Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Soldering old, corroded copper wires (how to w/pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldering old, corroded copper wires (how to w/pics) Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

...one good pigeon-poop solder pic from a fledgling newby and the whole forum is HOPPING Smile Smile Smile

Admit it Ed, you've been trolling us from the start... Very Happy
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldering old, corroded copper wires (how to w/pics) Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Thanks so much Sodo for this help! [and everyone else also!] This place is a Gold Mine full of wonderful, generous, and KNOWLEDGABLE Dudes!

And dudettes... just sayin'. Wink

epowell wrote:
You have to admit, this foto is priceless Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
[pic]

When I first ventured into soldering, that's about what my solder job looked like (wires were twisted in the parallel style though). Laughing However, I practiced-practiced-practiced! on scrap wire first.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Soldering old, corroded copper wires (how to w/pics) Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Thanks Sodo and responders, great info!

Yes it is... and my van is absolutely FULL of these kinds of bogus electrical connections. Just when I was thinking that I was 'getting ahead' with my van, I now realize that I need to not only learn soldering properly, but go thru ALL the wiring (eventually), and re-do most if not all of it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Soldering old, corroded copper wires (how to w/pics) Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Wow! Soldering is a popular topic! [even more than welding!]
...one good pigeon-poop solder pic from a fledgling newby and the whole forum is HOPPING Smile Smile Smile

Thanks so much Sodo for this help! [and everyone else also!] This place is a Gold Mine full of wonderful, generous, and KNOWLEDGABLE Dudes!

You have to admit, this foto is priceless Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We all started here , until some one taught us better, or until the Internet.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Soldering old, corroded copper wires (how to w/pics) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:
I can't hardly believe I'm the only person on this board that uses acid flux.

So you recommend acid flux on stranded wires in a corrosive environment?

If OK, this is exactly what members need to know.

I do. The advantage of a good solder outweighs any disadvantage of excess paste on the metal. The paste I use is greasy and is only corrosive when hot. A good paste vaporizes totally at soldering temperature, leaving no residue. Use it sparingly, I do sometimes use a solvent to to remove excess, especially when soldering delicate boards:

cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Soldering old, corroded copper wires (how to w/pics) Reply with quote

Wife said that since I am old, corroded and tired.....er wired Razz , I should be able to appreciate this thread, which I do. I'm always out in the shop puttzing around with the welder, soldering iron, torch, etc.

It's always nice to learn different way to resolve such issues. I use steel wool or sand paper to help remove corrosion off of wires just as you would on copper pipes right before applying heat.

Craig
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Soldering old, corroded copper wires (how to w/pics) Reply with quote

I liked the cleaning of flux, but my customers insisted I flux off, so I stopped.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Soldering old, corroded copper wires (how to w/pics) Reply with quote

Liquid acid flux works great.
A Little Dab will do ya.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldering old, corroded copper wires (how to w/pics) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I liked the cleaning of flux, but my customers insisted I flux off, so I stopped.

If any of my customer said that, I would tell them to flux you. To each their own I guess.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: