Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble shifting when warm
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble shifting when warm Reply with quote

Waiting on parts, hoping everything will be in by tomorrow so I can work on it over the weekend.

Haven't driven the bug since, as I don't want to chance breaking anything else or being stranded again.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble shifting when warm Reply with quote

Hi, why do you have the round thing in the centre of that pressure plate - like the thing pressing against the 3 fingers? I've not seen that b4. Is that some sort of improvement or what's it's purpose? The throwout bearing normally just pushes on the 3 fingers, so I'm wondering what that's for. It's in the first pics u posted of the new Sachs pp

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble shifting when warm Reply with quote

^ I believe it's correct; it came in a kit listed as correct for my '70 with a new throwout bearing.
There was a NOS-ish '69-ish engine posted recently that has the same style - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677148

So I finally got a chance to drop the engine and found something weird with the new Sachs pressure plate -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The center part wont return to level, it sits at an angle and it seems to have damaged the throwout bearing -- it now has significant in-out play.
Look at the wear:

I'm not sure this is the whole problem, but I don't believe it's a good thing.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble shifting when warm Reply with quote

The lock nuts at the base of the arms can be turned to level out the tips and ring.
It could have been caught and damaged when being installed or a poor product.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble shifting when warm Reply with quote

Poor product then..
It looked fine when I bolted it to the flywheel (see first post of this topic), and I'm positive I didn't disturb anything while installing the engine.

Looking at the before/after pictures the adjustment bolts haven't moved. The angle of the two pictures aren't exactly the same, but it's good enough

The grease in the 'after' is post-engine removal, should have washed my hands before handling it.

Guess I'll email Sachs and see if they'll honor the warranty, though tbh I'm not sure I want to put anything Sachs made back on my car.

What symptoms would that cause?
I'm trying to think if it explains the shifting problem and I'm not sure it does.
Might explain the noise and the engine rpm drop at idle if it was rubbing hard on the throwout bearing.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble shifting when warm Reply with quote

Possibly improper installation, input shaft hit the collar on pressure plate during engine install. Easy to do Crying or Very sad lesson learned.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble shifting when warm Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Possibly improper installation, input shaft hit the collar on pressure plate during engine install. Easy to do Crying or Very sad lesson learned.

I really don't think I did though. This engine install was slower than most as I didn't have a helping hand, so I rigged a slightly elaborate system with my floor jack, a 2"x12", and a come-a-long (gravel drive, funtimes) and very slowly eased it up and in. I watched it all the way, it did not catch.

And for grins, if I did hit the collar on the transmission shaft it would have just popped back out right?
I messed with it yesterday, seeing if I could get it flat again by depressing and releasing the pressure plate at various angles, but it always returned to the angle pictured above.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble shifting when warm Reply with quote

Ah well. Sachs wants you to do warranty claims via the seller, and I bought the kit from a small shop on eBay.
He may be able to process the claim, but I'm not sure it's worth weeks of wait time.. esp as there's a decent chance they'll blame the vehicle or install.

I also didn't have the flywheel resurfaced, which they list online as one of the requirements for clutch warranty work. Only had 20k miles on it, looked fine.

Guess I'll use the Brazil pressure plate with the Slovak clutch disk and hope for the best.

Might pull the transmission all the way out and pop the nose off, see if I see anything wrong with the big bearing in there.. I'm not convinced that the weird clutch issue is my whole problem here.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble shifting when warm Reply with quote

Slow progress.. bug chose a bad time to go down, haven't had much time for it.
Fixed now though.

I did put it back together with the old Brazil pressure plate and new Slovak disk, along with a new shift coupling + bushing, new transmission mounts, throwout bearing, and a new gland nut. Growl at idle was even worse, so the trans def. has something wrong inside.

Found a used transmission, local shop was parting out a '72 beetle.
So I guess the above pressure plate issue is moot, I upgraded to the new style.. which does seem like an improvement.
Still think it's weird, but whatever. New style can't do that.

Swapped in the replacement trans over the weekend with a new collar-less Sachs Brazil pressure plate, throwout bearing, and the Slovak clutch disk; growl at idle is gone and the car shifts normally.
It's nice to finally have it back on the road.
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble shifting when warm Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
Slow progress.. bug chose a bad time to go down, haven't had much time for it.
Fixed now though.

I did put it back together with the old Brazil pressure plate and new Slovak disk, along with a new shift coupling + bushing, new transmission mounts, throwout bearing, and a new gland nut. Growl at idle was even worse, so the trans def. has something wrong inside.

Found a used transmission, local shop was parting out a '72 beetle.
So I guess the above pressure plate issue is moot, I upgraded to the new style.. which does seem like an improvement.
Still think it's weird, but whatever. New style can't do that.

Swapped in the replacement trans over the weekend with a new collar-less Sachs Brazil pressure plate, throwout bearing, and the Slovak clutch disk; growl at idle is gone and the car shifts normally.
It's nice to finally have it back on the road.

CONGRATS

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: