Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locating your Key Code... various years and models
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick74bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! You really know your stuff. Thanks! As soon as I get a bit of time, I'll get to those numbers and get back to you. Hopefully they'll match, but I know a lot can happen to a VW bus in 42 years. (*smile*) Cheers, Rick
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: 72-74 Rear hatch lock Reply with quote

72-74 Rear hatch lock. Why would this lock cylinder not come out?
Thank you
Tcash

vwwestyman wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have the lock out.

The middle screw didn't seem to release the cylinder from the lock, it just seems to be holding the latch push bar in place.

The push bar and screw are seen in this pic further away from the lock.

The screw closer to the lock is what held it into the bus. The latch itself must be removed to access this screw.

If I push the button with the lock out, I can see a very small flat head screw-this appears to be what holds the cylinder in.

However, noting the info about the sliding door handle, it sounds like that might be easier.

busdaddy wrote:
The one in the very middle retains the lock cylinder, remove that without having a key in it and you'll spray wafers all over the floor.
The lock assembly is retained by a single screw above the part visible from inside, directly against the inner surface of the outer hatch skin..

Key codes are also on the slider handle on a 73, remove the screw in the inner handle and push the outer handle as well as the bezel out.
Wyntand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code...various years and models Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Now that I know where to find my key code, how do I know what my key's suppose to look like?
Is there a chart or table that tells you how deep and where to cut the blank key?
Cheers
1964 Beetle
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code...various years and models Reply with quote

Wyntand wrote:
how do I know what my key's suppose to look like?

Your local locksmith should have them.
Wyntand wrote:
Is there a chart or table that tells you how deep and where to cut the blank key?

Key code lists exist with that information, but it is strictly confidential. Your local locksmith has this info, but they will not give it to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wyntand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code...various years and models Reply with quote

Bruce,
Thank you for the info.
Appreciated.
Cheers
1964 Beetle
fozworth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code...various years and models Reply with quote

Is it possible that one key can work a L code bay window handle and also a later R code handle ,as I have two different type handles .only one has a code that I can see being an L code . My key didn't seem to work them so I've removed the 2 wafers from each barrel that we're proud and now the key works both locks .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code...various years and models Reply with quote

It will only work if the key and the lock cylinders are badly worn out. Otherwise, an L key won't plug into an R lock cylinder. And vice versa.
Sterkman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelersBus wrote:
Early Bay Window Bus Key Codes

68-70 Buses are L Codes...Example: 23L098

L series Key Blank

Since there are some experienced people on this forum, I was wondering about the following. I want to put a locking engine lid lock on my '67 split bus. I do have a three screw locking handle, but it is from a beetle and uses a K-code lock (see below). Ignition and all other locks on my bus are L-code.

Is it possible to fit an L-code cylinder into this lock? I already know rekeying is not an option as an L key will never fit a K barrel. But can I fit an L-code cylinder?
Another question, is this cylinder the same as the cabin door cylinder or different (because I have a set of L-code cabin cylinders extra that I could rekey)...
Maybe someone out there knows...before I take everything apart and find out nothing fits....
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Cab front door R key code location Reply with quote

Cab front door R key code location. If I remember right the R code locks where produced from 1971-79.

Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

Which years can the Engine cover lock be re-keyed?
protobags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

Hello everyone I am having a key issue and hope someone can help. I have a 1991 Fox that needs a key (stolen). The problem I am having is i cannot find a code. The handle of the driver side has HV 045 stamped on the lock barrel housing. The owners manual has a number hand written on the page that has the information about keys in general but it is just numbers 9732 no letters before. i took the lock to a smith and he cut a key based off of the letter/number combo on the handle but it doesn't work. Am i going to have to remove the ignition to get the right number?
Schmole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

This was good stuff, thanks! here is where it's located on my 66 Beetle:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
booted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

hi
can you tell me where I can find the key codes for a Trekker / thing / 181 its a 1971 left hand drive, I have done some searching and I believe my existing key is an L code and the fuel cap a Z code
thanks
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

booted wrote:
hi
can you tell me where I can find the key codes for a Trekker / thing / 181 its a 1971 left hand drive, I have done some searching and I believe my existing key is an L code and the fuel cap a Z code
thanks

Same place as a Bay Bus, on the tab of the door handles. In the States it is a "R" (not sure on the gas cap and they had different profiles/ makers).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
booted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

Thanks
The key i have looks to be the mirror image of a R i belive thats an L ? Iqill take it all apart as soon as i get the chance
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

I have my original set of keys that came with the car from the
dealer.
Had a new ignition/door key made at a VW show here in N.J. last week. However,
the glove box lock on my late model super has one of locks from
Jbugs that I needed as the lock was stuck. I would like to get a
key that matches the OG set. Meaning, one with the Large VW logo for the glove box.
Long story short. Could I get a BIG VW logo key made to fit the "new"
glove box lock?

The OG key is on the right. "new" key on the left

WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

kirk1015 wrote:
dealer.
key that matches the OG set. Meaning, one with the Large VW logo for the glove box.
glove box lock?

Short answer, NO

Longer answer the aftermarket you have uses a non VW profile key so NO VW key will fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

WM971252 wrote:
kirk1015 wrote:
dealer.
glove box lock?

Short answer, NO

Longer answer the aftermarket you have uses a non VW profile key so NO VW key will fit.

Thank You. Had a feeling this is what the answer was going to be.
I guess I’ll see if I can get an original one in the classifieds
if I really want an original looking key set.
mgwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

Resurrection again....

I have a 74 Thing that I would like to change to a single key system. As it is now the ignition is the proper M series code, but the doors and engine compartment locks are a matching R series code. Is the consolidation to one key simple, or should I just bite the bullet and put up with two separate keys?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating your Key Code... various years and models Reply with quote

mgwerks wrote:
Resurrection again....

I have a 74 Thing that I would like to change to a single key system. As it is now the ignition is the proper M series code, but the doors and engine compartment locks are a matching R series code. Is the consolidation to one key simple, or should I just bite the bullet and put up with two separate keys?

Take the parts to your local Lock & Key Shop.
Worked for me, but did cost $65 Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: