Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Summertime Go-Kart!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBall8019 wrote:
Ratt: did it take long to start the car? Thanks for reminding me to put a radio in my car Very Happy
Wbrown45: did you use a shifter lock made for a 68-71 beetle? I found a couple for $70 after your suggestion. Was it difficult to install?

I am so sorry I never saw your request until just now! I don't know how I missed it. I used the shift lock with the stock '72 shifter. It was very easy to install. Definitely put a new shift bushing, and a new shift coupler if there is any play in them. Smile
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper, How do you actually check the switches? I looked at the wiring leading up to the switches and the looked decent.

Wbrown, thanks!
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My Summertime Go-Kart! Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Its coming to that time when everything else is being finished and I can return to my barn and work on my cars again. I've been enjoying my 181 but I need to start working on it again. This is a list of tasks, in order of priority, that I have planned for this winter:
1. Brake lights - I am still struggling with this issue!
2. Stripped threads in one of the holes for the oil sump cover
3. Learn to and adjust my valves
4. Install alternator
5. Replace gas tank
6. Replace speedometer cable
7. Replace turn signal return
8. Replace muffler-kinda hesitant on this one; I have a beetle muffler and I love the fweep sound!
9. Painting the interior
10. Making duckboards
11. Making rear carrier

The list is achievable but I don't want to get burnt out because I have other projects as well. I'm sure a ton of questions will be coming soon from me
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: My Summertime Go-Kart! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my Thing at Jim's VW in Columbiana, OH this year at an event. I had my son with me, met a ton of great people , and I was smiling from ear to ear! I saw three other Things that day but the owners weren't by their rides when I walked by.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: My Summertime Go-Kart! Reply with quote

JBall-
The car looks good!
I hope to see it, and meet you guys in person next July at Kubel Treffen East 2017.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My Summertime Go-Kart! Reply with quote

I bought the Novus polish kit for my vinyl windows, it helped a lot. withe 20 bucks for the set http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/381284723804?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I like your paint job, thinking about doing mine also. Maybe with the plasti dip, or something that could hide the small defects.

What did you use to strip it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: My Summertime Go-Kart! Reply with quote

Where is the next Kubel Treffen East planned? Alan; I used gel aircraft paint stripper and razor blades to take off the crinkle paint off of my car. If you're going to paint from bare metal, use thick coats of the stripper.
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My Summertime Go-Kart! Reply with quote

I started to tackle a few of the issues I have had with the thing a few weeks ago. I replaced my speedometer cable, it was broken near the drum. I had the new cable installed and spun the drum and the cable did not spin, before I go any further should I do anything else before I take off the drum?
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My Summertime Go-Kart! Reply with quote

shouldn't need to pull the drum, just the dust cap. The speedo cable end is square with either hole for a cotter pin or slot for a circlip and should go through the dust cap square hole and then cotter pin or circlip.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My Summertime Go-Kart! Reply with quote

I got the speedometer cable to work, forgot to put the dust cap back onto the drum. I feel like a dumbest! Next task is the replacement of the brake switches. Is there a way to remove the switches without disconnecting the brake lines?
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: My Summertime Go-Kart! Reply with quote

I finally have brake lights after going for a while without them! It was a combination of having a bad brake light switch and a loose brake light receptacle in the taillight housing. I am relieved that I finally found the problems to my brake light issue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: