Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible chassis
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunkst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Convertible chassis Reply with quote

First question here on the Samba, I am curious if the chassis from the 71 convertible super beetle is the same through 79, I have a roached chassis and the opportunity to buy a rebuilt chassis on the cheap from A 79.
Will my 71 body fit?
thank you
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: ConVertible chassis Reply with quote

I believe that the bodies changed in 74, and that VW incorporated more structure into the chassis. Again, not certain. I am sure someone on here knows the answer for you.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ConVertible chassis Reply with quote

I don't know what a roach chassis is.

The seat tracks changed for the 1973 models, so the 1971 seats will not fit the 1979 chassis unless you change the seat tracks ... or you can maybe use the newer seats

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ConVertible chassis Reply with quote

A roached chassis means it is shot.

Click to view image
Sunkst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ConVertible chassis Reply with quote

Thanks everyone,
I'll keep researching, The only thing that can see is maybe the rear clip sticks out a little further than mine. Not sure if that means the engine mounts back further also. and the newer style seats are more comfortable.

From the vin # or serial # can you tell where the vehicle was manufactured? Ialways been curious if it was from Mexico or Germany.
nx6h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ConVertible chassis Reply with quote

Sunkst wrote:

From the vin # or serial # can you tell where the vehicle was manufactured? Ialways been curious if it was from Mexico or Germany.

I'm pretty certain Mexico and Brazil never produced convertibles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: