Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grounding Mallory distributor
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Grounding Mallory distributor Reply with quote

I'm installing a Mallory Unilite distributor, which has a ground wire.
Can anyone give me a good location for the ground wire in the engine compartment?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Grounding Mallory distributor Reply with quote

I used a Unilite distributor on my '71 Super Beetle for years when it was my daily driver from ~2008-2013. The brown ground wire was connected with a ring terminal to the M8 stud that secured the distributor clamp.

At that time, the Unilite modules had a bad reputation for self destruction, or at least over sensitivity to voltage spikes, etc.
I had chosen not to use the Mallory power filter because, if you read their literature carefully, Mallory made no guarantees of its efficacy.
Per the advice of Century Performance (a big Mallory advocate) I had installed an additional ground strap between the engine case and the chassis.

This setup worked reliably for me until I sold that car in 2013.
I should mention that, on the Super Beetle, I was using the Unilite module to trigger a Mallory Hyfire CDI. A CDI makes for a big reduction of the switching current across the Unilite module; possibly giving the module an "easy life".
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Grounding Mallory distributor Reply with quote

I've heard about the quality issues with the newer Unilite distributors.
Mine is an oldie. I had it installed on my Porsche 356 replica way back in 2004/5. It did go through an engine fire and was rebuilt in 2010. I'm not sure what new parts were used, so I could end up with the module going south.

I'll ground mine to the same place you did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Grounding Mallory distributor Reply with quote

Well here's another tidbit for your amazement:

I had a couple of 605 module failures when I was using the Mallory distributor in another car.
When I bought my Super Beetle, around 2008, after some trepidation; including considering having Prestolite (parent company of Mallory back then) convert the distributor to single points, I went with the 6100M, the so-called e-spark module which, according to Mallory, was engineered to lower the cost of manufacture to compete with Pertronix type triggers. It is machine assembled (as opposed to hand assembled like the original 605 module). I was amazed that in this century, Prestolite was hand assembling electronic components Shocked
Interestingly enough, the e-spark modules (6100M) were yellow, not red which tells me they were the same as the Accel 2005, also a Prestolite product, which is identical form and function to the (Unilite) e-spark... at 80% of the street price.
Anyway, now that Mallory is owned by MSD and not Prestolite...who knows?

Personally, I have been using cast iron Bosch distributors for a few years now, and I'm happy with them.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Grounding Mallory distributor Reply with quote

Mond, who would you recommend buying a cast iron Dist. from these days? Considering adding one to the spare box. Won't be able to see you guys this year, had a great time last year, though, and as retirement looms large before me, hope to see you all in the future. Cliff and Janet Waugaman
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Grounding Mallory distributor Reply with quote

If you want a cast iron distributor that is thoroughly checked out and ready to run, Glenn Ring is the man.
(Hope the administrator won't delete this shameless plug) Shocked
Good luck, Mondshine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: