Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

coolerthanelvis wrote:
ThatVWGuy wrote:
I'm installing a Dorm top on my '65. Did you put anything between the metal frame of the top and the roof sheetmetal? I know it is enclosed within the top so leaking won't be an issue but it seems like the should be some caulking, thin rubber, or something in between the two metal surfaces. It's bee too long since I removed the frame from the donor bus (and I'm not even positive it was original to that bus) for me to remember if there was anything between the two.

Is the frame steel or aluminum? When I was installing equipment onboard ships for the Navy, we would use 20 mil rubber tape when mounting aluminum equipment to steel foundations to prevent corrosion due to dissimilar metals.
https://www.platt.com/Compare.aspx?cmpitems=99932,64065

That looks like the perfect product for the application. Thanks! I wonder if there would be anything similar at the local hardware store?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

Put some new shoes on.
I went with the 215/75 BFG All Terrain KO2.
Couple hundred miles so far, with no rubbing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

Got a new Wiring Harness from Wiring Works.
My old harness had been cut and spliced, burned wires and a slow drain I tried to fix but could not find.
Old Birds Nest

All cleaned out

New wires in

Old wires out, stripped old harness and saved all clean and soft wires.

Took the time to solder up the fuse box and headlight switch, but didn't take time to take pics of the finished product.

Printed off and laminated a large colour diagram and had it laminated.
A little tight and you need to be able to bend.
I had no issues with mine, a couple wires didn't match up to the diagram similar to other people that have used the wiring works, but with a little wiring knowledge and some process of elimination all worked out well.
All in all a very nice kit and Ibwould recommend it.
Cleaned up all the grounds and connections, and used dielectric grease everywhere.
My lights are significantly brighter all around.
Switches are cooler.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

Love the van.. sharp.. love the top conversion.. hate that fuse box....:}
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

Killer camper, love what you did with it. The color looks great. I think I have dormy top envy now!!
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

5 years since I last posted!
I guess I have been too busy enjoying the bus to post here.
I guess it is time for an update, for the most art I try to compete a new project every spring, I will update them now, so purist beware, may contain some hacks.

I always take a spare tire on road trips, and with the 215/75 I had to come up with a solution with not much roof space due to the Dormobile top.
I purchases a Single Cab HWE style roof rack kit, shortened it and had two pieces bent to accomadate the spare tire, had a friend that is a welder by trade weld it up for me.
The lights and antenna are routed through under the top and through a corner of the tent.

Last edited by Birdmanhere on Thu May 12, 2022 3:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

Looking to install a 12v auxiliary system to power some future accessories, I took a trip over to the Vanagon forums, those guys have figured out the auxiliary systems well and lots on info there if you can stomach Vanagons and their Drivers.

Decided on a BlueSea battery isolator, and a 35 amp shore power plug in charger/converter. the BlueSea isolator allows charging of the AUX battery while driving, and also charging of the starting battery while plugged in.
Paired with a 110ah deep cycle (for now), and a solar system in the future.
All tucked under the rear bench with the tools and spares.

Last edited by Birdmanhere on Thu May 12, 2022 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

Being in Canada the camping season can be short, I was looking for some heat for the spring and fall to get a few more months of camping in.
Installed a Chinese Diesel Heater, they are an Ebercpacher clone.
I put it in the westy cabinet, I created a false floor in the cabinet so I didn't loose any storage. and it is quiet and out of the way.

it is right above my batter so it is ducted through the engine compartment and out the back.

small exhaust for furnace

I run it off Kerosene kept in a small tank in the driver side "battery tray"

It is the 5kw model.
It cranks out so much heat it will sweat you out on the coldest nights on low when the windows are closed.
The 2kw model would have been enough for the bus.

Last edited by Birdmanhere on Thu May 12, 2022 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

Looking for a 12v fridge, I once again found myself browsing the Vanagon forums.
Picked out the Truckfridge T65 for use in my bus.
designed a cabinet that would incorporate the westy sink and water tank I already had, and made the cabinet in the same style as the original cabinets with the T mould edges, westy cabinet handles, stained close to match.
The back of the fridge is well vented and some sound deadening in there, I do not hear it cycle on and off. There is also a 12v water pump.
Not a square inch of space wasted, tons of storage.

Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

Every year I take a trip with each one of my Kids separately , they are big enough to ride in the front now.
To make it a little safer I installed 3 point seat belts, and had my late bay seats recovered and the headrests installed. The upholstery guy installed heated seat kit at this time.
The fabric is a commercial grade thick synthetic canvas. Super durable.
And the pattern resembles the original seats.
3 point upper mount welded in

Helper!

seat fabric close up

Last edited by Birdmanhere on Thu May 12, 2022 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

Type-E front disc brake installed.
This kit is fantastic. well made, simple and effective.
still no rubbing with the larger tires and slight increase in offset from the kit.

Love the braking power and the wear parts are all inexpensive, and easy to find local.
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

A few more things over the years, first was sound deadening.
Used dynamat type sparingly throughout the bus, and on the back off all the wood panels I used a closed cell foam with a few pieces of the dynamat style on the back side of the wood.
This is what helped the most with the sound deadening and also temp control while camping and driving.
It made a huge difference while on long trips.

My old 1600 was tired, I rebuilt the top end on an old motor with a w100 cam, and paired with a old set of Kadrons cleaned up and tapped for SVDA, and a vintage speed bus exhaust.

for the Dormobile guys, I came up with a solution for the roof vents and their lack of screens.
Take off the skylight vent, and the surrounding seal. place fine mosquito netting over the hole and install seal, leaving the screen baggy,

install vent cover over screen, with mechanism front bottom.
trim the screen to fit

keeps the bugs out all summer and allows them to stay open all night with the kids up top.

Last edited by Birdmanhere on Thu May 12, 2022 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

Amazing upgrades Jon! Bus is super functional now!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My Ultimate Camper Build, Dormobile Top Conversion Reply with quote

Birdmanhere wrote:
Being in Canada the camping season can be short, I was looking for some heat for the spring and fall to get a few more months of camping in.
Installed a Chinese Diesel Heater, they are an Ebercpacher clone.
I put it in the westy cabinet, I created a false floor in the cabinet so I didn't loose any storage. and it is quiet and out of the way.

The 2kw model would have been enough for the bus.

in my dormy i installed my Truma heater on the driver side right before the rear wheel.
That way the exhaust is naturally outside.... i drilled the duct through the floor into the small seat of my SO44. All that was inside was the air in and out of the heater. super quiet, too since the heater was outside.
For camping in the german winters i carried a tent so opening the cargo doors wouldn't loose all the heat.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: