Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's Wrong With This Picture?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

Wow. Looks to be 1/2 original length. Did the flame even stay lit?

The thermocouple on one of my 182's was pretty worn and likely the main reason why the fridge flame blew out while driving in hard winds.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

When I think of how people maintain stuff on average, these things terrify me.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Wow. Looks to be 1/2 original length. Did the flame even stay lit?

The thermocouple on one of my 182's was pretty worn and likely the main reason why the fridge flame blew out while driving in hard winds.

Neil.

I have never been able to get it lit at all.

I did not know about the length - if 2x as long where would the tip end up?

And... Where can I buy a new Dometic thermocouple (in the US)?

I see them at Adventure RVs etc. but I can't figure out which is right for a Vanagon Dometic...

VC doesn't seem to have a listing; nor does GW

I found this:
http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Dometic-293205201...oC5XTw_wcB

can't tell if it is the right part and can't really see a difference in length...
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

If I recall, the Dometic service manual shows an image(s) of sparker and thermo position relative to the burner. Yes. Link below to one of my pics. I was partly wrong. It seems the part you show is not much shorter, if at all, than OEM. Still, it looks pretty fried. Even so, your fridge should light when holding down the yellow button. Staying lit, well that's another story. Wink The thermocouple may or may not be at fault.

https://goo.gl/photos/JwT46iaTR4Ba86767

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
When I think of how people maintain stuff on average, these things terrify me.

Not that you're suggesting this, and I ain't no expert (see my last post) but if in fact that thermocouple has failed or is failing, but other associated parts are ok, that's just fine; though the fridge may light, it likely wouldn't stay lit. That in itself is not a safety issue. Once voltage from that thermocouple drops, the valve at safety "switch" closes.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Merian wrote:

If I recall, the Dometic service manual shows an image(s) of sparker and thermo position relative to the burner. Yes. Link below to one of my pics. I was partly wrong. It seems the part you show is not much shorter, if at all, than OEM. Still, it looks pretty fried. Even so, your fridge should light when holding down the yellow button. Staying lit, well that's another story. Wink The thermocouple may or may not be at fault.

The diagram from the DOmetic manual shows the tip ending between the 2nd & 3rd slit. Mine is just a touch shorter, and ends about at the 2nd slit.

No way can I get it to light. I've tried every "trick" posted here many times over the last several years.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

Vanagon Nut wrote:
....I was partly wrong. It seems the part you show is not much shorter, if at all, than OEM. ....

The diagram from the DOmetic manual shows the tip ending between the 2nd & 3rd slit. Mine is just a touch shorter, and ends about at the 2nd slit.

No way can I get it to light. I've tried every "trick" posted here many times over the last several years.

Well, I'd suggest the thermocouple is not what's keeping the fridge from lighting; even when new that part does nothing to help the fridge light. And since it appears you have the fridge out and burner box apart.....

Edited. This is a distant memory, but I swear that on my first Dometic, the connector on the ignitor wire, the end that connects to the push switch, wasn't properly crimped on to the wire; there was no spark or a very weak intermittent at burner. Also, it's remotely possible that the wire can have a break at end where it joins the sparker bit (porcelain) End edit.

It can't hurt to clean the sparker tip and burner to help ensure a spark happens.

Another odd ball thing I ran into was re assembling the burner box parts. The burner itself would end up being cockeyed. Again, a distant memory but when re assembling those parts, the end of the burner with slits might end up sitting too far from the sparker.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

Merian,
I have a less crusty t-couple you can have and any other fridge parts you may need. It was working before I yanked the fridge for a more modern option. PM me if interested. I agree with Neil, you need a good ground path for a strong spark.
Mike

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

It is a trick question everyone. That all looks FINE. You know how little voltage the thermocouple has to put out to work and how little heat it takes. The little end wear won't make a difference. Now you just need to figure out why it won't like. It is almost always just knowing the peculiarities of your fridge and doing that consistently each time you light it.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

maybe the gap is too far above the vents??
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
It is a trick question everyone. That all looks FINE. You know how little voltage the thermocouple has to put out to work and how little heat it takes. The little end wear won't make a difference. Now you just need to figure out why it won't like. It is almost always just knowing the peculiarities of your fridge and doing that consistently each time you light it.
''

agree.

fwiw, until i learned you need to heat the pipe before you light, it was a lot of click click click. but after running 12v cooling on the way to the campground, and then gas, it was, click and chill for 2+ weeks.
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

Thermocouple looks OK. Not why it wont light. Constant flame makes them all look like that after a few years. Easy to replace, check samba members for parts.
while apart, check for spark at the electrode.
I would suggest that you insulate power wire that goes from piezo plunger to electrode. They seem to leak after many years of use.
While apart, clean out intake and exhaust tubes.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
maybe the gap is too far above the vents??

to my eye, the angle [edit: and gap] looks ok; that part only mounts one way and tip doesn't look bent.

I'd suggest that the thermocouple pic isn't a "trick question" per se. True, as I and others have mentioned, it has nothing to do with lighting the fridge but a failing or marginal thermocouple can most certainly figure into the fridge staying lit.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

I cleaned out intake and exhaust tubes and they are spotless.

Not sure re grounding or insulation on the wire.

I've said before it won't light BUT to be honest it is possible it lights and then dies right away. I'm not sure how I'd know if it lit briefly.

I have tested many times by running it on AC a couple days then trying to light it - pumps, air compressor, yada yada. This has been a multi-year struggle.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

I've said before it won't light BUT to be honest it is possible it lights and then dies right away. I'm not sure how I'd know if it lit briefly.

Even though my old 182A had an actual flame meter, I used to carry a cardboard tube to view if the flame was on. This was also handy to see if flame changed size as I turned the thermostat.

Since the flame goes from "large" to "small" depending on cooling needs of fridge, when flame is small it stands an even better chance of not heating that thermal enough. And though this isn't he issue here, it stands an even better chance of getting blown out while driving.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
diogenes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Wrong With This Picture? Reply with quote

Couldn't tell you what's wrong with the picture.
Yet did you test the thermocouple yet? Hook a multimeter up to it?
Test the voltage and resistance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: