Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Properly tighten Front Axle Nuts
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNSRANCH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: How to Properly tighten Front Axle Nuts Reply with quote

1973, disc brakes, axle nut is the kind that tightens down........

Found that there was a wobble in both front wheels when I got the bug. Snugged the nuts down, and off I went.
100 miles later they were loose again. Nuts didn't move so I'm sure I didn't have everything seated properly, and that's where my slop was coming from.
I'm afraid of crushing the bearings.......I snugged the nuts down tight, and just backed them off a tad. Wheel turns freely.
What's the proper procedure?
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Properly tighten Front Axle Nuts Reply with quote

That's how I've always done it - snug it down while turning the wheel until it no longer turns freely (and you can "feel" the tightness in the bearings), then back off - again while turning the wheel until it frees up and turns smoothly without any binding. Snug the locking screw and done. I always make sure the races are fully seated in the hubs when changing the bearings - so no questions about any seating issues.

Jeff
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Properly tighten Front Axle Nuts Reply with quote

^X2.

Here is some more discussion in the beetle forum. Wealth of info there on issues common to all beetles;

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=407102&highlight=front+hub+nuts

Also, just making sure you know about tightening the Allen head pinch bolt on the spindle nut once you set the clearance...a simple mistake if you are new to VWs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: