Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radiator leak - is this alternative a good idea?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdbs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Radiator leak - is this alternative a good idea? Reply with quote

1990 Vanagon GL - Only used from May to November; no plans to get rid of it.

Been loosing coolant fluid for the last few years. Typically, the expansion tank behind the license plate needs to be topped off about 2 - 3 times over the season, so losing ~16 - 24 oz. over 7 months.

Finally took it to my mechanic, an independent who once worked at a VW dealership. He found the leak where the aluminum core is epoxied to the plastic end cap. Since it is currently just seeping, he suggested I might want to try a “stop leak” like product. He cautioned against using Stop Leak, but suggested trying Subaru Cooling System Conditioner; he said it was not as aggressive as the Stop Leak, but seemed to work.

While I’ll be able to tell fairly soon whether it stops the seepage, my concern is 1) not wanting to use something that might cause other problems downstream, and 2) not wanting to rely on a product like this if planning to drive the van long distances (thousands of miles) on a long trip.

Yes, replacing the radiator is the correct long term fix, but any thoughts on using this Subaru product?

Thanks
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator leak - is this alternative a good idea? Reply with quote

You'll certainly wind up with varied opinions as others chime in, but on the advice
of a Samba guru or two, I now run the Suby sauce year-round. As long as the
long-term plan is to replace the bad rad, I see no harm in using the conditioner
temporarily OR longer. It's use has been long documented here & elsewhere.

IOW, one vote to go for it... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator leak - is this alternative a good idea? Reply with quote

The Subaru product has been used extensively by Vanagon owners for years.

Most install it as a hoped for solution to weeping head seals. Some install it as a preventative measure warding off leaks.

Many sing it praises, some cuss it out.

I've not read a single post about verifiable cooling system damage. 10cents did a long post on the product years ago.

I've never used it, but based upon my time spent here and what I've read, Of all the products designed for cooling system leaks on the market, this is the product that I would use.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator leak - is this alternative a good idea? Reply with quote

I've been using it in my '88 with no obvious ill effects.

this Subaru TSB is interesting and may shed light:

https://www.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/82708/42513

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jdbs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator leak - is this alternative a good idea? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback; I found tencentlife's post on the topic, and read the Subaru bulletin.

For those who use it, how do you recommend adding it to the system?

Oops - continued reading tencentlife's thread - "Of course, the expansion tank. Not the reserve tank behind the license plate."

Last edited by jdbs3 on Mon May 29, 2017 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator leak - is this alternative a good idea? Reply with quote

It needs to be added to the pressure (expansion) tank while the engine is running. Do this on a cool engine so you don't blow coolant everywhere and scald yourself. You may need to remove some coolant first if the tank is full to the brim. Hold the revs up on the engine while you have the cap off the tank just like you would do if you were bleeding the system, a matchbook or popsicle stick under the throttle stop will keep the revs up.

BTW, radiators do not cost much and aren't particularly hard to replace, though the process can be messy. There was a good discussion on the best brand of radiator to buy just a couple of weeks ago.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator leak - is this alternative a good idea? Reply with quote

With trepidation of verbal scalding, add me to the Just Do It camp.

<<< E1 runs and hides >>>

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jdbs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator leak - is this alternative a good idea? Reply with quote

Wildthings,

Quote:
There was a good discussion on the best brand of radiator to buy just a couple of weeks ago.

This might be the way to go. No luck finding the thread with a search or looking back over the last few weeks.

Do you have a pointer to the thread?

thanks
jdbs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator leak - is this alternative a good idea? Reply with quote

bump

Quote:
There was a good discussion on the best brand of radiator to buy just a couple of weeks ago.

No luck finding the thread your referenced; any help finding it appreciated.

thanks
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator leak - is this alternative a good idea? Reply with quote

jdbs3 wrote:
bump

Quote:

No luck finding the thread your referenced; any help finding it appreciated.

thanks

This one???

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678751&highlight=radiator

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
jdbs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator leak - is this alternative a good idea? Reply with quote

Thanks - that looks to be the one referenced by Wildthings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: