Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Where did you get the bushings for it. The thick ones that go around the sway bar and then clamp to the lower torsion arm. The bushings that came with my sway bar are way too small to work with the stock clamps, but I can't find anyplace that will sell the bushing or the clamp kit for a 7/8" sway bar... Help?
beep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, Try http://www.addco.net/
Addco Mfg. Linville, NC lists a 7/8 front sway bar... I would assume that they also have the mounting hardware.
I wouldn't be beyond trying to drill out the stock rubber bushings to accept the larger bar...
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to jump in, but i was wondering if anyone knows if a swaybar from a 66 will bolt right up to a 65 front end with no mods. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

I've used the front addco in the past and was very happy with it. I ordered both from autoanything and installed the front right away quick and easy. I even left the stock one figured it couldnt hurt and this thing needs all the helpit can get in the wind. I finally got around to installing the rear, not as easy as front but well worth it. I am happy I did it, with the stiffer tires and front and rear sway bars I am not getting blown around on the higway, the bus finally feels planted on the road.
Front hard to see.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rear.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Everywhere is out of the rears...
I contacted Addco... the 952 rear (for 55-67) was discontinued last year.
They said they'd make a run of them... but it had to be an order of more than ten.
I'm making an order.
Send me a PM if interested (future planning... if you're reading this in 2018, don't PM me)

Is that stock + Addco swaybars on the front?

imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Yes, on front stock + addco. I figured the stock one is helping reinforce front end. I'll try and take a better pic.

Did you check with autoanything? Scott is the conatct, I talked too.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

imtb wrote:
Did you check with autoanything?
Yes, I called & talked to a human.
They looked up "Addco" for sway bar for split VW bus... no sway bar.
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

I would love to have a rear on my 1966 bus.
Maybe after I've done everything else though.
Not in a super big hurry.

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

I would be interested in a rear sway bar.
I'm still trying to figure out which front one to get! Empi one comes with crappy bushings, but no clamps. I can't seem to find another manufacture.
And now I'm reading up on camber compensators for the rear. None listed specifically for a bus, but everybody says they work.

Did they say how long it would take to bring to market once they had 10 orders?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

On my '61 15 window on the front I have a front 66/67 VW bus sway bar.
On the rear I have a vintage EMPI camber compensator.
Driving yesterday I noticed on a particular curve it handled better than the '66 Cragar Kombi with stock front sway bar.
I was driving about 10mph faster. Very Happy 50mph instead of 40mph

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

dlicious wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out which front one to get! Empi one comes with crappy bushings, but no clamps. I can't seem to find another manufacture.

Interested... OK, will put you down as a potential.

Front one: Addco makes a front. Their 723.
Catalog page: http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/catalog/volkswagen/
Summit Racing carries it (free shipping): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aco-723

But, I think the Summit page uses a generic pic.
Looks like the one's installed in this thread have more attaching hardware.
The installation page shows more hardware too: http://addco.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/723.pdf

I'll ask for more details tomorrow...
dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

I got the front ordered through Summit.
Let me know when the rear is available for purchase.
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

FWIW-Here is what I did with my '65 sundial. Swaybars (7/8") and camber compensator are empi products I believe. Welded 2 mounting tabs for rear sway bar near the transmission cradle (see pics). Bus handles like a dream at 75-80mph on the interstate (2007cc with VERY tall gearing), semi's don't push the bus around or make it "rock", takes curvy roads awesome too. Been offroading on rock trails a lot with only 3 wheels making contact to ground and never had any issues. Figured this may give you ideas. Good luck!

imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

I thought about mounting my rear like in the above pics, welding to the tranny craddle, but followed the instructions.

Question would the camber compensator keep my wheels from tucking in. I am trying to lift with coil overs, excpet when I raise them it just pushes down on the wheels and jacks them in. Or do I have week torsion bars and need to readjust?

I am up to almost 65 pretty stable but still feels a little squirly.

Here is the front sway bar and mounting detail Maybe if I used longer bolts on the end link I could rotate level, I may try that. I probably should take off stock one but dont really casuing any issue.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

The camber compensator and rear sway bar do the same thing... apply a restorative force on the axles.

The bigger your coil overs... the more restorative force you'll need = a dead end for raising (unless you want real stiff suspension).

To keep same ride quality as stock... you'll need to change the geometry but not applied forces... kinda the opposite of how a dropped spindle would be.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

imtb wrote:

Question would the camber compensator keep my wheels from tucking in. I am trying to lift with coil overs, excpet when I raise them it just pushes down on the wheels and jacks them in. Or do I have week torsion bars and need to readjust?]

It is normal for the rear wheels to tuck when you lift them off the ground.
A camber compensator does not change this. Don't worry about it.

The only split bus I had that did not do wheel tuck this was the baja BD. It has suspension mods. It was class 7 off-road raced in 1976. I think the thing on the RGBs is a Johnson anti-hop kit. You might look in the off road forums for anti-tuck info. If you feel you really need it.
Evidently if you catch air it can be a good thing.
Lack of tuck when airborne:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/248482.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/173452.jpg
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

dlicious wrote:
And now I'm reading up on camber compensators for the rear. None listed specifically for a bus, but everybody says they work.

In theory, a rear anti-sway bar (AKA anti-roll bar) on a swing axle bus should not work. Or at least should not lead to better handling.
Here's the history:
The first application I know of a leaf spring camber compensator was a Porsche with Super 90 engine. 1960? They were installed together with about 2 clicks less torsion bar preload. IOW the camber compensator was carrying some of the vehicle weight.
Why it worked was: Decouple the rear suspension from the chassis. This lets the body roll MORE. as the body rolls more, it puts more load on the outside FRONT wheel. This also keeps the rear from jacking up so much and tucking in. Since the tires are more vertical, they develop more lateral force.
I believe all Porsche 356C's used these, but perhaps only the SC, which was the S90 successor.
Corvair went to these on their last year with the swing axle, 1964.
VW went to something like this in 66,67 and 68 4 speed cars. But wait- they were anti sway bars? No, they are Z-BARS, a anti roll bar with levers going opposite directions. So it does JUST THE OPPOSITE OF A conventional anti roll bar.
But to work, you need to reduce the load of the torsion bars on the spring plates. That the only thing that decreases the roll couple.
Oh, Daimler Benz used about the same thing on all their 1950s cars that had the LOW-PIVOT swing axles. There was a compression spring between the two axle housings.

So, maybe your bus is better with a rear conventional anti roll bar, but I cannot understand why, because it flies in the face of everything I know.
And Mercedes and Porsche and VW: with swing axle rear, you push the roll couple to the front. Tires don't bite when tucked in.
A 1963 Porsche tested higher on a skid pad than any other car since till 1984 Chevy Corvette went 1.0 G. 21 years the champ.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

I got the front mounted. Addco 723
Super easy install and I am very happy with the product.
I can't believe how much better the bus tracks on the road! We had 30 MPH winds today and i was suprised at how stable it was. Before I would have ended up in a ditch!
I'm going to buy the rear as soon as they are available.

SCZ9-1-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Anyone know the status on the rear kits from Addco?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keo808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

FWIW...I ordered the Addco 723 (front) and 952 (rear) through Summit Racing today. I purchased through the website which indicated "out of stock", but the parts are a special order item and they will be ordering them from the supplier with an expected delivery date of 9/12/2017 and free shipping. My thought is if anyone wanted to order, now may be a good time, in hopes that it may increase the chances that the order will be filled and delivered in the time expected. As many bus owners before me can relate...order the part and hope for the best. Surprised
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: