Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Throw out (release) Bearing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Throw out (release) Bearing Reply with quote

Ok. A used transmission is on its way from Nashville today, with plans to install it over the weekend.
I'll be putting a new clutch kit and guide bearing sleeve thing. Is there any other parts/sealants/gaskets/O-Rings that I should be putting in there?

The only other possible thing I can thing of is this, "Always replace seal between flange shaft and drive shaft" but the book never clearly states what the flange shaft is. Can someone clear this up?

Does anyone have any tips or tricks that I know before just going with the instructions in the Bentley manual?

How necessary is the VW3250 tool? Can I get away without it?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

93 MV Weekender
cc-91tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Throw out (release) Bearing Reply with quote

Hallo Ben,
i think its to late form my answer but you need not the tool.
I hope it went well.
Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Throw out (release) Bearing Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.

I'm not starting until Saturday morning.

Any other tips I should now? or steps in the manual that I can skip?

Thanks!!

93 MV Weekender
cc-91tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Throw out (release) Bearing Reply with quote

Hello Ben,
Take the left drive shaft completely out, you have more space.
At the transmission wele copper paste, and also lubricate the release bearing.
The coupling you can center with a big thorn.
Installation and removal with lifting platform roundabout 4 hours.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us.
And sorry for my english I come from Germany.
And leave space to adjust the engine up and down.
Andy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Throw out (release) Bearing Reply with quote

Did you have to remove the right drive shaft as well? Or could you leave it connected on the wheel side?

93 MV Weekender
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Throw out (release) Bearing Reply with quote

I rebuilt my gearbox last summer, not too difficult but then I had an aircraft component overhaul shop at my disposal. Those rollers are most likely from the small bearing in the mainshaft which is the common failure item.

As for re & re of the gearbox I took off far more than the book states to make it easier to handle the gearbox but I was doing other maintenance such as PS rack rebuild coolant flush etc. You may want to do the flywheel while you are in there which requires a holding tool and new stretch bolts. I would set side a full two days if you are doing this on the ground.
Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Throw out (release) Bearing Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I've currently got it up on on my neighbors lift and the transmission is out. Found that the clutch release levers little spring clip was broken and the little nub it levers on had worn a hole all the way thru it. Got a new clutch kit and release bearing and release bearing guide installed last night

Today will be installing the replacement tranny, putting in some new linkage bushings and putting it all back together.

93 MV Weekender
cc-91tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Throw out (release) Bearing Reply with quote

Hello Ben,
good job.
Let me know when you're done.
If you sometime want to convert to syncro let me know.
Greetings Andy
Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Throw out (release) Bearing Reply with quote

Just finished the tranny install last night. So far the junkyard transmission is doing great. I was worried at first because of a ticking sound but turned out the 5th gear cover had a small dent in it that needed pushing back out. Sorry about a lack of pictures but my hands were too greasy.

On another note I changed the oil (first since I've owned it). Getting that oil filter off SUCKS!!!! Is there a special trick I don't know about? I couldn't fit any filter straps in there and ended up having to do a combination of channel locks and stabbing it with a screwdriver to turn the dang thing. It had a WIX filter on it so that's what I put on. But I did see online that there ones with that nut welded to the end so you can use a socket. Is that the kind I should be using?

Today I'll be driving the van to work, as a test drive. Fingers crossed nothing bad happens.

93 MV Weekender
Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Throw out (release) Bearing Reply with quote

Forgot I had this one:

93 MV Weekender

Last edited by Jooknon on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Throw out (release) Bearing Reply with quote

Nice work
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: