Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed Exhaust System install
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

This arrived today

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's everything all laid out

Here's my Thing ready for the install

Here's my Thing with the muffler installed

Everything came to a grinding halt when I tried to install the J tubes that I ordered with the exhaust kit. As you can see by the photo below there is no way the muffler and J tube ends can be matched up, and before anyone asks, the J tubes were on their correct sides.
I've contacted Vintage and sent them photos. I suspect I'll need another set of J tubes.

The overall quality of the kit looks to be very high and except for the problem with the J tubes everything lined up and bolted together without any problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

I emailed Vintage and they got back to me this morning. Turns out I already had the needed adapter to attach the J tube to the muffler.
Everything is now in place and all the bolts are tightened down. The only thing I need to do is install the breast plate tin and fire her up.

Photo of the adapter

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

Looks good. I wish they would make a split exhaust for the 73.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

Your shop, from the photos, looks great!
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

JBall8019 wrote:

Thanks. The lift made the job A LOT easier. Smile
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

JBall8019 wrote:

even the bathroom looks spotless lol
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

Did you drive your Thing to determine if you like the new muffler and the new sound?
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

I haven't taken her for a drive yet. Presently, the engine runs a bit rough at lower rpm and won't idle.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

Can you clarify? When you say you already had the needed adapter, do you mean that one was included with the muffler kit? Or do you mean you just happened to have a set of adapters laying around? Or do you mean that you had to order it extra with the muffler kit?
Thanks
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

Hey 911,

yeah that is some nice exhaust! I like it! Cool

x2 on the garage, Nice!

speaking on rough run/no idle, I know there can be multiple reasons, but
Mine was doing it because of :

very dirty carb- it was black as the exhaust inside the carb throat.
very dirty anti-diesel solenoid- was stuck, no idle or slow to a stop, cutoff.
trash from the gas tank (rust particles)

Took some time, a new gas tank and a few rounds of seafoam and marvel mystery oil to clean the carb good.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:
Can you clarify? When you say you already had the needed adapter, do you mean that one was included with the muffler kit? Or do you mean you just happened to have a set of adapters laying around? Or do you mean that you had to order it extra with the muffler kit?
Thanks

The adapters came with the kit. At first I didn't know what their purpose was. The install instructions are very brief and there is no mention of the J pipe to muffler adapter.
The adapters are in a package on the right side of the J tubes.

Last edited by 911pickup on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
Hey 911,

yeah that is some nice exhaust! I like it! Cool

x2 on the garage, Nice!

speaking on rough run/no idle, I know there can be multiple reasons, but
Mine was doing it because of :

very dirty carb- it was black as the exhaust inside the carb throat.
very dirty anti-diesel solenoid- was stuck, no idle or slow to a stop, cutoff.
trash from the gas tank (rust particles)

Took some time, a new gas tank and a few rounds of seafoam and marvel mystery oil to clean the carb good.
T

I cleaned out the idle jet and it ran half decently for a few minutes, but then started to run rough again. I cleaned the jet again, but I haven't had the time to run the engine again.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

Bumper is back on. Sounds okay.

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

Just "OK"?
That's a lot of money for just "OK".

Are you able to post a video so we can hear it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

I'll do a short video next time I take her out.

The exhaust has a distinct sound to it, but it's fairly quiet.
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting this exhaust.

Can you get a video of the sound.

Also which version did you get?

They offer normal to 125 hp or extra quite and then another good to 150HP
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

I'll try and record a short sound clip in the next day or two.

I got the normal to 125 hp model.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

I'd love to see/hear the clip when you get the chance.

Their site now only mentions the exhaust and a super flow exhaust -- each with and without the heat riser option (which I figure they mean the heater boxes versus j-tubes).

There is no longer any mention of HP or specs of any kind. There is also no mention of the quiet version.

I wrote to them about my 2110cc engine and they said I needed the super flow version (no surprise even though I don't have any idea on HP). They also said they could do a quiet version but expect to wait two or more weeks extra.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

Looks nice! I was shocked to see the flange issue, but impressed that they had a solution in the kit.... of course it's odd, that they wouldn't just make the flanges to fit directly in the first place....? I'm sure they have a reason.

Beautiful Thing!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust System install Reply with quote

It's probably a good idea to have some degree of adjustability for variations in aftermarket J-tubes, cylinder head spacing, etc.
The VS exhaust looks like the best available replacement for the stock '74 system. There was one at the 2015 Kubel Treffen in Tipp City (Jeff Zajac from Chicago); I wish I had asked to hear it when I had the chance.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: