Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

28 pci difference
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: 28 pci difference Reply with quote

Two 28 pci's.
Which one of these is correct for a '56 oval?
And what is that opening for?

thanks,
ghiafreek

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The on on the left since it has a screw connection.

I don't know what that opening is for but since the right-hand carb. has a push-on fuel hose connector, it must be much later (late model standard Bug?) or a later replacement carburetor.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to Ed Fall in SLC. He knows everything there is to know about those carbs. Vinztage Werks
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vintagewerks.com
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I'll give Ed a call.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone researching this the answer is:

Ed Fall wrote:
Yes, the port you're pointing out is an additional vacuum port on some of the later carburetor bases, most commonly found on bus and Ghia models though sometimes used on beetles equipped with a different distributor than the normal VJU 4 BR 8 found on most 36hp engines. Either carburetor will work but the one on the left without that port and with the threaded inlet on the carburetor top is the better choice and the correct style for a bug

"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on the right was also used on the "Bastard 40" engine used in the VW Bus.
(Still 36hp but with the new 40hp style design).

Not the best photos but you can see it has a 28PCI here with a rubber fuel line running to a pressed-in inlet:

Note that I am primarily talking about the 28 PCI with a pressed-in fitting.
I cannot speak to whether all or only some Bastard 40 engines had the vacuum pressing.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True!

There are still some others floating around with the vacuum port and regular threaded connection. Always entertaining wading through info to find a part during a good hunt!

"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 pci difference Reply with quote

Figured I'd resurrect this thread. I just picked up 3 36hp engines and one had a bastard 28PCI with the vacuum ports on both sides. Mine doesn't have just the boss on the left side, it has an actual brass tube, and the threaded area at the base on the right side. I wonder if there would be a difference running wise between the two ports.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 28 pci difference Reply with quote

If the ports are on either side of the throttle butterfly then the answer would be, yes.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 pci difference Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
Figured I'd resurrect this thread. I just picked up 3 36hp engines and one had a bastard 28PCI with the vacuum ports on both sides. Mine doesn't have just the boss on the left side, it has an actual brass tube, and the threaded area at the base on the right side. I wonder if there would be a difference running wise between the two ports.

There are some with a threaded fuel inlet connector and the provisions (not drilled) in the casting for a vacuum line on the left side. I don't know exactly when this started, but older 28PCI carbs don't have that. I don't think any of the ovals where that way stock. The replacement 28PCI on my '57 is such a carb.

There are some with a threaded fuel inlet and a vacuum port on the left side. That is either venturi or blended vacuum and was used in the U.S. on 1960 Karmann Ghias. It is the only 36 horse engine we got that used a vacuum only distributor (like the 40 horse, but a different vacuum only distributor.) That setup may have been used in later standard Bugs with the 36 horse sold elsewhere.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 pci difference Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
jays58s wrote:

There are some with a threaded fuel inlet connector and the provisions (not drilled) in the casting for a vacuum line on the left side. I don't know exactly when this started, but older 28PCI carbs don't have that. I don't think any of the ovals where that way stock. The replacement 28PCI on my '57 is such a carb.

There are some with a threaded fuel inlet and a vacuum port on the left side. That is either venturi or blended vacuum and was used in the U.S. on 1960 Karmann Ghias. It is the only 36 horse engine we got that used a vacuum only distributor (like the 40 horse, but a different vacuum only distributor.) That setup may have been used in later standard Bugs with the 36 horse sold elsewhere.

That sounds familiar, I think someone mentioned a Ghia or something having a one off type setup that used this carb and a very rare and hard to find distributor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: