Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AA big bore 36 kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

I understand that! My budget went to hell a long time ago. I could have built a monster late model stroker for how much I have put into my 36hp

Maybe something I'll look at in the future....I've already broken my budget a few times already![/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:

In the U.S.A., how many people are going to drive their 36er in knee deep snow or where the climate is so cold that they would
prefer driving their air cooled VW rather than more modern vehicle with better cabin heating? Besides, I have heard horror
stories where their thermostat failed and did not open, engine ran hot and fried itself to death!

well, I drive my all original 25hp when its well below freezing.. I install complete thermostat systems on all of my engines. Original thermostat bellows fail open, which prevents the engine ever cooking itself. They are not required where its warm all the time, but they do aid in getting the engine up to proper operating temps (lower mechanical wear) on short drives
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Mr. Okrasa wrote:

In the U.S.A., how many people are going to drive their 36er in knee deep snow or where the climate is so cold that they would
prefer driving their air cooled VW rather than more modern vehicle with better cabin heating? Besides, I have heard horror
stories where their thermostat failed and did not open, engine ran hot and fried itself to death!

well, I drive my all original 25hp when its well below freezing.. I install complete thermostat systems on all of my engines. Original thermostat bellows fail open, which prevents the engine ever cooking itself. They are not required where its warm all the time, but they do aid in getting the engine up to proper operating temps (lower mechanical wear) on short drives

Here in So. Califas, its considered "cold" when the temps drop to 50* or below. Customers aren't too concerned with installing thermostats
because I don't know too many people my age that would drive the air cooled beetles when its this cold.

On the 36hp engines I do, when the engine is cold, the air control ring that is operated by the thermostat is in the closed position for faster
engine warm-up. If for some reason the thermostat fails to expand and lift the rod in the upward position to move the air control ring out
(forward) to allow air in once the engine heats up, the engine would run very hot since its already warmed up but the control ring is
still "in" and not letting cool air in. You are asking to trouble.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

Beware of crazy cheeseheads. A 56 beetle is actually a very good car on ice. The engine is not peaky, and it is hard to spin the tires. Besides, with black paint and a wool interior, it is really not a summer car,

All thermostat failures I have seen have failed open. If the linkage rusts, then it could fail shut, but that is operator error.

Crazy Roland
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: