Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SenourLucas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents Reply with quote

I have a 74 super and who ever did the headliner job before I bought the car never made holes for the vents in the rear. I have the new plastic pieces but have never been able to find information on how to install them, I dont want to just ruin my headliner.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a pic of my 74 SB to give you an idea as to where the holes are. Just feel for the 3 elongated holes on each side and make a slice in the headliner and install the plastic vents. If the holes are covered with padding then it might be a little tricky to find them.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents Reply with quote

I don't see any vent holes in that picture.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I don't see any vent holes in that picture.

Tim

The 3 elongated holes are the vent holes. They are where you see the black wire which is the ground wire for the rear window defroster.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents Reply with quote

SenourLucas wrote:
I dont want to just ruin my headliner.

unless your looking for showroom restoration then I wouldn't bother, ruining a nice headliner is not worth some worthless vents.

Use those 3 little holes in a triangle in the picture, get some popouts.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents Reply with quote

Dwayne, I see 'em!

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents Reply with quote

From the picture Dwayne supplied, you can see the location of the vent holes. Feel with your fingers for the slots; then cut a single slit, lengthwise, with a razor. Press the vents in. You have them, may as well use them.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
From the picture Dwayne supplied, you can see the location of the vent holes. Feel with your fingers for the slots; then cut a single slit, lengthwise, with a razor. Press the vents in. You have them, may as well use them.

Tim

Unless you sealed the crescent vents on the outside, I agree that you should use them otherwise you will only be getting air which will often be moist from the outside into that chamber. The little vents allow dry air from inside the car to provide circulation inside that chamber.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents Reply with quote

SenourLucas wrote:

Same as non-Super rear vents.

Rear vents started on USA models with 1971 year.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
SenourLucas wrote:

Same as non-Super rear vents.

Rear vents started on USA models with 1971 year.

I for sure have a 1971 super beetle and I am about 99 percent positive I do not have those vents.
Ill have to look back at my resto log of photos but can I ask?

Did they get introduced mid year?

My drivers door sticker says 2/71

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents Reply with quote

1971 got its own special one-year only rear vents. Not commercially available but there is someone who made fiberglass repros and was selling them to-order on the Samba. Do a search you may still be able to contact that person. I have been sleeping on this for a while as well.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
SenourLucas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have install information for super beetle rear vents Reply with quote

Hey thanks for all the information and the picture really cleared that up for me. And trust me, my car is far from show quality haha!

Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: