Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 68 Bug Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Decided to start a build tread. Picked up my bug in January and have already had some fun experiences. My favorite thing about the VW community is how everyone is supportive about keeping these machines on the road!

Also love how everyone throws the Shaka or peace signs and honks at each other on the road. A real sense of community!

So here goes, picked up the bug for $2700, it's a 1968 primered white, and the PO said it has a 1600 dual port. I checked the serial numbers and it shows as a 71-73 1300 non-US dual port.

Go figure, I wasn't planning on racing it around anyways (I have a GTI if I need a little speed Smile

So far I have pulled the engine, replaced the seals, new clutch assembly, cleaned up a bunch of surface rust (why so much in California ?? Haha) and just finished the upholstery inside. The previous owner chopped the seat backs so they looked like earlier seats. Oh well, the lowback look is pretty cool.

Here are some pics:

First pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Original engine look

Engine out (finished)

Engine back in

New seats

New look with running boards and roof rack

Shorties customs skate wheel pedal

Needs a bit of body work, and then I'm thinking of painting it myself (roller job)
I would like it professionally done, but don't have that kind of money. Might just keep it white and put a clear coat over the primer.

That's all I got for now. All caught up

Nick

Last edited by Disaster06 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Nice car.

You're missing a few tin pieces. There are two pieces that go on the other side of the heat risers. Also, there are two pieces for the cylinder cooling tins that go underneath. They are only about the size of the palm of your hand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Nice car.

You're missing a few tin pieces. There are two pieces that go on the other side of the heat risers. Also, there are two pieces for the cylinder cooling tins that go underneath. They are only about the size of the palm of your hand.

That pic didn't have the breast plate installed and I don't have the sleds (I think that's what they are called that go under the push rod tubes. Not familiar with the other palm sized ones you mentioned though.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Here are the ones you need. You should also get the sled tin. Since you don't have heater boxes you might need "industrial tin", but verify first.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Thanks for feedback!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Get all the tins and rubber seals for the engine compartment.

"If" it ends up running too hot, remember that 1968 engine lids have no vents and were designed to match for 1500 SP engines, and yours is a 1600 DP. So you might need lid standoffs, a vented engine lid, or use the tennis ball trick for long highway drives.

Have fun !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Get all the tins and rubber seals for the engine compartment.

"If" it ends up running too hot, remember that 1968 engine lids have no vents and were designed to match for 1500 SP engines, and yours is a 1600 DP. So you might need lid standoffs, a vented engine lid, or use the tennis ball trick for long highway drives.

Have fun !

Thanks! Question though, my serial on the engine case said it is a 1300 DP. Would I still need standoffs, vented lid, etc?

Here is the thread started on that:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678044&highlight=serial
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Looking good!

What size tires do you have on the front end? Stock beam or modified? I installed front disk brakes a few months back and whenever I have a passenger in the car, the tire meets up with the fender. It smells like burning rubber going down the road. If it is just me, I have no problems. Currently debating narrowing the beam or utilizing 145s in place of the 165s.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Looking good!

What size tires do you have on the front end? Stock beam or modified? I installed front disk brakes a few months back and whenever I have a passenger in the car, the tire meets up with the fender. It smells like burning rubber going down the road. If it is just me, I have no problems. Currently debating narrowing the beam or utilizing 145s in place of the 165s.

I believe it is a stock beam, but it's on drop spindles. Mine has front disc brakes and would rub on a turn, or when my 300 pound buddy got in, wouldn't turn at all Laughing

I picked up some Kumho tires, I believe they are 155/60/15
Can't remember off the top of my head but it took away the rub. Now, only issue is the front is pretty low and I will scrape the bottom if my big buddy and I hit a dip (I drive slower over those), I will go with a little taller profile next time.

I picked them up at discount tires on Warner, installed, out the door for $150
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Disaster06 wrote:
Question though, my serial on the engine case said it is a 1300 DP. Would I still need standoffs, vented lid, etc?

Likely not.

Realize of course that a European 1300 DP could have been built up to 1600cc over the decades....I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Got my new door panels in ( for the rear at least). Want to sand down the doors and paint the interior a cement gray color, new door gaskets, etc, then put on the new door panels. Up front.

How hard is it to take out the window gaskets and replace them? It looks like the PO did the outside window gaskets but not the inside, and I would like to replace the front pop out window gaskets, they are shrinking up on me.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

That's a good looking car. Just add some running boards and be done.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Running boards are on there now. Love it!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Finally some full glam shots! Nice bug Disaster. It looks really straight.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Finally some full glam shots! Nice bug Disaster. It looks really straight.

Haha. Thanks! Next step is painting the inside so I can put the door panels on up front with new gaskets, then I'll probably start sanding and painting the exterior. It's just primered white right now and I want to be able to paint it and clear coat it so I can at least wash it.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Put on new door sills today, makes a noticeable difference 😄

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Disaster06 wrote:

Looking Sharp.

How do you like that skate-board-wheel roller pedal? Do you have to wear hard shoes or can you get away with flip flops? Jus' wundrin.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Disaster06 wrote:

Looking Sharp.

How do you like that skate-board-wheel roller pedal? Do you have to wear hard shoes or can you get away with flip flops? Jus' wundrin.

Love it! It's a good size wheel, I think you can even do barefoot, it's sizeable.
Nice and smooth fee as well
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Disaster06 wrote:
Buggeee wrote:
Disaster06 wrote:

Looking Sharp.

Love it! It's a good size wheel, I think you can even do barefoot, it's sizeable.
Nice and smooth fee as well

Sweet. Just ordered me a huge OJ3 orange one. Master of Disaster!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Nice! Your gonna love it. I had an empi cheap roller that came with the car and they didn't shim it. Stick a washer in there so it doesn't flip flop left or right where the pedal mounts and you'll be very happy. I think I used an extra fender washer I had laying around.

Enjoy!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: