Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reattaching the dash
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reattaching the dash Reply with quote

I am at the point of putting the dash back on. Those who have travelled this road before, any steps that should be done before others?

Did you attach the vent conduits to the heater box first? Mine came off the box when I pulled the dash.

Also I am considering putting a shut off valve on the heater line Think I want to do this on the line inside the van rather than outside as I would probably end up doing this when I least want to crawl on the ground.

From the schematics it looks like the hose closest to the front of the van is the feed one. Ja?
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reattaching the dash Reply with quote

Take your time and don't get mad if and when you need to take it back out mid-install.

I don't understand the desire for many to install a front heater shutoff, doesn't the factory heater control lever do the trick??? If not, it may be out of adjustment or needs replacement.

Some minor to-do items to consider while the dash is out:
-vacuum out behind the dash
-replace cigarette lighter
-adjust heating/vent control cables
-check & clean up clean up wiring (most radio harnesses are poorly spliced together)
-add radio switch (key / constant on)

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reattaching the dash Reply with quote

For most people, the stock Vanagon heater shutoff value is not working properly. I threw out a new one after a few months as it deformed from heat , leaked and didn't shut properly, even with correct cable adjustment. I'm happy to say that my old one that came on the van shuts off perfectly but i know I'm in the minority.

Pomfritz, most install that shutoff on the inside, yes. There are a few posts on people who do it and how.

Also, Ben was nice enough to have a tutorial online for people to see.

http://www.benplace.com/dash.html

Follow this through in reverse order if you haven't seen it. I believe I hooked up my hoses as one of the first things when putting the dash back in. The dash was not bolted in fully yet for flexibility in movement.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reattaching the dash Reply with quote

dougass wrote:

I don't understand the desire for many to install a front heater shutoff, doesn't the factory heater control lever do the trick??? If not, it may be out of adjustment or needs replacement.

Well, yes, that would be the point. It doesn't work. Now, do you want to drop the clamshell, lay on your back, drop schmutz and debris on yourself to replace the OG valve that may well need replacing again? Or would you rather install a reliable one you can reach from the comfort of your seat?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: