Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any upgrades I should/could do to my split case transmission?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Any upgrades I should/could do to my split case transmission? Reply with quote

Hi

I am planning to take my Ghias original 1957 transmission apart winter 17/18. It doesn't have any apparent defects/faults, but it does have some slight bearing wear/noice. So my plan is to take it apart, check things over, replace the worn out bearings, fulcrum plates, synchros and what else might need changing. "If it ainīt broken, donīt fix it" Wink

But then I thought... Are there any upgrades or mods I should carry out while I have it apart?
What are the biggest weakness on these transmissions, and can the strength be improved?
I have previously rebuilt the later style tunnel transmissions, but never opened up a split trans before.

I run a 60hp 356 engine, so the transmission has a bit more power put through the gears.

Thanks
Rasmus

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Any upgrades I should/could do to my split case transmission? Reply with quote

Engine looks awesome!
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Any upgrades I should/could do to my split case transmission? Reply with quote

guard transmission used to make a pre a 356? limited slip diff that would fit a splitcase, but I didn't see them in their products list now.
mind you, when you add "limited slip diff" to any shopping list you know it won't be cheap, then add the prefix "Porsche" and then add "Pre A"... Shocked

i'm sure there was a post a few years ago with a fair bit of information and ideas on splitcase modifications but I can't find it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Any upgrades I should/could do to my split case transmission? Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
guard transmission used to make a pre a 356? limited slip diff that would fit a splitcase, but I didn't see them in their products list now.
mind you, when you add "limited slip diff" to any shopping list you know it won't be cheap, then add the prefix "Porsche" and then add "Pre A"... Shocked

i'm sure there was a post a few years ago with a fair bit of information and ideas on splitcase modifications but I can't find it.

Please let me know if you find the thread. Searched with no results :-/.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Any upgrades I should/could do to my split case transmission? Reply with quote

Rasser wrote:
henry roberts wrote:

Just had a look myself Rasmus and there's not much that likely to be relevant... Confused
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498142
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Any upgrades I should/could do to my split case transmission? Reply with quote

Thanks John.

I will most likely just do a normal rebuild, if no other tips and tricks appear Smile.

John Moxon wrote:
Rasser wrote:
henry roberts wrote:

Just had a look myself Rasmus and there's not much that likely to be relevant... Confused
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498142

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Any upgrades I should/could do to my split case transmission? Reply with quote

These are still available:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: