Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Very slow cranking when engine is hot
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewCologne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Very slow cranking when engine is hot Reply with quote

Hi,

it seems my starter got a problem. First I thought it could be the battery and I bought a new 77ah one. But problem still occurs.

If the engine is cold and I hit the starter button the starter in my 1950 split bug does its job/cranking normal, not as fast as in case of my 1955 oval bug, but fast enough for firing up the engine.

Now after driving the car 30 about mins and when the engine now is warm and switching off the engine and then trying to restart, the starter now cranks terribly slowly, almost not being able to turn the engine over.

All wiring harness of the car is new and voltgage is ok: about 6.35 Volts at battery with no engine running, if engine is running then the battery gets charged with about 6.8 to 7.2 volt when all lights are off.

My assumption is a weak starter and when its hot, cause of maybe worn out starter coals, it won't have enough power to crank the engine fast enough.
Or could it really be the starters bushing making the cranking that slow when engine is hot? If yes, why?

I thought asking here first before simply buing a new starter.

Thanks a lot for your assistance in advance.
Andrew
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Very slow cranking when engine is hot Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem on my 56 and a new starter bush in the gearbox coupled with a rebuilt starter motor cured it. I run a yellow top optima 6v too.
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Very slow cranking when engine is hot Reply with quote

Too much advance timing can also do that...
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Very slow cranking when engine is hot Reply with quote

timing or starter bushing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndrewCologne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Very slow cranking when engine is hot Reply with quote

vwhelmot wrote:
I had exactly the same problem on my 56 and a new starter bush in the gearbox coupled with a rebuilt starter motor cured it. I run a yellow top optima 6v too.

A new starter bushing and a rebuilt starter motor helped here as well.
I now enjoy a fast cranking and a very fast firing up of the engine.
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Very slow cranking when engine is hot Reply with quote

Excellent news :D
blood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Very slow cranking when engine is hot Reply with quote

Concerning the hot slow cranking speed, if you unplug the distributer and the cranking speeds up, closer inspection of the ingnition is needed. If no change then measuring the voltage drop on the positive starter cable and also the ground path. Anything greater than 0.2 volts DC under cranking load means excessive resistance in the cable. Next test should be Amp draw which may peak at close to 200 amps on initial start command and very quickly lower to something in the 100 amp area. Testing is preferable to parts swapping. That being said a worn bell housing starter bushing is very common problem. David
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Very slow cranking when engine is hot Reply with quote

New wire harness often means wrong starter cable. Make sure you have a 6 volt starter cable and not a 12 volt starter cable. 6 volt cables are thicker.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: