Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

bavarian1 wrote:
Finally got to pull out the back seats, nothing left of the fronts, but I think this will get me a good sample of the color I need to find..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They used some trimmings it appears to line them.

i have a rear back seat its not 58 59. it has a metal bar goimg across the top of the back seat whay year is that
bugn24-7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Just received my BC today. Have a few questions about the M Code 350.
Is this a generate code, it shows dual circuit brakes in 1958, is this correct?
And what do they mean when they say drum brakes and without headlight flasher? At least I know the date it was finished and shipped now.
Anyone else see anything different than their M 350 US equipment?

Thanks for any help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

On 350 - They most likely included everything possible for 350, including options that only came on later Beetles.
They do this fairly often and it's confusing for earlier cars.

Drum brakes - Maybe 350 included drum brakes on later cars that would have been disc?
Without headlight flasher - Not sure, this make me think it didn't have high beams but that seems unlikely.

In the M-codes here it says
Hazard Warning System
Without flasher

I wonder if that should be read as one thing
Hazard Warning System without flasher
Meaning it has the hazard warning system but no flashing light on the dash.
Obviously this is a later car thing too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grumpyveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I am sorting out new parts to buy and looking at interior colors. I am lucky enough to have a mignonette green sunroof beetle. The original paint is long gone but I am going to have it painted back that color. I know the correct interior is the green-grey/grey-green but not sure it is in my budget. I am leaning toward the brick red. Anyone have any photos of this color combo?
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

grumpyveedub wrote:
I am sorting out new parts to buy and looking at interior colors. I am lucky enough to have a mignonette green sunroof beetle. The original paint is long gone but I am going to have it painted back that color. I know the correct interior is the green-grey/grey-green but not sure it is in my budget. I am leaning toward the brick red. Anyone have any photos of this color combo?

If doing the original interior is not within your budget, then I would look into doing a later style interior that wouldn't clash with your mignonette paint, like in my opinion brick red would. Maybe a 61 style, like whats on this beryl car below?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

mignonette green 59's deserve the correct interior. 58/59 interiors are very special..with patience you will be able to find all the interior you need in the classifieds or searching locally. The vinyl can be dyed to look new if in good enough condition.
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

grumpyveedub wrote:

I agree with Sled that the 58/59 interiors are special but the original interior on a mignonette beetle just doesn't looks right imo, I went with brick red on mine, i love it, it stands out for sure but not in a bad way I don't think but it might not be for everyone.

Sorry not the best pic
59RAIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Finally got the 59 out - was at the El Bug-O in El Paso - was a great time and the 59 got a lot of attention.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jgowin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Almost got my 58 back together

jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

67dub wrote:

I want that car, where did you get the seat covers and door panels?
Jgowin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
67dub wrote:

I found an original set of panels and used it for the greyish material on the panels, I had a local guy make the covers and remake the panels, the color I picked is lighter than the original grey. He re dyed my panels to match, the sample I picked looked a lot darker than what I got but it turned out really good. I also had them install my mole hair liner and make vinyl door posts and made me a wool carpet kit. Thanks man, the combo of time+money+short attention span+procrastination turned a respray into a full body off restoration.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

67dub wrote:
jays58s wrote:
67dub wrote:

I found an original set of panels and used it for the greyish material on the panels, I had a local guy make the covers and remake the panels, the color I picked is lighter than the original grey. He re dyed my panels to match, the sample I picked looked a lot darker than what I got but it turned out really good. I also had them install my mole hair liner and make vinyl door posts and made me a wool carpet kit. Thanks man, the combo of time+money+short attention span+procrastination turned a respray into a full body off restoration.

I see what you mean on the color, it does look a little light on the grey section, but still looks damn good to me. That's how it always goes when working on anything, it's hard to just stop at one thing, and you always end up going further than what you originally planned lol. My dream car has always been an original black '58, hopefully I'll get one someday.
59RAIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CalLookVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

67dub wrote:

Looks awesome! The white Flat-4 steering wheel is a cool look. Have much trouble with installing the steering wheel? I am having some issues with my hub. It sticks way too far out from the turn signal switch. I'll have to get some pics. Chris.
'67 Squareback
'68 Sunroof beetle - 1st bug, bought back
'70 Bay window deluxe
'71 Bay window
-----------------------------------
'14 Jetta SE 1.8T
Jgowin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
67dub wrote:

Looks awesome! The white Flat-4 steering wheel is a cool look. Have much trouble with installing the steering wheel? I am having some issues with my hub. It sticks way too far out from the turn signal switch. I'll have to get some pics. Chris.

Thanks, I ordered my adapter from ISP, I also found another steering rod and shortened it an 1 1/2" due to the dish on the wheel.
bugn24-7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Took a drive to Atlanta Ga to pick up my replacement pan for my 1958.
Serial number is 1 month after mine. Mine is shot.
Now to media blast, prime and paint.

MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Looking for the correct date codes for 58/59 ignition coils. Does anyone have a chart or info of how to determine month/year of Bosch coils?
Thanks
Bruce Ebling
bugn24-7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
Looking for the correct date codes for 58/59 ignition coils. Does anyone have a chart or info of how to determine month/year of Bosch coils?
Thanks
Bruce Ebling

Check this post out. It may help.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279505
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I saw that post and wondered if those codes were just for generators or all Bosch products.
Thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

They apply to coils and a lot of other stuff too.

I hesitate to say everything because I don't know if some things are undated.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 126 of 148

Jump to: