Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Iota 30 amp converter question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

Super quIck question
Considering installing one of these converters with a smart charger. I have a deep cycle battery using stock relay to isolate it from starting battery. On second battery i run propex, truck fridge and misc usb outlets and 100wt solar panel. All components run through a blueseas fuse box and have a circuit breaker between fuse box and second battery. I want to use the converter in order to use shore power to run fridgeand components when shore power is available and top off and charge second battery after a trip or while sitting dormant. My question is, When installing the converter, is it just a matter of wiring it directly to the second battery? Should it be fused bewteen battery etc? What is the safe way to do this?

Thanks
Jason
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

Are your batteries the same type? If not, I suggest separating them for charging. I've mentioned this before but I used a simple cheap relay to sense incoming a/c current and then trigger the "force separate" feature on the ACR

Works great. And it makes sure the expensive house battery gets exactly the right charge profile (which is why I bought the Iota)
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

I have my 30amp Iota wired directly to my house batteries (2 deep cycle batteries). I want the Iota to be able to charge them directly without any losses of going thru any separator system.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I have my 30amp Iota wired directly to my house batteries (2 deep cycle batteries). I want the Iota to be able to charge them directly without any losses of going thru any separator system.

Exactly what I want. I have a separator so no chrge to starting battery. Did you fuse the iota going to the battery or add breaker, or just wired directly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

Check to see if the Iota output is fused. If so then you don't need anything else. I believe they have fuses right on them already.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Check to see if the Iota output is fused. If so then you don't need anything else. I believe they have fuses right on them already.

I believe you are right, thanks!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

I wired it direct with no fuse or breaker.

The Western Syncro build
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I wired it direct with no fuse or breaker.

Dave I don't like that....

Note that current can be supplied from either end on this wire, so it needs to be fused (or breaker'd) on each end.

Iota output already has a 30A fuse. If the Iota's plugged in to 120v, and your wire insulation wears thru (to ground)..... the Iota's gonna put out all the power it can, and pop its own 30A fuse. So you're safe from the Iota's 30A output. Note that you have to loosen "clamp screws" to remove the 30A fuse.

But you're not really "done" simply because the Iota fuse popped. So the wire between the Iota and the breach is cold. But the battery has the capability to pump out hundreds of amps, turning that wire (between battery & breach) into a white-hot filament, burning everything it touches. Note that you're kinda "screwing the pooch at both ends" here.

I'd CERTAINLY fuse (or breaker) this wire directly at the battery. As near to the battery as possible. The dangerous wire is between the battery and the first fuse, so either keep that wire short, or route it very carefully so it's protected.

Candyman I'm doing (almost) the same as you. My van's currently all temporary-test-wired, a rats nest. Planning to clean it up but it's not pretty at the moment. I have a (temporary) 30A fuse 2 inches from the battery post.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

Sodo, I appreciate the concern but the Iota is less than 18 inches from the battery bank and there is very no metal in the area of the wiring route. I am comfortable with what is there. YMMV. Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

Gotcha. Protected or non-vulnerable wire is the next best way. Sometimes adding all that protection, terminals, connections increases the chance of failure, especially in a confined space.

I put my Iota in a hole near the Westy Water tank, I hope it gets enough air circulation there. I'm thinking the battery won't actually accept a full 30A, therefore the Iota won't ever work at its limit. Does anyone have info on this?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

I disagree that the wire is unprotected if the Iota is off. I believe there is still a path to ground through the Iota fuse that current can run through to protect the wire. I don't believe the circuit needs to be active.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Exactly what I want. I have a separator so no chrge to starting battery. Did you fuse the iota going to the battery or add breaker, or just wired directly?

Be careful doing it this way. Some ACRs combine with any voltage over ~13v. So if you are charging the house battery with 14.5 the ACR will still connect and everything will be energized.
If you have 2 lead acid batteries of the same size and type, this shouldnt be much of an issue but some batteries are picky. When you look at the manufacturer recommended charging and float voltages for the expensive batteries its worth spending $20 to make your $300 battery last as long as possible.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Iota 30 amp converter question Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
candyman wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Be careful doing it this way. Some ACRs combine with any voltage over ~13v. So if you are charging the house battery with 14.5 the ACR will still connect and everything will be energized.
If you have 2 lead acid batteries of the same size and type, this shouldnt be much of an issue but some batteries are picky. When you look at the manufacturer recommended charging and float voltages for the expensive batteries its worth spending $20 to make your $300 battery last as long as possible.

Hmm food for thought. Im using the stock relay under the drivers seat. I know its not the best but so far ive had no problems. Does this relay open when it sees over 13v?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: