Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whats up with this Petri wheel?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Whats up with this Petri wheel? Reply with quote

Hi, I need a little help here guys Smile

This wheel was hooked up so the golden lady push button would activate the high beam lights, and the horn ring activated the horn.
It wasn't working to good, so now I want to make it a bit better.

Does anyone have any idea to what I can use as an insulator between the horn ring and steering wheel. It looks like someone already tried to do something, but it just didnīt work out that well (the rubber "o"-ring).

The red wire (goes to horn button) was connected to the little coil and spring, and runs against a brass plate through a little hole in the steering wheel. Cool setup which I haven't seen before. Was this a normal feature on all Petri accessory steering wheels?

Any tips and help is welcome

Thanks
Rasmus

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Whats up with this Petri wheel? Reply with quote

Try some heat shrink tube or some thin wall nylon tubing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats up with this Petri wheel? Reply with quote

Thanks

But my trouble was how to get the "spring effect" from the hornring, without it beeing to hard and not being able to use the push, or being to soft and activating the horn.
I used some soft self adhesive rubber molding, and it worked out great. very positive feel to the horn ring. Also cleaned up the contact surface area, and it works great now.

But I left out the extra spring loaded little coal brush thing that goes through the steering wheel and contacts the brass plate behind it.
I have never seen something like this before on a steering wheel. If anyone has any more info about this (old manuals, commercials or anything - please let me know). Very cool setup by the way!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Whats up with this Petri wheel? Reply with quote

Multi control steering wheels are very cool. Not too many people are even actually aware what the accessory horn ring was used for. When I show them the working example on my cars, the look on their faces is priceless Cool

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Whats up with this Petri wheel? Reply with quote

Thanks Rareair!

That picture is great, it shows the parts included. But what is the steel part in the back of the box used for?

I doesn't seem like the part is that common, judging from the replies in this thread Smile. But thanks for your help.
I need to make mine working again, and hook it up to my high beam again Wink

Thanks
Rasmus

RareAir wrote:
Multi control steering wheels are very cool. Not too many people are even actually aware what the accessory horn ring was used for. When I show them the working example on my cars, the look on their faces is priceless Cool

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats up with this Petri wheel? Reply with quote

That metal piece is just a jig. It's not needed to facilitate the multi control functions. It allows the installer to properly align and drill a hole in the steering wheel hub for the horn/light contact to pass through.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Whats up with this Petri wheel? Reply with quote

Would anyone have any instructions for hooking up the light flashing option for this steering wheel ?
or be able to explain
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: