Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question - Running lights
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zohami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Question - Running lights Reply with quote

It's not a fuse, and it's not the bulbs. I've tested both.

My right side front amber running light, right rear marker light, and right taillight do not light any more.

The right turn signal works front and rear.
The right brakelight works.

Any ideas?
thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsprajc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about the Vanagon, but I'd take a look at the light switch, as the running lights are operated by that switch, but the signal and break lights run through the the break light switch and turn signal, not the light switch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell from the Bentley, there is a fuse for the left side and one for the right side. Both are powered by the same circuit of the switch, so if one side is working then it should not be the switch, it is something sownstream of the switch. I would suspect teh fuse myself, but if the fuse is good it could be the wire comming from the fuse. What year van do you have?
zohami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to get it resolved today, and if I can, I'll post the result.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
larrytrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out all the connections to the sockets and the contacts to the bulbs. They all rust and loose electrical contact. I had to soak my sockets in CLR to derust contacts and connectors, now all is fine!
JUST SOLD HER, WESTYLESS!
Good by cruel world!
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the '85 the Bentley shows that the front parking light is on its own fuse, and the tail light and rear side marker are on another fuse with the license plate lights. Are your licence plate lights out too? IF so then it is that circuit that is giving you problems. Fuse #8 should be the right side lights. It might be the grounds as the rear tail light and rear side marker light share the same grounding point according to the wiring diagram in the Bentley. You might try to see if you have power getting to the sockets with a multimeter. Put the red multimeter wire on the wire that is not brown and put the black multimeter wire to any bare metal grounding point and see if you get any voltage readings when the lights are turned on. That will tell you if it's power or grounding problems. Good luck.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the ages of our wbxs the sockets very prone to corrode,clean and smear some bulb-grease on contacts,holds down corrosion.
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's your fuse. # 8 from the left heading right,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fuse # Amperage Identification
1 30 Amp (Green) Radiator Fan
2 10 Amp (Red) Brake Lights
3 15 Amp (Blue) Interior Lights, Illuminated Mirror, Clock, Cigar Lighter, Radio
4 15 Amp (Blue) Emergency Flasher System
5 Blank
6 Blank
7 10 Amp (Red) Left Tail & Side Marker Lights
8 10 Amp (Red) Right Tail & Side Marker Lights
9 10 Amp (Red) Right High Beam
10 10 Amp (Red) Left High Beam
11 15 Amp (Blue) Windshield Wiper/Washer
12 20 Amp (Yellow) Cruise Control, A/C, Power Windows, Auxiliary Heater, Electric Mirrors, Auxiliary Heat Exchanger, Rear Wiper
13 20 Amp (Yellow) Fresh Air Fan, Rear Window Defroster
14 20 Amp (Yellow) Rear Defogger, Heated Mirror, Lighting Switch Illumination Auxiliary Heat Exchanger (If Equipped)
15 10 Amp (Red) Back-Up Lights
16 15 Amp (Blue) Horn
17 10 Amp (Red) Windshield Wiper Motor
18 10 Amp (Red) Brake Warning Light, Cruise Control, Heated Driver's Seat
19 10 Amp (Red) Turn Signals
20 10 Amp (Red) License Plate Light, Headlight Washer (If Equipped)
21 10 Amp (Red) Left Low Beam
22 10 Amp (Red) Right Low Beam
Additional Fuses At Top Of Fuse Panel
1 10 Amp (Red) Instrument Lighting
2 10 Amp (Red) Overheating Fuse For Auxiliary Heater
3 20 Amp (Yellow) Main Fuse For Auxiliary Heater
4 20 Amp (Yellow) Central Locking
5 20 Amp (Circuit Breaker) Power Windows
Additional Fuses - Camper Models (Driver's Door Post)
On camper models, there is a fuse box located on the door post behind the driver's seat just below the seat belt retractor reel housing. NOTE: There is a 15 Amp circuit breaker next to the refrigerator for protection when connected to 110-125 Volt power sources.
1 16 Amp (Red) Refrigerator
2 8 Amp (White) Water Pump for Sink
Additional Fuses - Multi-Van Models (Under Passenger Seat)
On Multi-Van Models (Canada) there are (2) additional fuses, (1) 10 Amp fuse is on the front panel of the cooler box and the other, is under the passenger seat and is a 10 Amp fuse for a power socket.
1 10 Amp (Red) Cooler Box
2 10 Amp (Red) Power Outlet Socket

Relay # Description
3 Coolant Level Control Unit
5 Radiator Cooling Fan 2nd Stage
8 Load Reduction Relay
10 Intermittant Washer/Wiper Relay
11 Rear Window Washer/Wiper Relay
12 Emergency Flasher/Turn Signal Relay

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
zohami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone - it was consistent with #8 being out, but #8 was fine. I finally found it to be fuse #2 for some odd reason. The very bottom of the fuse had corroded away, so it looked okay without taking it out. After seeing that I replaced all the fuses, just so I have a base line.

Thanks again...
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No great mystery. People who said #8 were looking at the wrong year. Fuse #2 is the fuse for 80-85, right tail and running lights. The fuse diagram and fuse list someone posted is 86+, completely different.

Mark

zohami wrote:
Thanks everyone - it was consistent with #8 being out, but #8 was fine. I finally found it to be fuse #2 for some odd reason. The very bottom of the fuse had corroded away, so it looked okay without taking it out. After seeing that I replaced all the fuses, just so I have a base line.

Thanks again...
odamark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Question - Running lights Reply with quote

Had issues with the driver side running lights. Went through the posts and was unable to secure a fix. I noticed that a post mentioned an obscure fuse was the culprit, for the passenger side issue. So along with examining #7@#8 I noticed that the horn fuse had blown. Popped in a new 10 AMP and BAM, running lights were back on the driver side!

Thanks for all of the help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommakins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Question - Running lights Reply with quote

I recently bought an 87 Vanagon that already had the exterior LED kit installed and noticed that when I turn on my parking lights or headlights the rear yellow turn signal bulb illuminates dimly on the passenger side only (as it should I presume). It flashes correctly when the turn signal is on. The driver's side rear turn signal bulb does not illuminate except when the left turn signal is on. Both rear sides have the lower outer red lights illuminated when the parking lights are on. Does anyone know what might be going on?
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: