Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montehms 67 Prairie Square
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Today I spent my day down at a local charity car show. A lot of great cars showed up. Lots of American Muscle which brings out some super cool rides along with some imports. The day was great and I had a great time watching folks take time to look at my square and also answered a lot of question in relation to the car and trailer. All in all my favorite time was spent talking to the older folks about trips they'd taken to places as the car's setup reminded them of road trips taken in the past. Here are the pics of the finishers of the show. My Square was the only import making the final 4.
Best of Show...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1St...

2nd...

3rd... HAHAAAA matching trophy!

4th...

Me and my Wagen...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Congrats Monte, you and your combo deserved it. Cool Cool Applause Applause

It looks like there was a good turn out there. Was this a professionally judged show? Or peoples choice?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Congrats!!! Thanks for the comments on my thread, coming from you I'm humbled!! Your car and trailer combo are truly amazing.
1968 Mercedes 230 "Heckflosse"
1970 Type 3 Fastback 1600 TA L60D
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

It looks like there was a good turn out there. Was this a professionally judged show? Or peoples choice?

Thanks Bobnotch. The turn-out to the local area shows bring out some serious muscle to include some Barrett Jackson bought cars as well as local rod shop stuff, some old school stock stuff, rats, tuners and such. The judging was done by folks that were part of the organized event with their criteria. It was the first time O'Reillys and a neighboring Pawn Shop put a charity event together for St. Jude Children Hospital.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Dlglobal1 wrote:
Congrats!!! Thanks for the comments on my thread, coming from you I'm humbled!! Your car and trailer combo are truly amazing.

Thanks! I'm just a guy like everyone else that loves working on his car enjoying it as much as I can. You'll get there soon! Very Happy
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Few more pics...

Now I can close the loop on a few small projects.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Thanks Bobnotch. The turn-out to the local area shows bring out some serious muscle to include some Barrett Jackson bought cars as well as local rod shop stuff, some old school stock stuff, rats, tuners and such. The judging was done by folks that were part of the organized event with their criteria. It was the first time O'Reillys and a neighboring Pawn Shop put a charity event together for St. Jude Children Hospital.

That's even better. Some "heavy hitters" in the crowd that you beat makes it even sweeter.
Just goes to show you that even a "garage paint job" can be done to high standards, if you're showing against Barrett Jackson stuff. You've done a great job, and should be proud of it. There's a ton of work in the car, and your trailer shows an equal amount of dedication. Very Happy
Very nice ride. Now take it out and enjoy it. Make it earn those paint chips with pride. After all, it's a driver, not a trailer queen. Very Happy
I still think you should get another set of spinners, then you could leave the spats off. Wink Personally I think it would look good that way too. You've done a hellava job on it. Applause
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
LOW N SLOW66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more with bobnotch, what a beautiful car! That blue looks phenomenal with the black and the white walls Cool great job man!
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Congrats on the award- well deserved!

That whole set up you have going on there with the trailer looks just perfect. Very nicely done, and I love this shot with all the period accessories.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments gents. Sincerely appreciate it. Yesterday was spent cleaning the garage then had some free time so I took the square back out to the park where I decided to take a few pics of the car with some of my accessories out. Hope you like them...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Nice
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Last couple of days were spent chasing down some leaks. The #1 valve had a constant ticking going on so with that I decided to pull the motor and address the issues as well as clean it up... Son Michael took some good pics

- Pulled the rockers off and checked and re-torqued the heads
-Torqued the rocker assembly
- Valve adjustments all the way around
- New valve cover gasket
- New oil cooler seals (clearly was leaking)

- Cooling flaps removed, yes the whole assembly was pulled. The thermo extended itself out of the bracket which had happened before. Luckily the pushrod tube wasn't affected...

Since the tins were off, they got a good cleaning. After work today I'll be finishing up by adding the manifold and carbs, linkage and exhaust. I found a nice lower piece to my air cleaner with a good factory decal. Will be cleaning it up and possibly swapping that out for the one I'm using.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

This past break was spent putting my motor back in the car and finding some parts or a friend’s project. I had the motor in the car and was working the timing and carb sync. Wasn’t happy with it. After shutting the car off and taking break, I noticed a single oil leak coming the main seal area. I had to take a step back and think where I wanted to go with it. Got a hold of a buddy and secured a main seal and yesterday I pulled the motor back out and replaced the main seal. I will admit it was intimidating to start but after some encouragement, I thought what an easy process to getting that piece replaced. Hopefully that will be it when it comes to leaks.
I’m picking up my buddy’s run stand as mine's not complete yet and hope to get the motor dialed in hopefully within the next few days. Looking forward to that experience.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
This past break was spent putting my motor back in the car and finding some parts or a friend’s project. I had the motor in the car and was working the timing and carb sync. Wasn’t happy with it. After shutting the car off and taking break, I noticed a single oil leak coming the main seal area. I had to take a step back and think where I wanted to go with it. Got a hold of a buddy and secured a main seal and yesterday I pulled the motor back out and replaced the main seal. I will admit it was intimidating to start but after some encouragement, I thought what an easy process to getting that piece replaced. Hopefully that will be it when it comes to leaks.
I’m picking up my buddy’s run stand as mine's not complete yet and hope to get the motor dialed in hopefully within the next few days. Looking forward to that experience.

I think the hardest part of doing any engine work, is getting motivated to do it. The work itself is easy, is just getting into the mindset to do it. Laughing
Leaks are the worst too, depending on where they are located.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

I placed the motor back in the car after running it on stand. Have it timed (as I thought), carbs airflow adjusted and sync'd. After installing it back into the car and wiring it back up, It fired up easy just like on stand. got ready to take it for a spin down the block and as I pulled up the clutch pedal and gave it some gas, it began to sputter and didn't have any power it. I backed in back into the driveway and placed the timing light back on it to see if things were in set proper. Pulled the blue book back out and began to look it over. The one things that is different between the book and my motor is the markings on the belt pulley. I've included a pic of what I have in there now. I've marked the first two as I believe it's 7.5 and 10. The other two are the dark ones. The red to the far right is the marking where I believe 28⁰ is at...

I'm trying to find out if the pulley is a 66/67 type3 or a later yr or a type4?. I don't know the settings for the markings. I'm at a loss as I've done pretty much everything I can think of from reading the manual and talking to a buddy here. This pulley's got me frustrated as it has to be throwing my timing off.
Also, I tried to remove the distro shaft (with the proper tool) as it's in the wrong position when #1 is at TDC. What's the secret to removing that piece so I can try to get it to the correct position?

*Added
Oh, forgot to add, I have a leak coming from two locations.

One is coming from the #1 side it's a bolt hole that is under the larger bolt holding the upper side of the case together. I took the nylon type insert bolt off and replaced it with another from a rebuilt kit I have. It's not tightening all the way. Unsure what's going on with that. Next one is I believe to be the cap behind the flywheel. My buddy mentioned if it is the that cap, the case needs to be split to get that corrected. That 1776 build is looking better and better.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Pulling the distributor drive can totally drive you nuts.

Take a look at one free from a motor, and it will make sense;
There is a little under-cut 'shelf' clearanced around the ID of where the washer sits.
If the washer gets anywhere's out of centered (very likely) the little clearance hangs up on the washer.
Resist the urge to pull hard in your trying to free the drive (too late for that, huh? Wink ) because you can bugger up the soft brass worm gear that drives the distributor drive..
Any burrs on that soft brass gear make a spot where the spark timing can be inaccurate, plus it beats up your distributor.

Also, if the washer falls off into the case, you're hosed..

This distributor drive system is the Achilles heel of our motors it seems sometimes.

That puller tool can actually work sometimes, In My Experience, it's more often a cruel joke.

Any time someone turns a motor over without the flywheel shims or a distributor in place, it can also bugger up that brass gear.
Chewed-up gears are actually pretty common in core motors I take apart.

Just another reason to get in there and do it right..

You have done such nice work on the rest of the car,
I'm sure the motor you build will certainly be more fitting.

Unlike bodywork, building a motor is actually kinda fun! Very Happy

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

I normally pull the fuel pump, it's rod, and the bakelite base the pump sits on first. If you look in the hole, you'll see why, as the dist drive has a ground spot above the gear for the pump push rod to ride on. That should help make it come out easier, but then like Steve said, more time than not it's a cruel joke kind of tool.

If the 2 washers fall off the end, use a small magnet, or some grease on a stick to get them out. The other option is complete tear down of the engine. You could try pulling the oil pump, but it'll probably just get you started on the tear down.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Pulling the distributor drive can totally drive you nuts.

Take a look at one free from a motor, and it will make sense;
There is a little under-cut 'shelf' clearanced around the ID of where the washer sits.
If the washer gets anywhere's out of centered (very likely) the little clearance hangs up on the washer.
Resist the urge to pull hard in your trying to free the drive (too late for that, huh? Wink ) because you can bugger up the soft brass worm gear that drives the distributor drive..
Any burrs on that soft brass gear make a spot where the spark timing can be inaccurate, plus it beats up your distributor.

Also, if the washer falls off into the case, you're hosed..

This distributor drive system is the Achilles heel of our motors it seems sometimes.

That puller tool can actually work sometimes, In My Experience, it's more often a cruel joke.

Any time someone turns a motor over without the flywheel shims or a distributor in place, it can also bugger up that brass gear.
Chewed-up gears are actually pretty common in core motors I take apart.

Just another reason to get in there and do it right..

You have done such nice work on the rest of the car,
I'm sure the motor you build will certainly be more fitting.

Unlike bodywork, building a motor is actually kinda fun! Very Happy

I tugged on it a little and nothing. I don't want to damage the motor anymore that what's going on with it. Just want to get these issues resolved so I can drive it. It's been frustrating but I'm still at it cause I just want to drive it.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I normally pull the fuel pump, it's rod, and the bakelite base the pump sits on first. If you look in the hole, you'll see why, as the dist drive has a ground spot above the gear for the pump push rod to ride on. That should help make it come out easier, but then like Steve said, more time than not it's a cruel joke kind of tool.

If the 2 washers fall off the end, use a small magnet, or some grease on a stick to get them out. The other option is complete tear down of the engine. You could try pulling the oil pump, but it'll probably just get you started on the tear down.

Getting it oriented properly would be a plus. I'm not even sure if it's part of the problem I'm having but it wouldn't hurt setting it correctly unless I messed that whole process by dropping those washers and I couldn't fish them back out. I saw where there is a chamber which looks to be shared by the pump and distro. On my next go around, I'll remove the pump and see if that helps. If not, I live with what I have and do what I can to get it back on the road until a new motor can be built
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Oh, yeaah, mechanical fuel pump..
I remember those!

Haven't seen one in years.. Razz

You absolutely have to pull the whole pump assembly to get the distributor drive out.

However,
if what you want to do is get it going,
I'd leave it all well enough alone.
Unless your vacuum can is hitting something,
It doesn't matter at all how your distributor is clocked.

Go grab a 009, and it will 100% never matter how it's clocked. No can.

But,
It ran like it was before, right?
The timing light doesn't lie, or care how the distributor body is clocked..

You can move the pin that holds the drive 'shoe' on the bottom of the distributor 180' FWIW..

Timing being off makes it run odd, but won't make it run Not At All, unless it's waaaaay out.

I'd be looking elsewhere.
Start with grounds.
Then wires,
Then coil,
Then fuel delivery?

?

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 70 of 75

Jump to: