Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Delrin Bushing and Camber question
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotdogpimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Delrin Bushing and Camber question Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm rebuilding my front end and it sucks. Just had two questions:

In the photo below, the upper arm keeps backing away from the bushing leaving a small space. Is this normal with Delrin bushings? I think I saw another thread with this issue but can't seem to find it.

Also the camber bolt isn't seating fully. Is. This normal?

Thanks. In advance

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Delrin Bushing and Camber question Reply with quote

The trailing arm is held on the end of the torsion leaves by a set screw which engages a dimple cut into the stack. So there's three possibilities.

The set screw wasn't fully and properly tightened, which would allow the arm to move outward. Or, The dimple and end of the set screw have worn (likely cause due to previous reason) Or, One or more leaves have been removed to soften the ride (or broken) which allows movement/twisting of the leaves within the end of the arm and loosening of the set screw.

Which one or all of the causes will be revealed when you remove the arm and inspect the dimple in the leaves and tip of the set screw.

Same with the adjuster eccentric, why it hasn't seated will be revealed when you loosen the retainer nut and pull it loose, inspect it and see what is preventing it from seating
hotdogpimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Delrin Bushing and Camber question Reply with quote

Thank BL3 Manx. This happened during installation. The set screw in brand new and the dimple seemed fine.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Delrin Bushing and Camber question Reply with quote

So you've loosened the set screw, pushed the trailing arm firm against the bushing and tightened the set screw hard, (maybe with an 8mm hex bit on a ratchet wrench) and the trailing arm still slides outward on the leaves?

hotdogpimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Delrin Bushing and Camber question Reply with quote

Yep. I've tightened the grub screw to 36 ft/lb. The control arm fits in all the way but backs out when tightened.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Delrin Bushing and Camber question Reply with quote

Sounds like you know what you're doing and its correctly assembled.

I would continue to troubleshoot, even swap the upper and lower leaf stacks to see if the problem moves. While the stacks are out I'd carefully inspect and measure the dimension between all the center and outer dimples, in case you got one with an odd length.

If nothing turns up I'd consider putting a PTFE or Delrin washer in that gap to transfer side load from the arm to the torsion beam and to keep the dirt from working down into the gap

Has an adjuster been welded into the center of the beam, off-center maybe?
hotdogpimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Delrin Bushing and Camber question Reply with quote

Thanks again BL3. This is a stock beam. I'm sure I've seen this somewhere else but can't find the thread Sad
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Delrin Bushing and Camber question Reply with quote

The grub screws and torsion leaves set the location of the trailing arms, not your bushings. Is the Delrin there to replace the roller bearings?

It looks like the Delrin parts may not be designed to take a grease seal. Plan on greasing - an cleaning up excess grease between the bushing and trailing arm - regularly.
hotdogpimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Delrin Bushing and Camber question Reply with quote

Hey,

Yes the bushing replaces the roller bearing, micarta bearing and seal. I thought the grub set the position.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: