Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full face or half face respirator
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Full face or half face respirator Reply with quote

I need to replace my half face respirator and I'm considering a full face, specifically a 3M 6800.

I was told most don't like the full face because they are a little hard to see blend lines, etc. But, that was from a dealer who doesn't stock a full face.

What do you fellow painters use? Full or half? I do think it would be easier to see in a half face, but the full face would be better, health wise. I've only used the half face before.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Full face or half face respirator Reply with quote

I only use a half mask. I would imagine a full face would get covered In over spray unless you have an awesome down draft booth.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Full face or half face respirator Reply with quote

Danpa wrote:
....Full or half?
Dan

From many years of experience wearing respirators for my job, I can say you probably aren't going to like a full face respirator, especially if you don't have a forced air breathing system.. they get hot and fog up like crazy no matter what you do to them.

Do they keep chemicals out of your eyeballs, yes absolutely.. When I would tank dive on really hot summer days with a half face organic vapor respirator, I could always tell when the fumes started getting to me - I would feel it in my eyes, and start getting dizzy and sleepy.
The only time I "NEEDED" a full face was when I occasionally worked with an organic acid to etch some metal. We had supplied air from a multi-stage breather box.. the forced air and eye protection was a requirement.

Hobby painting... just get a half face 3M with organic vapor cartridges, and make sure you have a few spare packs; the time limit on those filters varies with what chemical you're guarding against but the clock starts the second you open the package.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Full face or half face respirator Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I didn't consider the fogging issue. Sounds like, for what I'm going to do, a half face would be fine.
And I have heard about the "lifespan" of the cartridges lately and when I think about how old the mask that I have is, it's just about useless.

Thanks Again!

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: