Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

The D.C. is back on its wheels and off the lift.
The basic swap is done, still have to fabricate the tandem master cylinder and clutch master mounting plate thingy in the cab.
It is very rough at this point, as I want to see if all the geometry is right before finishing the mounts, brackets, ect....
So far just pushing it off the lift and maneuvering it about the steering effort is much less than stock, like half. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

slowlearner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Hi there, I've just finished reading through this whole thread. WOW! Just WOW!

Huge props to you for all the great work. Sad you've got two junky motors, but you've made it work and raced it. More than most people ever get done on any project. Keep up the good work.

P.s. twistedminis is fantastic!
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Thanks slow learner for checking in.
Hopefully more track time in the future, the goal is to get it worthy of open track testing and D.E. events.

I re-located the oil cooler to the spot I was planning on after the A-arm suspension swap, with the beam gone it should get sufficient flow (still need to add ducts).

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

67dubcab wrote:
Thanks slow learner for checking in.
Hopefully more track time in the future, the goal is to get it worthy of open track testing and D.E. events.

I re-located the oil cooler to the spot I was planning on after the A-arm suspension swap, with the beam gone it should get sufficient flow (still need to add ducts).

Going to go back to the stock front bumper now?
slowlearner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

I like that much better than your front bumper. Smile
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

The bumper center vent is staying but will get further modified for the new layout. I am planning on closing in the air path for better flow with some abs sheeting.
The new spot will help take some weight off the nose and be less vulnerable so that is a win.
I know the bumper is a bit abrupt visually, but the final version will be a bit cleaner.
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Nice to see another mid engine VW on here! Will be following your build since our vehicles share a few similarities.

And did I read that you arent running sway bars? All I run is a front and it made a huge difference. Just had to mess with the rear spring rates after.
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Hey mid engine bug guy.
Yep, lots of solving of the same build details, to me the most interesting part.
I have seen your build on another forum, I appreciate both the concept and your solutions, nicely crafted sir!
There is another build like yours, by Volkdent on the german look forum, which you may have seen.
As to the sway bars, I did not put them on my earlier version as I new I was going to swap out the complete front end, I relied on high spring rates to keep roll in check, though if you check out my autocross video there was still plenty.
I am presently looking for a adjustable splined bar set up for the new front end, looks like you are using one on your rig.

Stephen
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Stephen - thanks for the good words on my Bug. I know you have put just as much sweat and tears in to your VW and the outcome shows. I am pretty sure I have seen the other build by Volkdent. Nice build as well.

I did see your video and the amount of body roll. Between your new front suspension and a sway bar, it should be taken care of. Yes I am using just a standard straight splined sway bar. I got it from Kartek offroad. They have a bunch of different sizes to use. They also have a couple different selections for the arms coming off it. I trimmed mine a few inches shorter but of course that will depends on the application and a million other things. If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Good luck with the rest of your awesome build!

Sean
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Thanks Sean for the kind words and the Kartek site tip.
I finally found a site that has the spring rates for the different splined bars and connecting arm lengths at HRPWORLD. Now I can guesstimate the bar rate to try and get it close the first time.
I will see if the #550 coil springs are about right then add in the sway bar rate to get in the total spring rate frequency ballpark (race truck/dump run truck)!

One of the last bits to do is the new braking system, mostly mounting the pedal assembly. Got the basic idea figured out, now working on fabrication.Lots left to do.

67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Finished plumbing the pedal/master cylinder thing.

Took it for a spin for the first time in seven months.
Initial impressions: much lighter steering effort, more steering angle lock to lock which should help during drift competitions Shocked
Improved steering feel, though not as much as expected from a manual rack and pinion as I think the bevel box blocks some feel.
Will know more after rough tuning suspension alignment and dialing in spring rate.
californiadrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Wow! I'm new to the forums and really enjoyed reading this whole thread. What a monumental accomplishment, just getting this on the road. Congrats!

Looking forward to seeing where you go from here.
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words californiadrifter.
I drove to the treffpunkt show in concord with a buddy, the front tires were rubbing on the inner arches on bumps so I swapped the rear coilers which have #650 springs with the fronts (#550) and felt like that should be the correct spring rate, still going to add front splined sway bar to help with roll.

found this photo in the d.c. gallery, Im the guy on the right with the hippie hair.
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

credit to DadaCheese for photo, Im sure there were other samba folk attending as there were plenty of lovely Volkswagens and Porsches scattered amongst the greens.
TommyTotembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

67dubcab wrote:
Finished plumbing the pedal/master cylinder thing.

Took it for a spin for the first time in seven months.
Initial impressions: much lighter steering effort, more steering angle lock to lock which should help during drift competitions Shocked
Improved steering feel, though not as much as expected from a manual rack and pinion as I think the bevel box blocks some feel.
Will know more after rough tuning suspension alignment and dialing in spring rate.

Brakes upon brakes! so next time that i ride with you me arse will pass by me face at the stoplight?!
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Hey Tommytotumbus, only if you choose not to fasten the four point safety harness, then yes-you could end up outside the bus,in front.
I needed all the brakes I had today as two dudes in a lowered Miata cut me off in a clown maneuver. All sixteen little Brembo pistons were in full effect.
As I told my wife, all the work is to make the bus safer, in this case it paid off.
Would have been a pretty hard hit with stock brakes, plus I needed to steer around them as I held the brakes at threshold, so win for suspension mods too.
Credit also for many years of sport bike riding as the only way to remain death-free on a motorcycle is to expect stupid at ANY time.
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

67dubcab wrote:
?.... the only way to remain death-free on a motorcycle is to expect stupid at ANY time.

Love it.
So true.

Great build thread. One of my favourites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Thanks SplitBusVanatic.

Took the D.C. off the road for a bit to finish up the front suspension install, made some small adjustments and did the final welding of the pick-up points.
prepping frame rails

finish welding parts and paint

bolting in arms

all back in

67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

D.C. back on the lift for some more mods/hacks.
Finally got the three piece wheels built with the widths/offsets that I needed.
Next up were anti-rub tubbs.

Wheels are front-17"8.5" rear-17"9.5"
Tires front 225/45/17 rear 255/40/17
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Missed this shot of the tubs roughed in, plenty left to do to call them done.
Suspension now has 3" off droop and 2.5" of compression before fouling and with #700 springs I should be able to jump railroad crossings at 110.
Will be a bit of time till I road test as I need to pull engine for a dramatic oil leak and likely have transaxle re-built with L.S.D. installed so I am no longer one wheel drive.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: