Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are these three items and their purpose?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

I'm starting to clean up the engine compartment and seeing some things that need attention, 71 Deluxe.
Thanks for any help!
1) Hose running into upper intake manifold. Engine #AE838482 50 HP?
2) Wire with inline fuse. What does it connect to? (Runs not connected)
3) Contraption inside near driver's side tail light.
1)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2)

3)

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

#3:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641337
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

vacuum check valve .. back up or tag light fuse holder.. i ferget.. and vacuum solenoid...
MaddMatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

Vacuum line for power brakes

Reverse lights

Old emission control thingy.

Owned: 71 Superbeetle, 72 Superbeetle, 63 Baja (on 69 pan) 74 baja, 74 Karmann Ghia

Own: 71 Deluxe Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

Item 1 is the vacuum line to your brake booster, and that little cap thing is the check valve.

The fused black wire feeds the back up lights.

I think item 3 is the Altitude Compensator, it connects to the carburetor. Search out the Samba and you will find information on that.

Last edited by Wasted youth on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

1) Check valve for power brake booster vacuum line. Traps vacuum in the booster when your engine is off.

2) That's the power wire for the reverse lights. Inline fuse holder. The end you're holding should be connected to the + side of the coil. It runs forward to the reverse switch on the transmission and then back to your left reverse light.

3) Altitude corrector. See link above
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

1) Hose running into upper intake manifold. Engine #AE838482 50 HP?
Brake servo (booster) one way check valve.
2) Wire with inline fuse. What does it connect to? (Runs not connected)
Back up light fuse. That wire plugs onto the Positive #15 terminal on the coil.
3) Contraption inside near driver's side tail light.
Altitude adjuster.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141397&highlight=altitude+adjuster
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

Awesome! I'll do some searching and read up on two of the three.
Thanks for the quick replies!!

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

Damn, Lois! You just got some service! Laughing

The Samba just keeps on giving...
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

No clamps on any of my fuel lines and I see my fuel filter right next to the coil. That looks like a ticking time bomb!!

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

dembus wrote:
No clamps on any of my fuel lines and I see my fuel filter right next to the coil. That looks like a ticking time bomb!!

Yes, sounds like eventual bad news. In my opinion, there is no good reason to have that fuel filter in there. Relocate a GOOD quality fuel filter at the outlet of the gas tank, or at least outside of the engine compartment. Trust me, there is room under there.

Originally, the carbureted engines left the factory with unclamped rubber hose with woven fabric shield. Asiab3 (Robbie) had a theory that the woven fabric acted like a Chinese finger puzzle... and kept the hose tight.

Do yourself a favor.... spend some money on Gates Fuel injected hose that is rated for Ethanol and apply fuel injection hose clamps:

From O'Reilly Auto Parts, I use the Barricade™ Fuel Injection Hose:

http://www.gates.com/oreilly/PDFs/Fuel%20Systems.pdf

Make sure the counter help gets you the hose with the green printing on it. They had another fuel injection hose product, but make sure you get the Gates with the green printing.

These are the clamps I use... they don't have the worm drive and so the bands don't cut into the rubber:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=fuel+injection+hose+clamps&spf=1497535158929

Idea By removing the fuel filter from the engine compartment, using high quality hose that won't rot away because of Ethanol and using real hose clamps that won't cut into that expensive rubber hose, you will greatly reduce the risk of a tragic gasoline fire.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Originally, the carbureted engines left the factory with unclamped rubber hose with woven fabric shield.

Oh no they didn't, when they rolled off the boat all the fuel lines had crimped on Ottiker (sp?) single use clamps you had to cut off, it seems many lazy mechanics didn't have replacements in stock so I guess they left them without anything.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:
Originally, the carbureted engines left the factory with unclamped rubber hose with woven fabric shield.

Oh no they didn't, when they rolled off the boat all the fuel lines had crimped on Ottiker (sp?) single use clamps you had to cut off, it seems many lazy mechanics didn't have replacements in stock so I guess they left them without anything.

What... Exclamation WTF?

Oetiker? https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=oetiker+clamps&spf=1497538827569
MaddMatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:

What... Exclamation WTF?

Oetiker? https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=oetiker+clamps&spf=1497538827569

I apprenticed a guy in a vdub shop that has been doing it for 47 years. He worked for volkswagen for 26 years, running the dealership shop training and later setup the aircooled line at Westmoreland Assembly in 1978.

He always told me that original vw fuel lines never came with clamps. They just pressed on.

That being said, when he left VW and started his own aircooled garage, he ALWAYS installed clamps.

Owned: 71 Superbeetle, 72 Superbeetle, 63 Baja (on 69 pan) 74 baja, 74 Karmann Ghia

Own: 71 Deluxe Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

The clamps are clearly visible on engine photos in the owner's manual. Wink

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

I'll definitely be putting clamps on the fuel lines, the non worm-gear type. I already got some of those. I will look into the Gate green print fuel injection hose if that's recommended now.
Thanks everyone!

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

I see them both ways in old manuals... mostly without. Whatever... put 'em on!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these three items and their purpose? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

I see them both ways in old manuals... mostly without. Whatever... put 'em on!

X2 Colin runs without clamps. But he's got proper hoses for that.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: