Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electronic help needed: Making the fresh water display better
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Electronic help needed: Making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

On my last trip I was reminded how dismayed I am with the fresh water sensor display. (I have the older tank sensors on the sides). Full or green is really only the top, then there's yellow which is pretty much the whole tank except the very bottom which is red. Then I noticed there's that extra light for the fridge LP indicator. Mines electric so I don't need it.

What if I put an extra water sensor in there and wired it to the LP light, and divided the tank into fourths with each sensor 1/4 of the way down. That would be much more useful. But I know there's some electronics stuff going on there on the circuit board so not all the lights go on at once. I'm an electronic moron. Are there any electronic hobbyists (or professionals) out there able to tell me how to wire in an extra sensor and indicator light to the circuit board?
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Making the fresh water tank display more helpful Reply with quote

So dead on. I have never seen my green water light illuminated in the 8 years I've owned my Westy. Maybe good for indicating when to shut off the water when filling but I always have filled from inside so I just look in the hole.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: electronic help needed:making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Yeah it would be pretty helpful to add an extra light (which is already there anyway) and move the sensors to give accurate 1/4 readings. You could move the red led down into the lowest position where the LP sensor is and add say an orange light above it so you'd have green-yellow-orange-red as 4/4-3/4-1/2-1/4.
Would be easy to do - I just don't know about the wiring on the circuit board - I bet it's not hard to do - I just don't know anything about it...
I know someone will suggest to get an aftermarket RV indicator instead, but I like the look and feel of the old one Very Happy
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: electronic help needed:making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Deleted.

Last edited by PDXWesty on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: electronic help needed:making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Funnily enough, my next wee project in our van is installing a new float sensor that's been sitting on the shelf for a few years now. I'll take a look and see what kinds of readings it generates.

If it's doing a simple on/off signal for each position, then we're probably scuppered in terms of getting anything more useful out of it — but if it's generating more of a ramped voltage signal, ie. if it's giving a dropping voltage from one sensor as it gets further away from it, and a stronger signal as it approaches another one, then I should be able to get something more nuanced out of it using an Arduino board to take those signals and calculate something off of those voltage differentials.

Might be I could rig the Arduino to drive an RGB LED to give a different colour mix depending on the tank level — eg. red is empty, and it traverses the spectrum towards green as it becomes fuller (and vice-versa, more importantly).

Alternatively, might be able to use PWM from the arduino to show two LEDs at different ramping brightnesses (eg: fade green, and brighten yellow, as the level drops).

I'll look into it when I have a free afternoon...
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: electronic help needed:making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Again - not looking for a whole new solution- just looking to rewire the "extra" led and add a sensor on the side in addition to the other three. The sensors are simple as they just complete a circuit- but I know just enough electronics to know that there's some circuitry in place so that not all the lights come on below the highest lit level. I would just need to know how to wire in the extra sensor so that it does the same thing...can someone with electronics knowledge look at the little board and say if it's feasible and how to do it?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: electronic help needed:making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Deleted.

Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: electronic help needed:making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

PDX - if you saw my original post - I don't have a later model float level. It has simple sensors on the side that completes a circuit when water comes in contact with the sensor. And if you saw it - don't have pictures in front of me- the green sensor is positioned at the very top so goes off after you use a gallon or two, and the yellow represents nearly the entire tank until the last couple gallons. So it's not very functional.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: electronic help needed:making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Deleted.

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: electronic help needed:making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Deleted.

Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: electronic help needed:making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Dude- it's in this thread as in the top of it. As in my first sentence. Not somewhere else.
I think this is a perfect example of people skimming threads without reading and then replying to a question not being asked!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: electronic help needed:making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
PDX - if you saw my original post - I don't have a later model float level. It has simple sensors on the side that completes a circuit when water comes in contact with the sensor. And if you saw it - don't have pictures in front of me- the green sensor is positioned at the very top so goes off after you use a gallon or two, and the yellow represents nearly the entire tank until the last couple gallons. So it's not very functional.

All you need to do then is take the tank out and reposition them to anywhere you think would work better. Drill new holes and plug the old. Simple.
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic help needed: Making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Again - PDX - read the post - not what I was asking or proposing. Never mind.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic help needed: Making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Again - PDX - read the post - not what I was asking or proposing. Never mind.

I read all your posts and my responses still apply (regardless if it's old or new). You just don't like the answer.

You could more easily just relocate the top sensor to half way, then at least you would see green for longer and have more info in the bottom half of the tank.
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic help needed: Making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

PDX - yes you could move them - that's quite obvious- What I was asking was about adding a 4th sensor for more accuracy and utilizing the extra led that was the LP indicator as many no longer have the LP fridge. This way you could divide the tank into 4ths.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic help needed: Making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Here's a post that has some pretty good info:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7590969
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic help needed: Making the fresh water display better Reply with quote

Very cool PDX - thanks!!
Now I just need some electronics person to help figure it out Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: