Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

411/412 004 four speed trans rebuild (new 12-7 @ 12:51 pm)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Z
Samba Member

Location: Playing in Cape Town, South Africa or working on the high seas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 411/412 004 four speed trans rebuild (new 12-7 @ 12:51 pm) Reply with quote

Hi Ray

I am going past an SKF dealer either tomorrow or Wednesday. If you want, I can pop in to check if they have or can get. Being on the other side of the planet, maybe there is stock here somewhere?

Whatsapp or sms me exactly what you need and I'll take it from there.
+27 833 418 nine 37

Tony Z
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 411/412 004 four speed trans rebuild (new 12-7 @ 12:51 pm) Reply with quote

Thank you for the offer! If you find them let me know the price please and we can see if its worth the cost.

I should have a reply from Summit sometime tomorrow.

The problem with this bearing is not that its out of production. Its in "Limited" production. They only make them every so often. They also fit more than a handful of transmissions.....almost always on the pinion shaft. They are in demand. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 411/412 004 four speed trans rebuild (new 12-7 @ 12:51 pm) Reply with quote

So.....Rockauto just sent me an,e-mail notice that my parts are back in stock.....Timken M86648 pinion bearings for about $39 each....which is a great price.

I caught the e-mail with the hour of when it was sent and ordered two (its all that my budget allows this week or I would have ordered 4 or 6.....I have three trans that need rebuilding).

We will see if either I get a notice that parts are actually out of stock......and my money is refunded....or they arrive next Tuesday as scheduled.

By the way....I got a reply from Summit racing this morning. NO.....they do not have the parts in stock and they say they are special order....which to me....means they are "hoping" they can simply order them from Timken.....which they usually can't.

These appear to be a limited production bearing....but with the speed they go out of stock....its a good bet that it fits more than a few cars and is usually used as a pinion bearing.
The sheer fact that Summit lists it says that it must fit a few odd American car transmissions......I think long ago I found a note that it fits some 1970s International brand transmissions.

I think this also fits the pinion shaft on the type 3 003 automatic. Ray
Tony Z
Samba Member

Location: Playing in Cape Town, South Africa or working on the high seas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 411/412 004 four speed trans rebuild (new 12-7 @ 12:51 pm) Reply with quote

Well done.
I managed to find the part listing today in a catalog today at a local bearing supplier - unfortunately, it was a catalog from a company which he didnt stock.
I was going to head to the local agent for the other company early next week.
O yes, and the catalog says you need two for the box.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 411/412 004 four speed trans rebuild (new 12-7 @ 12:51 pm) Reply with quote

And as an update...yet again....Rockauto sent a notice that parts are NOT in stock. Money refunded.

I got a little tweaked and contacted RockAuto customer service and asked..."what gives".

Got a very prompt reply back ...I love Rockauto customer service...right up there with McMaster Carr...stellar!

They noted that when the pic sheet went to the warehouse, teh computer showed stock but when they went to pull the parts they were nowhere to be found. They suggested trying other companies and keeping the "in stock" notice as a backup. They apologized.

So....several e-mails back and forth with Summit:

E-mail reply #1: Not a stock item and they must special order.

My Reply: so its nowhere in YOUR stock yet your site says it is. How can I get these.

E-mail #2: If your order them from Summit...we will order them in for you

My Reply:....and the gist is ....how do you know that Timken has any stock on a limited production bearing ...and meanwhile my $$$ is tied up for months while you wait on production that may not happen until the total amount of orders reach X amount?

E-mail #3: Because Summit has an account with Timken (paraphrasing here) and we do not offer something unless we know we can get it.

My reply:....so have YOU...SUMMIT....contacted Timken in this very case to verify that they have stock of this bearing?

E-mail # 4: Yes....this is coming from Timken. They have stock.

So....it appears....unless they are full of sh*t that it is an option to order from Summit racing. They are about $75 each.....not cheap.....but available is available.

And thank you Tony Z for your efforts! Ray
1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: 411/412 004 four speed trans rebuild (new 12-7 @ 12:51 pm) Reply with quote

Interesting thread!! Smile

I have a dead 004 out of my 412LS, was replaced due to the car being hit in the rear while parked and in gear. The owner at the time bought a new replacement from VW in the UK(late 1980's) but never again drove the car. He also ordered all the shift linkages, stick, boot and gate but never fitted them and are new in the VW bags still.

Watching closely, I have gone out of my way to find all the Matra/Peiseler/Kukko transmission and diff tools for these over the years. Very hard to find, but never the less now done.

I expect parts will be an equal challenge!!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 411/412 004 four speed trans rebuild (new 12-7 @ 12:51 pm) Reply with quote

1500king wrote:
Interesting thread!! Smile

I have a dead 004 out of my 412LS, was replaced due to the car being hit in the rear while parked and in gear. The owner at the time bought a new replacement from VW in the UK(late 1980's) but never again drove the car. He also ordered all the shift linkages, stick, boot and gate but never fitted them and are new in the VW bags still.

Watching closely, I have gone out of my way to find all the Matra/Peiseler/Kukko transmission and diff tools for these over the years. Very hard to find, but never the less now done.

I expect parts will be an equal challenge!!

Very cool! Hoping to get bearings in by one method or anot h er in about two weeks.

Eother way its been too long. Others are in a holding pattern as well. If nothing comes quickly for the pinion bearings....I will go ahead an set lash and preload with my home made jigs and existing bearings just for practice and to demonstrate the method.

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: