Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Clean off all the rust. Primer with epoxy high zinc content primer.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I really wish i had a sandblast to clean this all up and paint it correctly, but i think i'll have to wait another time.

it will never be as easy as now to clean up this area. get in there, it is worth it

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

So can someone enlighten me and tell me how this

is supposed to go in there?

I got the workshop manual for '52 '57 beetle, which i figured would be similar, but i can't find these 2 round thing and where they go. What are they attached to? What are they holding?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

You need to get the later Bus workshop manual or the 1960s Beetle workshop manual that deal with the tunnel case transaxle for that area.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Yeah. For what i need tho, it will do. It explains pretty much all i need.

I got the answer for my issue. The sleeves the fulcrum and the axle go in wasnt in deep enough, and the ring + thing with holes have room once its deep enough.

Gonna get a tool tomorrow to close these and will finish the install.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

well, i bought the tool i needed, and got to work..

Almost done!

An issue i faced, this time i'm pretty sure i did something wrong.

On one side, the pin could be easily inserted, with enough room for a few more turn if needed

On the other side, complete opposite...

Should i take it apart? Did i install something incorrectly? Everything is in there (well, i have no part left after the install!)
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

seems like it is time to take it all apart again.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
seems like it is time to take it all apart again.
Should i take everything apart?

I managed to get the C clip in on both side, so my guess would be i screwed up something at the other end?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
I managed to get the C clip in on both side, so my guess would be i screwed up something at the other end?

Did you put the thrust washer on first on both sides before the internal snap-ring? Did the axle ever droop before you slid on the tubes and bolted it on? You sent out and had the carrier section done at a shop, right? Not sure what spacer you use out at the seal but you got those on, right?
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

Did you put the thrust washer on first on both sides before the internal snap-ring? Did the axle ever droop before you slid on the tubes and bolted it on? You sent out and had the carrier section done at a shop, right? Not sure what spacer you use out at the seal but you got those on, right?

the small washer that goes between the snap-ring and the fulcrum assembly? yes.

axle drop before sliding on the tube, i'm not sure i understand that. Could the fulcrum move once the snap-ring is installed?

Erm, which part is the carrier section?

I used the spacer that were with the axle. and i installed them, as far as i can tell, in the same order they were.

I basically took everything that was assemble apart to put the shaft back in the transmission, while replacing the rubber and paper seal.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
axle drop before sliding on the tube, i'm not sure i understand that. Could the fulcrum move once the snap-ring is installed?

I never had it happen but people have said that the axle can come out too far after the snap ring is on (in my opinion it could only happen it the axle and or the tube with the axle were at an extreme angle) and a fulcrum plate can fall behind the spade making the axle stick out too far.

Enkiel wrote:

The ring and pinion and all that stuff side to side in there was not messed with by you, right?

Enkiel wrote:
I used the spacer that were with the axle. and i installed them, as far as i can tell, in the same order they were. I basically took everything that was assemble apart to put the shaft back in the transmission, while replacing the rubber and paper seal.

Then you're probably ok. Was it like that (short and long) before?
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Enkiel wrote:

I never had it happen but people have said that the axle can come out too far after the snap ring is on (in my opinion it could only happen it the axle and or the tube with the axle were at an extreme angle) and a fulcrum plate can fall behind the spade making the axle stick out too far.

You think that's why one is sticking too far out? I have to admit i tested it a bit before completing the installation.

BarryL wrote:
Enkiel wrote:
The ring and pinion and all that stuff side to side in there was not messed with by you, right?
The only thing i did was remove the "cup" where to fulcrum and the axle goes to put everything there, then there was a "floating" little gear inside that i pushed on the side to be able to stick in thet "cup"...

Man, i don't like using the wrong word, but i'm at work, out of bentley...!

BarryL wrote:
Enkiel wrote:
I used the spacer that were with the axle. and i installed them, as far as i can tell, in the same order they were. I basically took everything that was assemble apart to put the shaft back in the transmission, while replacing the rubber and paper seal.

Then you're probably ok. Was it like that (short and long) before?

I only have one very shaky picture that i took and i can barely tell....

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

If you are worried about, like mandraks said, the only way to know for sure is take it back apart but look at every step of the reversal to try and discover if there is a situation.

If you can get the April 2017 Hot VW there is an article exactly covering what you are doing. According to their photos you did it all correct except for anything that you might have got whack or mismatched.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Doubt if this will help, but you might try switching the drums. If problem changes sides....
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Doubt if this will help, but you might try switching the drums. If problem changes sides....
That's an idea.

looking back at my pictures, i realized that both drum do not sit even on the backing plate, this could give me an idea where to start...

in other news... i checked radiator shop to get my fuel tank cleaned, and they charge.... lots of money, so i'm looking at after market... there's 3 that i found;

Cip1 has a made in usa and made in brazil one ;
http://www.cip1.ca/SearchResults.asp?Search=211-201-055&sort=7&Search1=Search

Concept1 has a Wolfsburg west one ;
http://store.concept1.ca/Gas-Tank-T2-to-1967-211201055B-WW/

Is there really any difference between the 226$ one and the 299$ one?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Why not just get some off the hardware store shelf acids and do the work yourself?? Cost should be about $40.00.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Why not just get some off the hardware store shelf acids and do the work yourself?? Cost should be about $40.00.

i considered it (well, in my case, i considered the por15 kit that supposedly does it all).

But the tank has some hardened goo/fuel inside with a fair share of surface rust. And i'm not that attached to that old tank... And knowing myself, if i decide to do it myself, it might not be done for another 6 months (considering the time i'll take to get the acid, the time i'll take to convince myself to do it safely, and actually finding time/motivation to do it)
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

So i tried switching the drum, and i think its better.

I removed the drum and measured the axle coming out of the brakes.

The "long" side was 3 1/4 inches, and the "short" side was roughly 3 3/16 inches, really just millimeter difference between the two.

So i tighten the cover nuts to roughly 43 pounds (as found on the beetle forum), and put the drum back (switching side). I didnt tighten the drum that much (since its not installed, its no easy task). I'd say that if they're at 30 pounds, i'd be impressed.

Here's the result :

Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Trying to figure out what i have exactly to order the right parts....

Nose cone : 211 301 211 G

Trans : 46 113 301 103 D - H9927307

Axle : 111 551 169B

I've tried reading the technical list, and all the forum thread about the transmission number, without much success... except that i now know that the H9927307 is the number i need to figure out the year... but that's as far as i got...
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
Trying to figure out what i have exactly to order the right parts....

Nose cone : 211 301 211 G

Trans : 46 113 301 103 D - H9927307

Axle : 111 551 169B

I've tried reading the technical list, and all the forum thread about the transmission number, without much success... except that i now know that the H9927307 is the number i need to figure out the year... but that's as far as i got...

Here's the number for what I believe to be the original trans for my August 64' flipseat and where I found the info. Maybe you can narrow it down:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

Date code:

14th day of August, 3rd shift, 1964
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: