Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

AngieB wrote:
we are going to go with the PRA-tronics ignition to replace the points and condenser so it is a bit more reliable. Smile

Many here - including myself - do NOT believe that ANY of the electronic type ignitions are more reliable than points.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

not one reveena green bug here!! Charlotte is in a class of her own
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

I have a Sun Bug, and I always have the only one at shows. It's kind of cool to have the only one of that color, but any paint color on a bug is fine.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Did you make it to the show yesterday Angie? I had my eye out.
Tim, Pepsiguy had his SunBug convertible making it 2 convertible Sunbugs in the same show! It was a fun day, talked with Pepsiguy and his wife. It was their first time down for the NW Bug Run. The day started rainy and damp but quickly dried out. Was a great day, my 12yr old had a ball as usual and my Elderly Dad came out to see the scene. He and my mom came out for a few hours. They were oldtime Porsche people. They had 2 1958 356A that they restored in the early 70s. To bad they sold them then.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Looks like you guys had a nice time.

That vert Sun Bug looked very cool. Two Sun Bugs at the same show? That's like two women wearing the same outfit at a party. Awkward!

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

charlotte and i will be there next year! you should meet us there!

Tim Donahoe wrote:

That vert Sun Bug looked very cool. Two Sun Bugs at the same show? That's like two women wearing the same outfit at a party. Awkward!

Tim
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Feeling very inspired to get Charlotte out of the shop! ordered her a few parts today.
a new muffler with tips
seatbelts
and heater box levers (left and right)
heter vents

one step closer!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Where is this show in Oregon.

We go to Ashland from time to time to see a few plays, but that's as far north as we've been in many years. I've never taken the bug there, however.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

it's in woodburn Oregon.
between Salem and Portland
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

finally back out in the garage working on charlotte. Stevie Ray Vaughn and Henry helping out. i hope you all are having a midweek celebration too!

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Angie, do you have insulation to go over that heater "Y" pipe? Mine are wrapped with insulation and a kind of vinyl cover.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

no i do not, not yet. that might be down the line when i get carpet. this is a summer only girl right now.

Today was a pretty awesome day.

The Hubs did it. he surprised me with a big one!

he and my bug guy spoke not only about the floor pan PROJECT.
but have the go ahead for the following: missing engine tins, heater box arms and cables, emergency break, rerouting the wiring harness, painting the chassis, replacement steering column, ignition with keys, seat cables, plastic leg slider things on the seat legs, a new light bucket. yippee!!

now
i'm not saying i'm getting all this without putting my fair share of work. i'll be down there painting, cleaning, digging through parts, and getting in the way for sure.. etc I can't wait! .

now this sounds wonderful! but these things take time..
and might not be completed by this summer. i'm deffinately going to try my hardest. Fingers crossed!
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Angie, keep up the strong work. You guys have done more in such a short time. Charlotte will be up and performing and looking better than new.
Tim is referencing the insulation that wraps around the pipes that are under the back seat. I had one good piece still wrapped around one Y, but the other was rotten from being damp. I searched around and finally concluded that a thin piece of furnace insulation would do the same thing. Its under the seat, who is going to look.
Anyways so glad to see you are still excited and having fun with the build.
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

UPDATE:

last night i finished cleaning, sanding, priming and painting the parts i brought home. I ordered heater leaver kits (L&R) floor vent covers (L&R), plastic air hoses and the complete trim kit ( Twisted Evil )

Im really excited to be able to put the work into the car that it needs and deserves. She was hacked up and we are going to put her back "Close to" original just a little more all at once than we were expecting Shocked But we know it is worth it in the long run.

??Question

1. My car is missing anything on the interior to hold the carpet to the metal. That also causing a problem with being able to attach the convertible boot to the inside. HOW TO I KEEP IT FROM BLOWING OFF?? Smile i didnt have the guts to as the owner of the 79 vert to let me take the back seat out and have a look! hHAHA

2. The cable under the front seats that allow it to slide. Any suggestions where to get them? we are going to buy new for safety reasons. Ive been having a hell of a time locating a new "kit"

THANK YOU.. I can't wait to post a new video when she gets home! Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

My '74 is a sedan, so maybe your vert is different. But my front seats slide on a three-point seat-pedestal that glides along a track. Each leg has a plastic slider (Wolfgang International sells the best sliders, by the way) attached at the bottom of the two rear legs only. The front slider rests within a latch that's located at the top of the main pedestal. A smooth bolt locks the seat, via the front latch into its various positions. At the tunnel, there are two handles that, when pressed forward, move their "L-shaped" arms. This moves the latch bolt out of the seat bar (with its various holes) so you can move the seat fore and aft, according to which hole becomes available when moving the seat. When you let go of the handle, a spring snaps the bolt back into the seat's new position.

Angie, are you talking about the two L-shape arms? If so, you have to buy them used off the Samba Classifieds. Actually, you need the arms, the handles, and the springs. But I've seen complete sets for sale, too.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
pepsiguy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

It was the longest drive that I have taken the SunBugg on and it started out damp. I asked my wife if I should put the top up for the 50 miles but she said she was warm and we were not getting wet as long as we were moving at freeway speed ( the car is "very happy" at 60-65mph). Pulled into the rest area at Wilsonville to meet other VWs and "caved in" to putting the top up (smart move) for the final 10 miles. We met some nice folks like Epilog79 and Dan with the other Sun Bug convertible along with his two very VW enthusiastic sons. Angie, I am sorry that we did not meet there but there will be next year and Charlotte will be ready to be shown off. Keep up the great work!
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

i have to find all the hardware for my seats! ugh. the pins, the cable, and the springs. will be checking the samba first!
oh and i need to find the heater (y vent) flaps for the inside and the oval ring to attach the y vent to the tin!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Angie, if you can't find the stuff for sale in the Samba Classifieds, just put in a WTB ad in the same-year Classifieds. VW folks that have that stuff laying around will respond. Just make sure the stuff is in good shape by asking the sellers.

By the way, I didn't hook up my rear heater system, because in the winter, I want all my heat/defrost going to my front--especially the front window. So, I didn't waste time or money on it. Although, I did have the little doors to close off the rear vents. You'll need them, and an insulation sleeve on that one Y pipe, even if you elect to plug up your rear heating.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

AngieB wrote:
it's in woodburn Oregon.
between Salem and Portland

Did you make it?
I was over on the strip. Did see much of the show.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Reply with quote

NEED PARTS?
Avery's Air-cooled in Washington state are very helpful. They have a large selection of original parts and were very cool to talk to. Found my seat hardware and bought both sets for $30 shipped! Smile
they were a big help for me, i know they can help you also.

360-425-1119
www.averysaircooled.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: