Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs? Reply with quote

I've never met Ocean and don't know him at all, but I think I can help interpret his question about the tire wear reply.

By the time you notice enough rubber worn off a pair of tires to the point you can see a wear pattern, you have damaged the tires. So, I think Ocean is probably thinking "He can't be serious - run my misaligned front tires until I see which way to adjust the alignment? Really?"

So he asked for clarification because it doesn't seem like a logical reply. Fair enough?

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs? Reply with quote

Perhaps relying on front tire wear as a diagnostic for suspension issues is similar relying on a spun rod bearing as a diagnostic for oil pressure issues: too little, too late.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs? Reply with quote

Tire wear well tell you everything that you need to know.

A perfect example...........

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1919226

200 miles after assembly.....looks good now....and for sale.
What do you think the tires will show in lets say 1500 miles?

Look at the head on picture Rolling Eyes

FYI 1.5" springs and ball joint spacers is the setup.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs? Reply with quote

Closing the loop...

I've had zero-lift Syncro.org/Schwenk 2WD springs installed along with Rancho shocks and new front end bushings, including steering rack, for about 6 months and nearly 10k miles and I really like the results.

Initial lean when cornering or dive when braking is noticeably reduced. Highway cruising at 70-75 mph is stable and comfortable (the van has been driven in 16 western and mid-west states in good winds from all directions).

I'm not sure if the 1 1/2" lift springs would be notably worse but I prefer the great ride I have right now compared to a minor increase in clearance at the cost of reduced on-road handling characteristics.

Edit: Adding that the van is shoed with Nokian WRG3 215/60 R16 tires. I also like these tires a lot for their quiet, smooth ride.

That's all. FWIW, YMMV.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs? Reply with quote

Jim,

That you are happy with this setup onroad speaks volumes. I think you dodged a bullet by not putting a lift on. You were questioning it, so you are the type of driver who would have noticed that with a lift your vehicle exhibited odd figure 8 movements on curvy country roads, and see-saw motions it previously did not have, or sideways heaves called 'head toss' in the industry. So bravo on a good call.

People routinely under appreciate the challenges in vehicle dynamics that a lift brings. Often they replace worn out springs and shocks with new versions that provide a lift and things feel "better". Without knowing what new stock-height springs and shocks would have felt like (perhaps better yet), they conclude they have lost nothing. It is a significant challenge to lift a vehicle's center of gravity only 1.5 inches and maintain vehicle manners. So much of a challenge that it costs a factory development team enormous sums in time, energy, equipment use and data analysis to return the vehicle to as close to original handling as possible.

So I wish you many more happy and safe motoring miles in your beast!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Closing the loop...

I've had zero-lift Syncro.org/Schwenk 2WD springs installed along with Rancho shocks and new front end bushings, including steering rack, for about 6 months and nearly 10k miles and I really like the results.

Initial lean when cornering or dive when braking is noticeably reduced. Highway cruising at 70-75 mph is stable and comfortable (the van has been driven in 16 western and mid-west states in good winds from all directions).

I'm not sure if the 1 1/2" lift springs would be notably worse but I prefer the great ride I have right now compared to a minor increase in clearance at the cost of reduced on-road handling characteristics.

That's all. FWIW, YMMV.

We've got the van cafe schwenks too, with CLK wheels and Nokia rotiiva tires (previously wrg2), and also love the setup. I've got about 100kms on the springs and shocks (biltsteins), with all urethane suspension/steering bushings, and the handling and feel is superb.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Jim,

That you are happy with this setup onroad speaks volumes. I think you dodged a bullet by not putting a lift on. You were questioning it, so you are the type of driver who would have noticed that with a lift your vehicle exhibited odd figure 8 movements on curvy country roads, and see-saw motions it previously did not have, or sideways heaves called 'head toss' in the industry. So bravo on a good call.

So I wish you many more happy and safe motoring miles in your beast!

Thanks, Doug. See-saw motions, head toss and odd movements on country roads is exactly what I was hoping to avoid because curvy, hilly secondary roads are my favorite kind of road.

Your voice of reason has often helped me (although I did choose to add big brakes Very Happy ).

Abscate wrote:

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs? Reply with quote

Glad that you found a combination that you like.

Any idea of your typical running weight ?

For the record, since the 1-1/2" lift springs were mentioned earlier in this thread, I had 3 sets of them, all sagged, and the last set were at 16-3/8" when I pulled them, for a sag of nearly 2" from install height.

My van is always at least 4500# and sometimes hits 4900-5000 lbs.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs? Reply with quote

I haven't weighed the van since I got the high-top but it was about 4,700# with the pop-top, racks (4 bars which was overkill), basket and box, i.e. I don't believe the high-top added much weight. I'm hoping to weigh it soon fully loaded for a trip.

Abscate wrote:

MFerioli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs? Reply with quote

Timichango, I'm currently gathering parts to rebuild my suspension with those same components right down to the wheels and tires. I've had the tires from the get go and agree that they are super quiet for a more agreessive looking tread than a normal street tire. I put the rear schwenk springs in the other day just as an early test to see the difference in rear height and performance. They brought my saggy bottom up to 17 1/8 both sides and greatly reduced body sway from highway winds. This is compared to original 28 year old springs of course.

The only thing I haven't decided on is a shock, its got KYBs of unknown age on it right now. Are you running the standard bilstein or a modified version like XHD that gowesty advertises?

Glad to hear your positive review of your setup, thanks for posting.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs? Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Glad that you found a combination that you like.

Any idea of your typical running weight ?

For the record, since the 1-1/2" lift springs were mentioned earlier in this thread, I had 3 sets of them, all sagged, and the last set were at 16-3/8" when I pulled them, for a sag of nearly 2" from install height.

My van is always at least 4500# and sometimes hits 4900-5000 lbs.

levi,

5,080 pounds, including: driver, 3/4 of a tank of gas, a nearly full water tank, two bikes, full assortment of camping gear and other assorted stuff needed to be on the road for three months; not including a 130 lb passenger.

Basically just at max GVWR of 5,180 lbs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What's the real world handling loss going to 11/2" lift springs? Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, I appreciate that.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: