Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

The M-plate code for Arizona yellow is 5221, mine is 522160, I believe that the 60 is the interior color designation which is black.

Arizona yellow is more yellow with a green hue, kinda baby shit yellow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Got a 1972 Westy home today see story and more pics in forum "1972 barn find in WNY from Arizona"

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The M-plate code for Arizona yellow is 5221, mine is 522160, I believe that the 60 is the interior color designation which is black.

Thank for posting.

Unless Bay Windows are totally different than Split Buses, which also use a 5XXXXX format for special colors, 160 is the paint code.
5 = special color
22 = model #
160 (or whatever) is the special color code
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Everett you are correct, bay buses are just the same. My bus (neptune blue) is 522552
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Oops, sorry. Embarassed I picked up that misinformation from another post.
The third post from the bottom.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60
Thanks for clearing that up.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

No big deal. I wonder why some of these are considered Special Colors when they were normal factory colors?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustinwor
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Last edited by dustinwor on Mon May 22, 2017 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

If not, I could use some parts off of it. Very Happy

dustinwor
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

$300 in upper Michigan
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

For that, you should get it & part it out. you could probably get half of that back for the windshield. At least double that if it still has the middle & rear benches.

rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Wish I had the photos...

... I'm just returning from a 5K+ mile round trip in my '71 Adventure Wagon (a Type II camper) and along the way I spotted a bay-window-rescue in progress!

It was April 12, I think, and I was on my return trip, West Bound, on I-10 in Texas when I passed a Rest Area, Picnic Area, Scenic Turnout, or whatever they called that darned thing on the north side of the highway, and just starting to motor out of the parking area was some kind of water-cooled Type II towing behind it what looked from my vantage point to be the front end of a Bay Window Type II - I guessed it was on a trailer given the height. From my first impression, it was just a body clip of the very front end of a Bay Window vehicle.

And I drove on past without having any opportunity to say hello.

Later, of course I had to refuel (as I was headed to Tucson first, then Harbor City, THEN Oakland, CA), and when I was back on the road, they'd apparently passed me as I quickly passed them a second time! This time, I was cruising along at an indicated 85 MPH when I spotted them - I'm guessing they were doing maybe 55 or a little better, but the closing speed was high. This time I was able to discern that the vehicle was a gate-less Double Cab, somewhere between '68 and '71, in pretty darned good condition, from what I could see - roughly equivalent to my own '68 Double Cab, though my own is still in its original paint, etc. ... So, of course, I appreciated their work.

As I passed, I gave them a nod and big thumb's up and they honked as I admired their effort. The salvaged vehicle looked like it was a completely bare shell and needed a complete restoration BUT didn't have any noticeable accident damage. It looked to me like it had been stripped of its paint and then left to rust, like so many other projects I've seen. Notably, it had no gates, which I later figured was the reason that it had appeared as if it was just a body clip.

I had trouble recognizing just what the tow vehicle was as I'm not well versed in the water-pumper era, but it was clearly a later Type II.

Later still I had to pull over for another reason - I wanted to check something in the back of my ride - and they passed me again! They waved and honked and it was all good fun and then a few minutes later, I passed them again, for what I think was the last time.

The date was May 12, time of our second encounter was around 6:40 AM, Central, and the mile marker was around 295 on the West-Bound side of I-10. ... If you folks ever find this posting, my hat's off to you for your valiant effort to save that deserving vehicle! I kind of wish we'd had a chance to pull over together, but it appears that circumstance didn't give us that luxury. Best wishes to you and your project.

Richard

Karmann Ghia and Porsche 356 enthusiast
Founder, The Karmann Ghia Club of N. America
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Just snagged this 1971 Westfalia from a little island near where I live. Apparently this bus made the drive up from Florida to BC back in 2003 and was daily driven till 7 years ago when the engine blew. Has the interior from a later Westie in it, maybe 78/79? Id just sold my tin top 1971 bus a few days previously to learning about this one, the universe just wants me to have a bus!

Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

My recent acquisitions on trailers....

and together on the ground...

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Shinnlinger wrote:
My recent acquisitions on trailers....

The ultimate high roof? The high roof king? Penthouse high roof?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Shinnlinger wrote:

Hey your just across the River from me !!
I saw a pic of the "Tree House" Bus in our local paper a few years back, very cool !! Nice Bay duo you brought home, that high roof looks familiar, was it on Craigslist ??

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

A good friend turned me on to this bus a while back, and i just made a deal on it today & drove it home Smile I'm used to digging them out of the ground & towing them home with no engine etc. so this was a nice change!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
A good friend turned me on to this bus a while back, and i just made a deal on it today & drove it home Smile I'm used to digging them out of the ground & towing them home with no engine etc. so this was a nice change!

Congrats! looks nice from the single picture. Do you have any more?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

i was going to scrape all the stickers off first, but since you asked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Scored this SUPER DRY original paint 74 transporter out of west Texas this weekend. The previous owner was turning into a day camper, but I'll be returning it to a people hauler Cool

The obligatory towing home shot:

In the driveway:

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
TheBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Recently found 75-80% restored '78 AZ bus in MI in retired gentlemen's underground bunker garage!

...and the sunroof works too!!
1970 Beetle Convertible
1982 Rabbit Pick-up
1984 Vanagon Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 80 of 100

Jump to: