Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Important electrical issue for all VWs
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

Moderators - I know this is a double post, but it is also important

Well I just lost (melted) the entire electrical loom starting from under the back seat to the rear of the car on my 69 Baja (converted to alternator). This is bad enough on a stock bug, but I have a lot of extra wiring as well. I have all the additional wiring for my gauges, plus since I tow a small dirt bike trailer, I have a turn signal converter, and also trailer brakes. Now all of these wires are fused into a solid mass. So what happened?

I started it up to leave for work, gave the throttle a couple of blips to clear it, and then the engine died. What the ? I went to start it again, and I saw smoke in the rear view mirror, so I jumped out and ran to the back. There was a massive short between the alternator output wire and the fan shroud. Time being critical, I grabbed my tool box from under the hood, dug out some wire cutters and cut the alternator wire in two (burnt fingers). Once the smoke cleared, from outside and inside the car, I looked for damage.

On an internally regulated alternator, the alternator output wire is connected straight to the battery, so it always has 12V. Part of the insulation of this wire, must have worn through, then grounded out to the fan shroud. The result was that ALL of the insulation was burned off of this wire from the point of short, all the way to the battery. Since this wire is ran through the main loom, the temperature was hot enough to melt all of the wires together in the loom at the death foam area of the car. As I rewire the car, I will be moving the route of the charging wire away from the main loom.

I am usually pretty good about maintenance on my VWs, but I just plain missed this. Since it was a Baja, it must have been on the backside of the wire. Some of you may flame me, I can take it. I can also fix it, but others may not be able to. That's why I'm posting this. If I can help prevent someone else from facing this dilemma, I'll gladly walk the walk of shame.

So the moral of this story is to keep an eye on your generator / alternator charging wire, if at all questionable, replace it or put an insulating sleeve on it.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

How big of a fuse, or a fusible link would I need to protect this circuit?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
How big of a fuse, or a fusible link would I need to protect this circuit?

Unfortunately, a fuse or fusible link type system won't work in this application (I wish that it would). It takes far less amperage to cook the insulation off of the wire, then it does to charge your battery.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

Multi69s, I really don't think anyone is going to flame you for an honest post about a situation that happened to your car. Thankfully you were quick thinking enough to cut the positive lead to the battery before there was a complete melt down to the front of the car.
I have posted all of the dumb stuff that I have done to my car over the last couple of years and the response has been on the positive side of things.
We all want the best of our friends and corespondents here on the samba.
I hope you get it back on the road soon.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

Thanks for the post. I am just a few days away from hooking up all the wiring in my Baja, including the new alternator. I will be sure to protect that wire a bit better than I may have.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

That wire should probably be in a loom for just that reason
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

Man, that sucks but glad you caught it "in time" and thanks for sharing your findings. I'm about to drop the engine on my '72 Super for other maintenance work and will add this to the list of items to possibly re-engineer.

Just to be sure, this would be one of the wires that runs to the 4-wire junction under the driver-side rear, correct?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

That would be correct. I stole this picture from the gallery, and they wired it a little different.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The wire is the red one coming out of the chassis labeled "to alternator". All of the insulation was melted off of it, plus it passed through the junction, and burned off the insulation on the black wired labeled "to battery". So all of the wires that are going through the black grommet into the chassis were melted together. I am rewiring it right now, and instead of running the alternator wire through this loom, I will use a grommet and run it down the passenger side straight to the battery.
My builds
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

Even my 74 Celica had a fusible link on the main battery wire, never got why vw didn't.

I Run a circuit breaker on mine at the battery, saved my bacon already when the main wire pulled out of the connector block at the regulator and hit the heater Y pipe.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

I plan on running the alternator wire straight to the starter #30 I believe. Then pull power for the car off of the battery, and fuse it.
My builds
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

Got to love Scotch locks!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
I plan on running the alternator wire straight to the starter #30 I believe. Then pull power for the car off of the battery, and fuse it.

That is a good plan. It is how I wired my beach buggy. You can fuse the output of the alternator, the fuse needs to be slightly greater than the alternator output rating and right at the alternator to do any good. I have not done that.

There are other things on a Bug not fused to consider. VW didn't fuse the main power wire going to the front of the car. They never fused the ignition coil wire retuning to the back of the car. On older cars the front parking lights where not fused, going back more years the low beam headlights where not fused.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Multi69s wrote:

That is a good plan. It is how I wired my beach buggy.

Agreed. If you want to avoid passing the alternator B+ wire along side the wiring harness you can re-route the heavy gauge wire to the starter solenoid stud where the battery cable attaches.

EVfun wrote:
You can fuse the output of the alternator, the fuse needs to be slightly greater than the alternator output rating and right at the alternator to do any good. I have not done that.

Adding a fuse or a circuit breaker on the heavy red wire near the B+ stud of the alternator will help to protect the wire in case it shorts while the engine is running, but in the above example where the engine was running you would need TWO fuses/circuit breakers. Even if the OP had installed a fusible link near the B+ stud and it had blow when the wire shorted to ground... the other end of the same wire is still connected to the battery and would have continued to overheat/melt. You would also need a fuse near the battery on the red wire that runs from the battery post to the junction with the #30 wire running to the front of the car.

Edit: By running the B+ wire to the starter another problem is created. ... The battery cable between the positive batter post and the stud on the starter solenoid is not normally fused. If the alternator B+ wire shorts to ground and the fuse near the alternator blows where can you install a fuse on the battery-side of the circuit? Either you need a high amp fuse on the battery cable (fusible link?) or you install a fuse down near the starter.
The better/easier option is to put extra protection in place to avoid shorting the wire.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

Got the Baja wired and ready to go. It was hell of a lot of work. If I had the time, I would have ordered a harness and started fresh from front to back. However, I was on a time constraint since we are going to Pismo in a couple of days. Luckily I had some partial looms in my stash, so I had just enough wire (correct colors) to go from under the rear seat to the engine compartment, that meant one hell of a lot of wire striping, soldering, and heat shrinking (not a crimp connector in sight). Also when I ran the loom through the pillar, I used a heavy duty solid loom protector, not the split crap you get from a FLAPS. I also made my own charging wire, but it doesn't go through the loom, but now it goes to the starter, and is supported by a clamping system that is attached to the firewall.

I have wired and rewired many different VWS, from rails to sedans. For me this was a HUGH pain in the neck, and I was very lucky that the car did not catch on fire. For the average VWer this would have been a total nightmare.

So please take it from me, it doesn't matter if you have a generator or alternator, but inspection of the charging wire should be on everyone's maintenance list. Especially where it runs behind the carburetor. At that area, you cant see if and where it has been rubbing for the last 40 years, and all it takes is on small nick in the insulation to have disastrous results.
My builds
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
So please take it from me, it doesn't matter if you have a generator or alternator, but inspection of the charging wire should be on everyone's maintenance list. Especially where it runs behind the carburetor. At that area, you cant see if and where it has been rubbing for the last 40 years, and all it takes is on small nick in the insulation to have disastrous results.

There are clips on the fan shroud to hold these wires in place.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

Similar happened to me when I (stupidly) jacked the car up by the engine once, it's an FI and the post on the alternator hit the underneath of the air flow meter and shorted, luckily I smelled the heat and unjacked the car pretty sharpish but some wres had melted a bit. The rubber boot on the little hood on the post had split. I should have disconnected the battery of course.

I cut down the alternator post and put on a new VW boot which fits better, plus a new wire.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

".....but inspection of the charging wire should be on everyone's maintenance list."

Sorry about your loss but thanks for the heads-up. I'll check over my cars today.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Important electrical issue for all VWs Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

There are clips on the fan shroud to hold these wires in place.

Funny that you mention that because that appears to be the point of failure (short). Wire insulation is not meant to rub up against metal for long periods of time (40 years). Because of this failure I no longer use the metal clips, instead I am using insulated wire clamps.

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/25128/1-3-4-Plated-Steel-Clamp/
My builds
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: