Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

Hello folks!

I rebuilt my transmission a couple months ago and it is far from working correctly.

I'm looking for minded people to help me diagnosing what the hell is going on, and hopefully this thread can serve to other people as well in the future.

The rebuild thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675821&highlight=automatic+rebuild

I have brand new bushings, pistons mostly VW brand, discs, frictions,brake band, well everything that gets usually worn out got replaced, and even a brand new valve body from Porsche.

So now with the problems, that the new valve body didn't address :
The fluid level is good, type F Ford fluid per TK, I went driving around about 1000 miles before replacing the valve body and brake band that got messed up with by me from tightening it too hard somehow (bad torque wrench?) I also had a plastic thrust washer breaking, that's mostly why I re-opened everything.

>>>If I set the brake band with the torque wrench at 87 then 43 Inch pounds, the van can move in D in the carport, but I loose the Reverse. I didn't go driving around like that. The engine is forcing and cannot rev' high, similar feel to if I had the parking brake ON. For having tightened it with the transmission open to loo at how things work, I don't understand how the hell the D/R clutch drum can be spinning at all with this setting, unless pressure is building at the brake band cover to release the tension from the brake band squeezing the drum. So maybe my pump is bad? I don't have anything to test the pressure from the ports.

>>>>If I loosen the brake band and adjust it barely hand tight, the van has a fully functioning reverse, and can only move in position 1, once I have speed in motion, it can be switched to D. Depending how hand-tight the brake band is, if the van downshifts at low speed, the tranny will slip.

The play is a tiny bit too high in the stack of discs in the forward clutch, 1mm vs 0.9mm max. I plan on re-opening the transmission again and address this issue.

But that wouldn't explain why I have no reverse with the brake band adjusted in specs?? Do I understand things correctly thinking it's pressure related at the brake band?

Also how does one know what a bad torque converter does?

One of the oil pump teeth had a groove on the side of it, but it is not at the mesh part of the gear, so I left it alone. Should I install a brand new pump?

Thank you very much for your help, you knowledgeable you! Wink Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

Reread how to adjust the brake band. The torque specs are only to seat the band assembly. Once you have seated it, I recall you back off the adjuster 2 1/2 turns and lock it down. Mark
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

I'm close to certain backing off occurs between the torquings down.

Look for SSP8 to see how the band piston is pushed in to relax the band: it's just as you surmised and there is a port into the space beneath the piston to relax the band and one above it to tighten it.

For no reverse and draggy forward, I think the only thing is to remove it again, see if you get a similar result hand turning it and then careful inspection during disassembly for further clues. This goes a bit beyond the diagnostic tables.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Reread how to adjust the brake band. The torque specs are only to seat the band assembly. Once you have seated it, I recall you back off the adjuster 2 1/2 turns and lock it down. Mark

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Start the primary adjustment here.

Then, if it's shifting a little funky, run the screw in a half turn at a time till it shift properly ,or as close to correct as you can get.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

Checking your work, all I can think of for now are

Did you replace the brake band you installed wrong? It's surely nogood

Did your replacement Pistons match the tranny? Some require a ball check valve and some do not.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

I think that mention just got printed over night in the Bentley I have. I cannot believe I haven't seen it. I just cannot . I must have had sh!t in my eyes every time I opened the book. I have 4 of them, one at the shop, one at home and 2 in my vans. I double checked the one I read and took a picture. If I was mentally ill, I would have said it's a Matrix conspiracy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shame on me. Shame.

I'll try that out today if I have time or Monday .

Thank you so much Mark for noticing my stupidity.
Thank you TERRY too for chiming in
Aloha!

Last edited by ALIKA T3 on Sat May 27, 2017 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

pablum wrote:

Look for SSP8 to see how the band piston is pushed in to relax the band: it's just as you surmised and there is a port into the space beneath the piston to relax the band and one above it to tighten it.

For no reverse and draggy forward, I think the only thing is to remove it again, see if you get a similar result hand turning it and then careful inspection during disassembly for further clues. This goes a bit beyond the diagnostic tables.

Hi Pablum!

What is SSP8?

I did replace the brake band after screwing it up.
The pistons all match, there are only 3 sizes, how could they be different, are there different models?
The big piston by the pump with NO check valve ball is. NLA. I could only find the one with a ball. I read it is totally fine to use it, the shell even has the hole provision from factory in it.
Thank you for your help Smile
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Shame on me. Shame.

Me too, I was confident. But, in my defense, it's been over a year...

EDIT: Fixing this is easier than going back inside the transmission, but on the other hand how much you have abused the brake-band will determine whether you must do so again anyway. But this is surely the source of your problems, so be happy. Smile

Last edited by pablum on Sat May 27, 2017 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
pablum wrote:

Hi Pablum!

What is SSP8?

I did replace the brake band after screwing it up.
The pistons all match, there are only 3 sizes, how could they be different, are there different models?
The big piston by the pump with NO check valve ball is. NLA. I could only find the one with a ball. I read it is totally fine to use it, the shell even has the hole provision from factory in it.
Thank you for your help Smile

SSP8 clicky

Yes, some of the transmissions require the apply pistons with the ball-gate valve, and some (the older ones, IIRC) do not. You probably have the correct piston, and you might only have problems if you needed that one and didn't have it.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

Quote:

SSP8 clicky

Yes, some of the transmissions require the apply pistons with the ball-gate valve, and some (the older ones, IIRC) do not. You probably have the correct piston, and you might only have problems if you needed that one and didn't have it.

Vielen danke Wink

I must have the newer transmission, the diff was a NK with a short governor cap, but for the auto section, I would be able to say, always possible to mix parts. How would I identify the need for this check valve or not? I thought everybody was using that piston no matter what nowadays.

Cheers!
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
How would I identify the need for this check valve or not?

Your Bentley will tell you which AT revision they begin to use the check-ball valves.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

pablum wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:
How would I identify the need for this check valve or not?

Your Bentley will tell you which AT revision they begin to use the check-ball valves.

I talked to Energy Concept on the rebuild thread about that, I do have the correct apply shell with the hole in it for the piston check valve. Apply shell has been lengthened as a result of deleting the wavy spring washer for the 1st gear brake . Page 38.13 Bentley. I did have a no ball piston before though, but judging by the poor quality work from the previous rebuilder, I wouldn't make any conclusions from that.

I do have the hole in the casting, #1 arrow on the manual pic. 2 o'clock on my picture

Reading through the Bentley book, I've noticed on page 37.1a that the FFB valve body doesn't appear in any table. I had that valve body prior to installing the Porsche valve body, and I'm not the only one... interesting.

>>>>>Another thing I noticed is the torque converter letter marking is different from different years. I kept the torque converter that was with an older automatic transmission because it was cleaner... on rebuilt units, I don't see any mentions that they are different. Should I care about that or let it slide?

And lastly, I found this cool page to help with understanding what is used or not during what gear.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Start the primary adjustment here.

Then, if it's shifting a little funky, run the screw in a half turn at a time till it shift properly ,or as close to correct as you can get.

Ok, so today I had some little time to adjust it properly, backed up 2.5 turns. It barely moves in D when I rev the engine quite high.

Should I try loosen the adjuster more or tighten it at this point?

Enjoy your Memorial Day week end folks Cool
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to your question. I've never misadjusted one, drove it, and then tried to adjust properly.

I am pretty sure the manual also has a pressure table. Since you are on a learning curve, it might be worth hooking up a high pressure gauge and getting some readings.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

OK, update time!

I dropped the transmission yesterday and opened it.

I bought a air nozzle with a rubber tip, fixed up an old air compressor found at the trash, and was ready for some tests!

The valve body removed, I tried to blow air , the main big piston (1st gear brake piston) works: I could see the clutch packs being engaged with a clear sound.

I've installed a thicker pressure plate for the forward clutch assembly to get back in specs, but it's barely enough... Upon inspection, I've notice some wear on the diaphragm spring that made me look closer at the parts. It turns out the bottom thrust plate is actually worn a little on the conical edge, same with the forward planetary ring gear, but I don't know how it could not touch the diaphragm spring....

I'll try to get good used parts from my local mechanic to replace these, maybe the thrust plate will help get back into better specs.

I looked at the one way clutch with plastic cage, I remember the VW mechanic showing me that it spins only , well, one way... mine goes both ways easily, I cannot find where the mistake could be??
EDIT : goddammit !! Not all Bentley books cover the plastic roll cage! On newer books it's on page 38.16. When I have dirty hands I work with an old book, the one at home explains that the cage should be engaged from the bottom of the one way clutch ring. This works now. Probably one of my main problems right here Rolling Eyes
I set up the forward clutch assembly and D/R clutch on the oil pump to air test them.

D/R checking: works perfectly. I also replaced the top circlip to get back into better specs. I've installed the 010323157J clip from Porsche, VW book info stops at the letter D.... It's much thicker, but I didn't have anything to measure it.

Forward clutch assembly testing:
It doesn't work, air hisses through the middle. I checked and re-clocked the rings on the pump, no result. I tried with just the piston in with no diaphragm spring, it goes up and down when I hold it with my fingers, so it is definetely sealing, but not enough (it's new but not a VW piston).
I reinstalled the frictions and steels, it worked once very good, then a few more times, then I released the air completely, and it never worked out again. I'm not sure if it's from the pistons or from the rings on the pump. Any helpful remark about that?

Also, I inspected the frictions, and they look like they got HOT! Same goes for the steels. That was before the drum was clearly out of specs. The bottom friction bottom side is still clear looking. Should I replace them or is it "normal" they get discolored after some use?

Cool Aloha! Cool
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help diagnosing funky rebuilt transmission I did Reply with quote

Alright, end of the monologue with a happy ending:It's all working perfectly now. Schmoode shifting, no reverse clunking. BUTTER.

I put back the transmission today, new frictions and steels in the Forward Clutch assembly because they got burnt. I replaced the bottom conical thrust plate that was worn out and I ended up within specs with the original top pressure plate which now makes sense this I didn't notice any crazy wear on the pressure plate.

Page 38.17 they mention to install a friction disc before installing the forward planetary ring gear. The first time I rebuilt the transmission, I replicated the previous rebuilder's mistake and didn't do it, which was causing the ring gear to bottom out on the diaphgram spring. This is now corrected. I should have paid more attention to the manual and double checked every little detail. Evil or Very Mad

As I mentioned earlier too, the one way clutch with plastic cage on page 38.16 needs to be mounted from below the outer ring. That page is NOT present on older Bentley books. Booo. Mine was mounted from above and not doing its job. One hundred lashes sucka!

I replaced the rings again on the oil pump since I had a leak when testing with compressed air for the forward clutch piston (it was new). I almost never saw it compressing when performing the air test. It was still not working with new rings. I said fnck it, it's full of oil when assembled, it must work better assembled than disassembled.
I installed a black thrust washer on the oil pump, just because I had one.

I've taught the GF how to assemble the transmission. I did the clips and the wiggling but everything else got done by her under my supervision Cool I did tighten the hardware too .

I think I now reached the expert level for these trannies since I had to force myself to understand how they work and dive into them way more than I wanted. I deserve a gold chocolate medal, or not Laughing Laughing

Sayonara folks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: