Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
I'll try and stop by! But regarding the svda, it's a godsent. Wish I had an original svda but the one I got, with pertronix 2 in it, is great. No complaints and that flat spot is GONE. What carb do you have? Might want to try a 30 pict as another option with that 009

I have a stock 34.
https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

One year ago today today I was driving down highway 1 to Arroyo Grande to pick up the bus. It's crazy to think how far it's come in this time. It's cool seeing a picture from then compared to now. Can't wait to see where it's at in another year.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

It definitely went a long way in good direction! Any news?

|82x94|

1961 Deluxe beetle, 1971 type 181, 1968 T2a Baywindow, 1973 Type 147 "Swiss Fridolin"(sold), 1966 Deluxe sedan (sold), 1983 "Silver Bug" edition (sold), 1961 beetle (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

1961bluebug wrote:
It definitely went a long way in good direction! Any news?

Currently just been driving the thing around. Nothing new but I'm saving up some funds to get a bead roller and a new welder so that I can make some tubs for the front as well as do a beam raise. The sheet metal has already been purchased so hopefully things get rolling soon!
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Made the templates out of paper this week for my tubs. Ended up going with 3 inch tubs since I plan on dropping the front about another 2 - 2.5 inches and the tires rubs how it sits now. Now all I have to do is transfer the paper over to sheet metal, bead roll it for strength and somewhat of a more "stock" look, and weld them in. Just got my new bead roller from eastwood and just enough sheet metal to do the job.

Also, just went camping in the bus a few days ago over at Butano State Park. Beautiful there and can't wait to go back. Here are some beauty shots in the redwoods.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Been plugging away at getting these tubs done. I got the paper templates transfered over to the sheet and proceeded to cut all that out. For the end pieces I needed them to all have a 90 degree flange on them so I tried a trick I saw someone doing I while back. I cut two identical pieces of mdf out that matched the profile I wanted the piece to have. Then I clamped the sheet in between the two pieces and hammered the edge over with small pie cuts in the curve of the piece. This method worked out pretty well and I was a pro at it by the last one. I just wish I had a garage to do all this stuff in but hey, I'm making it work. Now I just need to decide on what my layout will be for the beads, and possible buy a new welder Confused

Anyways, here are some pics of what's been going down.

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Nice fab work.. Been following along on instagram too

Its sort of a shame that you won't get any love here for the work. Very stock crowd. I like them all, to each their own Cool

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

Its sort of a shame that you won't get any love here for the work. Very stock crowd. I like them all, to each their own Cool

Don't throw us all into the same bucket please. Bay windows are one of the few cars I think look sick lowered. Drop it like it's hot.

Though I do have to say I'm keeping mine stock height because I like the ground clearance, and in Detroit it is very helpful. Shocked
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I like the look too but there comes a point when a person lowering a vehicle is like an anorexic that will never see themselves as skinny enough no matter how bad it is for their health.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
senseless1707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Inspiration for sure. Killer bus man
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

senseless1707 wrote:
Inspiration for sure. Killer bus man

Thanks a lot guys!

And to TDCTDI, I totally agree, but as long as they are still driving around in their bus, and smiling every mile, I don't think it's a problem.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Adding 3 inchs to the seat height,I would have to make a hole in the roof to stick my head out.I like the lowered look but it's not for me,nice high tech
metal work.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
Adding 3 inchs to the seat height,I would have to make a hole in the roof to stick my head out.I like the lowered look but it's not for me,nice high tech
metal work.

It's a good thing I'm short hahaha
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Picked up a wooden suicide knob thats old and crusty to match my shift knob, (probably one of the only things that I plan to keep as is from when I got the bus). Buying shit like this is fun.

Also, all the pieces for the tubs are all done, just waiting for access to the welding shop so I can get them in.

On a side note, I'm planning on buying a new welder and have been considering the Everlast power i-mig 200. I've heard good things about it and has everything I want out of a welder. Anyone have any experience with one or Everlast in general? Or another similar welder you recommend with a somewhat comparable price point?
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Few little updates on the bus. I ended getting that welder, the Everlast power i-mig 200 and some fresh c25 gas. The thing seems tits looking over it but I'll start putting it through its paces starting Sunday hopefully when I can now finally start welding the tubs in. Speaking of the tubs, the pieces are now all fully cut out, have 90 degree flanges, and are all bead rolled and ready to go. The bead rolling turned out really good I think, especially since it was my (and girlfriend who helped crank it) first time doing it.

New Welder:

Tubs bead rolled:

On a little side note, I drove over the hill over the weekend and decided to take highway 9 instead of 17 for once (which I had never done in the bus). With the current suspension this thing handles really good I just wished there was just a bit more power or gear. Skyline was a little sketchy though and I was just waiting for the brakes to fade but it never happened.

Here's a shot from an overlook on Highway 9

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Alright guys, if you are a purist, this is the point in which you should probably look away Wink

I put in a boatload of work yesterday getting the tubs installed and to be honest I'm pretty impressed with myself in how much I was able to finish in a day. The tubs a almost done but they are good enough fore me to drive around with them for a while until I get another day to button them up. I don't really have much to say about the process except that you really have to twist yourself up into a pretzel to weld these things in from the underside of the tubs. Anyways, heres a few in progress shots along with the finished (for now) picture.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

What are you doing about keeping road spray/grime out of the pockets just inside of the shock towers? They'll easily hold a couple of gallons of water if you close in the inner side, otherwise you'll just get a bunch of crap in the cab.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
What are you doing about keeping road spray/grime out of the pockets just inside of the shock towers? They'll easily hold a couple of gallons of water if you close in the inner side, otherwise you'll just get a bunch of crap in the cab.

The tubs don't go over that far. They stop right before there, it becomes an extension of the wheel well, not of the seat. Does that make sense? Take a closer look at the pictures of the tubs welded in.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Gotcha, I see it now, thanks.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

So.. are you going to make pedal extensions or just have a really thin seat bottom?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: