Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Epic Jeep road trip
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

Little back story. As some may or may not know my sister is stationed in Washington state on a carrier in the Navy. For the last 5 moths, and for the next 19 months, the wife and I will be watching my nephew until she's back. Well next week she deploys for 9 months.

So this weekend my sister is flying me, my wife, and her son (2 years old) up to Washington for the 3 day holiday weekend so she can see her son one last time before she deploys. And because my sister doesn't want to leave her car unattended for almost a year the wifey and I and my 2 year old nephew will be driving it back 800 miles from Bremerton, WA to Stockton, CA. Doesn't seem so bad right? Well here's the car we're driving back.

Lifted Jeep Wrangler Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has a bunch of cool upgrades. Mild lift, 33" tires, $1000+ roof rack, $1500 Warn winch, Smittybilt front bumper/stinger, rock sliders. Aside from the garbage gas mileage, and what I'm predicting will be a harsh ride, I'm super stoked. Also going to stop and see an old friend in Oregon on the way back home. I love road trips and I'm definitely looking forward to this. We'll try and take a bunch of pictures along the way for those who care. When we get to WA we're going to buy and install a hi lift jack just in case we need to change a tire on the return trip. Once we get home I'm going to instal a 50" light bar on the front of the rack. Can't wait!

Future plans will include tube fenders, synthetic winch cable, roll cage upgrade, and 35" tires. Should be a fun ride for the upcoming California summer. If anyone else has a Jeep, or other 4x4, hit me up. I'll be making a few trips out to Posmo and Hollister Hills this summer.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

Sounds like fun (for the first 150 miles.) Why would you invest $ in a vehicle that wasn't yours? Or subject it to offroad abuse? For the kind of money that you are looking to put into it, you could put into a bug which would be just as capable offroad & you wouldn't be tearing up someone else's vehicle.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

nice looking jeep...

if wife agrees, its definately my next daily driver.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

It's a jeep thing. If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand Very Happy
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

I am sure your sis is proud of her rack! I hope you enjoy the trip and your sis has a trouble free deployment.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:

just sold 92 xj 2 door.. got a 98 zj V8 AWD .. love it.. and it is a jeep thing
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:

This sounds like a reply from someone that can not come up with a good answer.

How can you presume to know what someone else can or can not understand ?
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

Luft kühl wrote:
cbeck wrote:

This sounds like a reply from someone that can not come up with a good answer.

How can you presume to know what someone else can or can not understand ?

its a saying.. a very very popular saying.. so much they make bumper stickers with the saying.. like owning a vw bug and trying to explain to someone that has no clue the engine is in the rear.. its a vw thing..
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

My uncles were all military, and my dad international business, so there was a fair amount of leaving cars with family 'for the duration'. You expected to get it back with normal wear and tear and in the shape you left it. None of the kids were old enough to drive, and it was a time period where most folks only had one car, so it worked out well.

I have to admire you for taking on her child for so long.

Add toys to the jeep? Are you nuts? The boy is gonna need the toys!
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

my59 wrote:

I have to admire you for taking on her child for so long.

Add toys to the jeep? Are you nuts? The boy is gonna need the toys!

We might actually be taking care of him on and off for the next 9 years. After this deployment my sister will have been in for 11 years. At that point she'll probably just stay in to get her 20 and then retire. My nephew, and my two kids for that matter, have more than enough toys. So much so that literally every year around thanksgiving we gather up a ton of them and donate them to less fortunate kids in our community.

As far as putting money in to a car I don't own I see it as a way of giving back to my sister for sacrificing so much. When she returns in 9 months she'll have a pretty cool little trail rig. Sure I could put that money in to my '66, but I don't need to. My car needs nothing. Who knows, maybe in 9 months I'll make her an offer on her Jeep and all those mods will end up being for me after all. You never know.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

So my sister picked us up from the airport Saturday morning. Get in her Jeep and notice this sticker. Shit just got real. Shocked

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

Hey CAG, There's a real great car show coming up this weekend in Woodburn, Or.
NW Bug Run on June 3rd. If you are going to take the week to get back home. It would be great to see ya at the show for some good swap meet hunting and drag races. This year it's supposed to be in the 70's rather than the 100's like last year.

I hope your sister has a good deployment.
I have a daughter in the Air Force. I worry about her welfare all the time. She's about to end her Alaska deployment and move onto???

Have a safe trip home.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, but sadly we'll be back in Cali tomorrow evening. Here's a couple pics of us heading in to Oregon from Washington. Had to wait at the draw bridge at the Columbia river. We're staying at a friend's house in Springfield then tomorrow we're going to take 97 and check out crater lake and Klamath Falls before heading back in to Cali.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

JBall8019 wrote:
I am sure your sis is proud of her rack! I hope you enjoy the trip and your sis has a trouble free deployment.

Laughing
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

Well we made it back to California. Logged just shy of 800 miles. Was like 795 I think. What an experience. We left Monday morning from Bremerton, WA and headed to Springfield, OR to see one of my wife's friends she hasn't seen in a few years. Hung out and BBQ'd and drank beer. Tuesday morning (today) we woke up, ate some breakfast, and hit the road. We ending up taking Hwy 97 out of Oregon all the way back in to CA. What an amazing drive that is. Mostly two lane highway through a bunch of cool little towns. Here's a few pictures from the drive home.

And I found out the Jeep has lockers. Win!!

BG Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Jeep road trip Reply with quote

They spent something like 200million a few years back planning to replace that drawbridge.It all went for engineering and consultants and consulting with engineers or whatever.The coast guard said the new bridge needed to be certain height and the plan they came up with wasn't so they just threw in the towel.Never put a shovel in the ground.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: