Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE - ITS BACK.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

^^^^^^^
Too bad... Sad
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

dvwd1111 wrote:
Does anyone want to work with me to help restart the Litchfield Bug In? I live in Foster RI and have been attending the event on and off for over 20 years. I'm motivated to work with a group of folks to restart the Bug In if anyone's interested.

Unfortunately I'm not well connected to the VW community but am highly motivated to jump start this event. My professional experience is in marketing, design and advertising and I'm willing to work with a group of motivated enthusiast in any way I can.

You can contact me at: [email protected] or 401-392-8437

All the best Chuck. It's been a great run and we'll all miss your leadership.

donM.

well, we have been playing a game of phone tag. it will be interesting to see if we can't try and put something together. that said, don't get your hopes up, but I think the 2 of us are willing to see what may be possible to keep some sort of show rolling.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exciting!!!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Finks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

Well this really stinks. It's been a tradition of my kids and I for over a decade to attend this great event. Thanks for the memories Chuck! Glad my fiance looked it up before we just hopped in the car Saturday from Maine to CT. I think we will be attending the German car show in Brookline instead. I doubt it will live up to Licthfield, but I'll always have the memories (and the shirts Wink)

Here are the details

http://www.oldride.com/events/8138487.html

Quote:
Do Bentley's share a lot of the same parts as VW's? Wouldn't it make more sense to get the right manual for the car? Am I missing something?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

Took my oldest as a baby to the last show at the inn, which was my first time. I've been at Harwington every year since. Now a college student, he broke the news a couple days ago that there was no Father's day vw show to go to.

Long tradition at an end. Thanks to Chuck and all the folks that helped, the money they raised for charity, so all could have a fun day.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

Well, for the 1st time in 18-20 years, I'm home in Vt. on Fathers Day !!
My kids also commented that Sunday will be the 1st time in years that we can go out for Breakfast ON Fathers Day.

I do wonder how many VWs will show up tonight & Sunday in Harrwinton.....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

Sad day for me in NJ today! I truly loved the Litchfield show. Now I need to go to a family BBQ.....the show was always a great excuse to get out of it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

Any updates Skills?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Any updates Skills?

nope. been pretty busy with other things. I did speak to dvwd1111 but have not had a chance to get back in touch with him.

the more I think about it, the less I want to be involved. I will still see what may play out but the reality is after talking with chuck over the years I just don't think I could pull it off with his levelheadedness.....the first complaint I had would result in me telling someone to fuck off and run their own show.

quite honestly, the "scene" her in CT is dead...the show really did kind of dwindle in both air and water cooled attendance. the swap meet got pretty light in the last 5 or so years, as well as the show cars.

people's expectations are high...."camping" all of a sudden seems to include a shower, a/c and a flat screen (so it seems) and a gut truck serving a 4 course dinner.....and people bitch about the 15-20.00 camping fee...then the entry fee to get in the next day...I saw chuck suffer this bullshit year after year. then you have the guys that would brag about not paying....yet eat 6 plates of food Rolling Eyes it's no wonder why chuck called it quits.

my hats off to those who run/promote shows....it is a 100% thankless job that eats more time than it's worth. I am still considering a small get together here in sticksville but it would only be a small amount of people that I can stomach for more than an hour.....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

That kind of sucks... peoples are so ungrateful sometimes. Well keep us updated.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

...my hats off to those who run/promote shows....it is a 100% thankless job that eats more time than it's worth...

The mouthful to end all mouthfuls... The mother of all mouthfuls... YOU SAID A MOUTHFUL...

I would only add that it's more like a 200% thankless job, because twice as many people are going to come up to you afterwards and tell you how pissed off they are, compared to the number of people who will come up to you and tell you how happy they are with what you produced.

In fact, that goes for just about anything that happens within the old-VW hobby. Good thing that I'm used to it by now!

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. This is supposed to be about how thankful we are for the years and years that Chuck gave his blood, sweat, and tears, toward making our old-VW hobby more enjoyable, AND doing some good for humanity along the way, and for that, I once again say THANK YOU CHUCK.
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

I wouldn't say totally thankless but them negative experiences do stick in your head, like "why do I have to park my Porsche next to a VW on VW night?". The same VW night the guy came to be a part of! Or the guy that wanted to argue with me about why are dogs allowed at this show that I was parking cars for. I just told him your more then welcome to join our staff and do something about it;) or the absolute best one " I didn't have a terrible time " at the Dust Off one year. You can have your money back for that free event Smile

I should of thought of this before I came up with the idea on Sunday but we should of all just decided to meet up somewhere on the day the Litchfield show would have been. Sort of a casual VW show someplace. Maybe on the date for the Terriville show? Anybody interested?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
" I didn't have a terrible time " at the Dust Off one year. You can have your money back for that free event Smile I should of thought of this before I came up with the idea on Sunday but we should of all just decided to meet up somewhere on the day the Litchfield show would have been. Sort of a casual VW show someplace. Maybe on the date for the Terriville show? Anybody interested?
I loved the dust off... and that's a great idea!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

steve and ea18~

yes...the turd in the punch bowl always seems to float to the top. I think the vw "scene" by and large has taken a turn downwards in a lot of ways. very few in the northeast have taken these cars "seriously" and it was hard to watch at one of the CT events a junk ghia with rattle canned bumpers and a runny paint job take first place over a bunch of other cars that destroyed that pile 1000 times over....the "everyone wins" mentality ruined it for a lot of guys who spent countless dollars and hours making a car perfect to get "beat" by a car that should have been at the pick-n-pull

the result was people not wanting to go to the shows because it became a joke...pull a car out of the woods and win an award? it was a slap in the face to those who restored the cars....

that said, I am glad I was able to attend almost every LFBI....started going when I was 11....now, I am closer to 40 and the show(s) were a huge part of my life....my wedding was planned around these shows....hell even my kid's birth was planned around the shows. the shows were a huge part of my life....

the simple thought of gathering the volunteers is daunting....to pull off a show like LFBI/Terryville I GUESS there is an ez 40-60 people that make that show run. the reality is trying to organize that many people is like herding cats....everyone has a life/family/obligations so it's hard to do a show on your own....

and the bitching....oh, the fucking bitching.....Chuck did a fantastic job of keeping his cool over the years. how he didn't punch 20% of the people in the throat is beyond me. after running the shows he has every right to be a raging alcoholic....the public at large is not easy to please.

the more I think about it, the less I want to step up. again, when things cool off some on my end I may see what could be done, but the veterans of the hobby are stepping down and I can see why.

in all fairness to Chuck, it couldn't go on as the LFBI....that was HIS baby....unless he gives his blessing using his old venue is a total slap in the face....this was HIS baby....he laid it to rest. it was obvious that he didn't pass the torch (not sure if it was offered up and possibly declined?) but the reality is he pulled the plug. I would be upset if someone wanted to keep it going labeled as something I started. guess we'll just have to see what happens....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

News from the CVA

Quote:
SAVE THE DATE!!!! Father's Day Sunday June 17 2018

We are bringing back the terryville bug affair
Same great show ,new date
With the help of Chuck Pisconski and the terryville lions club the ctvwa is excited to bring back a favorite annual vw show to CT
Camping ,swap meet and show
Stay tuned for more details
Volunteers needed

I'm not dead.

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is fantastic!!!!!!!!!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
News from the CVA

Quote:
SAVE THE DATE!!!! Father's Day Sunday June 17 2018

We are bringing back the terryville bug affair
Same great show ,new date
With the help of Chuck Pisconski and the terryville lions club the ctvwa is excited to bring back a favorite annual vw show to CT
Camping ,swap meet and show
Stay tuned for more details
Volunteers needed

I'm not dead.

Link

Where is Terryville in relation to Litchfield? Is it far?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE Reply with quote

10 miles

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE - ITS BACK. Reply with quote

Well I hope somehow that these shows in the Northeast can continue! I went to the Litchfield Bug In and Terryville Bug affair back in 1994 right before I moved to Sunny Florida and they were both fun events. These were my first events after getting back in to air cooled VW's. Nice memory of those shows!

I guess I got lucky and I'm spoiled now with the Florida Bug Jam Weekend! I encourage any of you to come check out the Bug Jam Weekend in Florida the second week of November and you won't be disappointed! The Weekend keeps getting bigger and bigger and more fun too. Friday Rare and Unique Slam, Saturday Bulli Brigade, Sunday Bug Jam- Giant show and Swap, camping, Poker Run, Live music etc !!Come for a long weekend with the family and throw in a day at an amusement park in Tampa or Orlando.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Litchfield and Terryville NO MORE - ITS BACK. Reply with quote

Please use this thread now for the latest event
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694931
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: