Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Pizza Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
I dont remember the exact terms they used, but the guy at the "foreign auto" seemed to feel that it fared well under both. The way he was talkign they tested it both top to bottm (tensile?) and side to side//like they were pullign the bottom one way (like left?) and the top the other way (like right) (shear?) He did say that you have to be METICULOUS about cleaning it though.

Agreed, the instructions are pretty clear about avoiding particle contamination. It's kind of like welding prep in that you have to grind to bare metal and clean it with mineral spirits or the like. Then you can apply to epoxy. But once the stuff dries it's very very strong.
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

Well guys she's back from paint and I have to be honest, I'm a bit bummed out with how it looks. I knew there would be flaws and I never expected a show quality paint job but it's pretty bad IMO. A lot of wavy panels, dents, and just bad prep work. I guess that's what I get for trying my hand at body work and rushing it over to a cheapo place, I can only blame myself. Rolling Eyes At least she's 2 colors now and better than what I started with. Note to self: body work is an artform and best left to the patient/skilled.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

This weekend I was able to get to work on the bus for the first time since it came back from paint. I was pretty unhappy with how it turned out but I have to remind myself it's a driver.

So that in mind I started to put the trim and lights back on to make myself feel better. And it worked! Razz

...Next step, I'm masking off the interior so I can grind and paint. I've got to buy some insulation next, but I've got a lot of work to do in the meantime.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

I paid some local guy to paint mine, and was not too happy with the job either. It was not a crazy amt of cash, but still felt like a lot. However, my wife pointed out that I would not have to park in the back of the parkinglot, obsess over every rock chip, and could not care if taking it down a two track to do some camping. She was totally correct. Its meant to be driven, not a showcar.
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
I paid some local guy to paint mine, and was not too happy with the job either. It was not a crazy amt of cash, but still felt like a lot. However, my wife pointed out that I would not have to park in the back of the parkinglot, obsess over every rock chip, and could not care if taking it down a two track to do some camping. She was totally correct. Its meant to be driven, not a showcar.

Sounds like a keeper! But I agree, and that was my original intent with the bus too. I have a '65 Beetle that I did a frame off Resto on...no expense spared kind of deal, and now I worry every time I drive it. I didn't want to do that with the bus because like you said it's meant to be driven. Still though I hate subpar work when I know I could have done better, but that's my own mental illness. Anxious
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

In preparation for the window installation I decided to begin painting the interior. I'm going to be installing the dash, putting in insulation, and doing the wiring soon, but this needed to be done first.

I should have it finished up this weekend...

I've got a few areas that I'm going to have to brush paint. It won't be perfect but it'll look decent methinks. Smile
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

A few month's back I scored some window parts that I finally had the pleasure of installing this past weekend. I managed to find a solid rear window at a junkyard in NJ of all places and so I ditched the driver's side rear vent window for ease of install.

The key to installing windows I've found (besides patience) is dish soap.

j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

Since getting the bus back from paint, I've slowly been putting it back together. I got some new tires (General Grabber AT2's) from Walmart of all places and hit them with a fresh coat of silver paint. They came out looking pretty good and it gives the bus a nice albeit slightly aggressive look.

I also took my seats over to a local upholstery guy after weighing whether to buy the TMI or Sewfine kit - it ended up being about the same to just take it to someone. Since I have a late westy interior going in I figured it was just easier to get someone local to make a custom interior. And because I hate vinyl with a passion I had them make the seats with Tweed inserts. Cool

For now I've shifted my focus on getting the bumpers done - still a work in progress though, hopefully I will get them done this week. Goodbye Pedro's Tacos, I shall miss thee.

More to come...
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

Slowly making progress on the bus, my goal is to take it to camp at the all air cooled gather in September in Flanders, NJ!

http://www.allaircooledgathering.com/

Side steps all painted up:

Grinding down the ugly bumpers...

Fresh paint:

And mounted - the rear was/is pretty tweaked.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

Damn (In your best ghetto girl voice)! Looks nice!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

Really like those seats, that turned the way VW should have done them. Bus's take a huge pile of money to get factory straight, that is why they command the prices they do in OG condition. As long the paint sticks you did OK.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

Looks good.. Its really coming together nicely!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Damn (In your best ghetto girl voice)! Looks nice!

Thanks man!
Manfred58sc wrote:
Really like those seats, that turned the way VW should have done them. Bus's take a huge pile of money to get factory straight, that is why they command the prices they do in OG condition. As long the paint sticks you did OK.

Agreed - I hate the idea of sticking to vinyl basketweave seats. I wanted something that looked more like my bug's seats, which are actually pretty comfortable and kind of stockish. For this bus I've got a spreadsheet (because I'm older and wiser now Rolling Eyes) with what I've spent so far on this thing and I'm beginning to see why it's so easy to dump 30K on a bay. I just want one that drives and looks half decent.
Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Looks good.. Its really coming together nicely!

Much appreciated!
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

And so...I've got most of the exterior complete. I had the windshield installed by professionals (after giving up on an attempt to do it myself). It was the only glass I couldn't do. Plus I broke the old one removing it so I figured best not to mess around with the new one. $100 well spent.

I've shifted my attention getting the interior done. After talking to the cabinetmaker I decided rather than use the OG westy interior I had from a '76+ bus, I would just have new cabinets made and use the OG interior as templates. They're still being made but here's how they look so far:

I bought lightweight insulation off ebay - it had decent reviews so I figured I'd give it a whirl with some 3M adhesive. It does seem to provide a noticeable difference in insulating. I got some help from an assistant to scrape the old glue/insulation off the roof too...lucky me! Razz

Almost ready to put in the cabinets!
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

WOW!!!

Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

J10,
Nice bus man, definitely not stock, and that bothers me.
Then again, I remember how some days I wished how my interior was cleaner, more comfortable, clean seats, door panels, etc...
Perhaps one day, I’ll have a clean, uniform paint job.
Looking good man, keep plugging away, and drive the shizzz outta it.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
J10,
Nice bus man, definitely not stock, and that bothers me.
Then again, I remember how some days I wished how my interior was cleaner, more comfortable, clean seats, door panels, etc...
Perhaps one day, I’ll have a clean, uniform paint job.
Looking good man, keep plugging away, and drive the shizzz outta it.

Thanks man - yeah if it wasn't such a basket case to begin with I probably would have gone back to stock, but this was my blank canvas...one I didn't feel to bad about having my way with. I just wanted a '71 to drive the hell out of! Twisted Evil
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

Finally got the cabinets back and I think they turned out awesome...

I put them in place to get a feel for the layout. As expected, they did not fit like a glove. Definitely going to do some trimming, but hey at least progress is being made.

I did manage to get both the vent window and side windows put back in. A monumental pain in the ass, but it's finally done. Really starting to look complete enough to drive. The dash is mostly put back together and pretty soon I'll be taking her out for a test run!

As everyone is aware, each bumper sticker is +5 horsepower:

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

Those cabinets are killer! I'm hijacking those pics so I can try to reproduce them next winter when I do mine.

Wish I could join you for the test drive. Those are the best!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Pizza Bus Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Those cabinets are killer! I'm hijacking those pics so I can try to reproduce them next winter when I do mine.

Wish I could join you for the test drive. Those are the best!

Thanks man, definitely gonna post up some more detailed pictures when I get them installed. Looking forward to the first cruise! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: