Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

For some reason when I loaded this onto my iPhone 6S+ everything just comes up blank. I can switch from one section to another but the page never has any data on it.

I gave it a few days and ended up uninstalling it. iOS is updated to the latest. nothing was pending in the App Store updates.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
For some reason when I loaded this onto my iPhone 6S+ everything just comes up blank. I can switch from one section to another but the page never has any data on it.

I gave it a few days and ended up uninstalling it. iOS is updated to the latest. nothing was pending in the App Store updates.

Was your phones GPS on? We list repair shops and such based on your GPS location. Also, to refresh or reload a page... you pull downward and let go. This forces and app refresh...

Wish you would have mentioned something prior to uninstalling it... sorry about that.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

It's possible that it needs access to your location at all times in order to function at all. I likely said no on initial install, as this time when I loaded it up and agreed to the questions at the start - everything worked as normal.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
It's possible that it needs access to your location at all times in order to function at all. I likely said no on initial install, as this time when I loaded it up and agreed to the questions at the start - everything worked as normal.

Perfect! Thanks for giving it another try!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

Abel,

not sure if you already have this shop

Mechanical Advantage
404 New Hartford Rd, Barkhamsted, CT 06063
(860) 738-1480
Wednesday 8:30AM–4:29PM
Thursday 8:30AM–4:29PM
Friday 8:30AM–4:29PM
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed
Monday 8:30AM–4:29PM
Tuesday 8:30AM–4:29PM

https://goo.gl/maps/HGGFD8HyLz62
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Abel,

not sure if you already have this shop

Mechanical Advantage
404 New Hartford Rd, Barkhamsted, CT 06063
(860) 738-1480

I did not... I just added it to both the Bus Shops and Vanagon Shops repair listings... Thanks!

If anyone has some they'd like to recommend you can post them here and I can get them added. Usually just a name and city/state is sufficient. Thanks!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
Well, that would be a bummer. I don't like broadcasting my location all the time, and keep GPS off unless I need it to save battery. I know, I'm a luddite.

Here's another shop:

Sanchez VW and Cycle
2808 Industrial Rd.
Santa Fe, NM
505-471-8851

I know he does air-cooled. Not sure about later Vanagons.

Kudos for this! I know it's a lot of work, and we appreciate it!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Well, that would be a bummer. I don't like broadcasting my location all the time, and keep GPS off unless I need it to save battery. I know, I'm a luddite.

You could always just turn GPS on when you're needing to locate a Driveway Camp Host or Repair Shop. Then it'll list them in order of closest to your current location.

jtauxe wrote:
Here's another shop:

Sanchez VW and Cycle
2808 Industrial Rd.
Santa Fe, NM
505-471-8851

I know he does air-cooled. Not sure about later Vanagons.

Kudos for this! I know it's a lot of work, and we appreciate it!

Awesome! I'll get them added ASAP.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:

I did not... I just added it to both the Bus Shops and Vanagon Shops repair listings... Thanks!

If anyone has some they'd like to recommend you can post them here and I can get them added. Usually just a name and city/state is sufficient. Thanks!

Hilltop Motors

Jacksonville, FL
(904) 768-9961

Hugo's

Gainesville, FL
(352) 373-8247

Both companies are family owned/operated and have been around since the 1960's. I know the owners of both places. They are knowledgeable and will be an excellent resource. Hope this helps! Cool
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:

Hilltop Motors

Jacksonville, FL
(904) 768-9961

Hugo's

Gainesville, FL
(352) 373-8247

Both companies are family owned/operated and have been around since the 1960's. I know the owners of both places. They are knowledgeable and will be an excellent resource. Hope this helps! Cool

Awesome... Just added them...
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
white74westy wrote:

Hilltop Motors

Jacksonville, FL
(904) 768-9961

Hugo's

Gainesville, FL
(352) 373-8247

Awesome... Just added them...

Cool, thanks!

I noticed that Hugo's was listed, but am yet to see Hilltop. Does it take a while to upload? Question
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

Should be there now... I see it on my app. Weird.

When you're looking at the listing of the shops, try swiping downward making the app do a refresh... lemme know.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
Should be there now... I see it on my app. Weird.

When you're looking at the listing of the shops, try swiping downward making the app do a refresh... lemme know.

Good to go!
VW.parrothead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

Thank you!

Repair shop:
First Automotive Service, Inc.
2640 Evans Avenue
Ft. Myers, FL 33901
(239) 440-6031

Parts store: (if you decide to add these)
Partco
(239) 939-2009
(call and leave message with what you need and they will call you back - no set store hours)
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

Thanks to Jason & Kim (@mimzy_travels) in Houston for hosting Demelza and Chris (@demelzacoralie) from the UK. Demelza found Jason via the VanAlert app and made arrangements to driveway camp for a couple of days while they catch an Astros game and do a little sightseeing.

Safe travels Demelza/Chris!

If you've downloaded the VanAlert app and want to also become a Driveway Camp Host simply go to the ADD DRIVEWAY submission form and fill it out... Makes for a great way to meet like minded travelers passing through your area...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

We're up to 137 shops that work on buses... These are crowdsourced by our users.

I still have about 200 more Vanagon shops to vet in order to see if they also repair aircooled buses. It's coming along!

HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

We're looking for some user feedback on how to make the app better. Take a quick 2 minute survey by visiting:

https://goo.gl/k7nysz

There's a $50 Amazon gift card up for grabs to one lucky random winner...

Thanks
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

I highly recommend that every vanagon/Bus owner take the time to properly document their vehicle at least once a year. The past couple of Stolen Van Reports I've gotten have had very old and outdated photos of the van that was stolen. Old photos do no good in helping recover your stolen van.

Do yourself a favor. Make time to properly photograph your van/bus from every side and corner. This will greatly help the chances that your van will be recovered if it's ever stolen. Now take things one step further, go ahead and photograph the interior and engine bay as well for insurance purposes.

If for some reason the van is stolen and not recovered, now you have documented photos of the condition of the entire vehicle in order to help you reach a good settlement. It's best to have all of these photos set aside someplace safe on your computer or on your phone for easy access.

HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

Two stolen vehicles recovered this week!

...and another grateful Driveway Camp guest!

Thanks!
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

Extremely cool and useful! I downloaded it and will recommend it to my other bus friends
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: