engine idling, try unplugging it. Does the van still stumble and want to quit? It'l definitely be a shittier warmup without, but does it alleviate your symptoms when unplugged? If so, there's your culprit. If not, it's not the droid you're looking for.

While you're at it, test all your vacuum connections. Acquire a can of carb spray. With the engine idling, spray around your vacuum/intake lines in the engine bay. If the engine revs while you're spraying, you found a vacuum leak. Fix it.

If you find your ICV to be the culprit, remove it and check the valve for gunk, make sure it can still recess and spring back properly. I've seen some pretty dirty ones unable to operate regardless of humming.
HarpertownUSA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold idle weirdness... Reply with quote

Hey I have had the exact same thing happening, I replaced the Temp II (its cheap and easy to replace so a good first step) and cleaned the ICV with carb cleaner and it improved significantly. It stabilizes quite a bit faster but sometimes I still have to feather the throttle. I also just did a tune up so probably not that.... I have a feeling my icv is on the weak side...

One thought is the idle control system is programmed to raise the idle from 850? Rpms (what the idle should be according to Bentley) mine also holds strong at about 1000. It starts to seem kind of weak at around 850. So maybe because the idle rpm is raised it isn't controlling the idle right at start up..

I'm not a pro by any means but I've been exploring this same issue and just trying give some insight.

Lee

"Little Debbie" - 89 Carat Weekender
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold idle weirdness... Reply with quote

I chased an issue such as this for almost a year before finally replacing the AFM, which did the trick.
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cold idle weirdness... Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
I chased an issue such as this for almost a year before finally replacing the AFM, which did the trick.

AFM? I am chasing the issue too.

My vanagon cant idle for crap until it is warmed up. Dies right away, consistently until it is warm. Then idles great. Replaced temp sensor, checked the ohms and the new one is running correctly. I checked TPS and for vacuum leaks. Did a full tune up & new O2 sensor.

How did you isolate /check the AFM as your issue?

Thanks for any insight you can give!
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold idle weirdness... Reply with quote

Phaedrus wrote:
piruvan wrote:

Idle Air Control Valve. The thing you're calling an Idle Stabilizer. It buzzes/hums (or should) with the key on.

With the engine idling, try unplugging it. Does the van still stumble and want to quit? It'l definitely be a shittier warmup without, but does it alleviate your symptoms when unplugged? If so, there's your culprit. If not, it's not the droid you're looking for.

While you're at it, test all your vacuum connections. Acquire a can of carb spray. With the engine idling, spray around your vacuum/intake lines in the engine bay. If the engine revs while you're spraying, you found a vacuum leak. Fix it.

If you find your ICV to be the culprit, remove it and check the valve for gunk, make sure it can still recess and spring back properly. I've seen some pretty dirty ones unable to operate regardless of humming.

I cleaned my ICV good, and it's clean but I don't hear humming at all when key is on. I also don't know what you mean by does it "recess and spring back properly"

I'm having a cold start issue too. Idles fine (950-1000 rpm) at warm engine temps, but rich. Disconnecting ICV does very little to idle (drops to 900 rpm, but doesn't die).
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold idle weirdness... Reply with quote

On a 1990 Vanagon, 2.1 waterboxer, digifant, I am unsure where the "both plugs together" https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2CCmkGhOodlbk4xaDdvUlZ1OVU

I know this page is on the digijet page (28.38 in Bentley) so is the idle stabilizer different on digijet versus Digifant? I'm looking at only one plug on my idle stabilizer.
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold idle weirdness... Reply with quote

erikgundy98 wrote:
On a 1990 Vanagon, 2.1 waterboxer, digifant, I am unsure where the "both plugs together" https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2CCmkGhOodlbk4xaDdvUlZ1OVU

I know this page is on the digijet page (28.38 in Bentley) so is the idle stabilizer different on digijet versus Digifant? I'm looking at only one plug on my idle stabilizer.

Completely different systems/process. Looks at the directions for the 2.1 digifant fuel injection. For digifant you'll be disconnecting the idle control circuit and the O2 sensor before setting idle at the TB. Then, (after shutting off) you'll dial it in at the AFM with both plugged back in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: