Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Considering trading Honda Fit in on 12-17 Beetle.. bad idea?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Considering trading Honda Fit in on 12-17 Beetle.. bad idea? Reply with quote

So I've had my 2011 Honda Fit Sport for about 2 and a half years now, and it's always been a great car, I've had zero issues with it. It's easy to park, it can haul a ton of crap with the seats folded down, It's a near perfect daily driver. It also has a manual transmission, so it's fun enough to drive. The problem is that it's little more than an appliance, it just doesn't seem to have much soul or personality. It's also kinda ugly, but to be fair I don't really find any modern cars all that attractive or interesting to look at. But it is extremely practical!

I recently started entertaining the thought of trading it in on one of the 2012-2017 Beetles, but I don't know if I'll end up kicking myself in the ass or not. While it's actually kinda cool looking, and would look more at home in my garage with my 66 and 73 bugs, I don't know if it'd be worth it. From what I've read it has significantly less trunk space than the Fit, and the back seats don't fold flat. Has anyone done a rear seat delete on one? I'm also not sold on only having the turbo engine available, my dad has always said "a turbo is just one more thing to break!"

Does anyone have any insight? Would I be making a big mistake to give up my pretty much perfect daily driver Honda in favor of the Beetle?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Considering trading Honda Fit in on 12-17 Beetle.. bad idea? Reply with quote

Keep the Honda. The 2.0 t's have timing chain tensioner issues, you'll miss the utilitarian nature of the Honda.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering trading Honda Fit in on 12-17 Beetle.. bad idea? Reply with quote

I would recommend the 2.5 liter 5 cylinder gasoline engine which I believe was available until mid 2014. I previously had a 1990 Honda and a 2005 Honda (both were very very very reliable!)and was wanting to add a new Beetle to compliment my 1970 Beetle. So far so good at 22,000 miles. No issues, no recalls, just a cool modern matching friend for my 1970.
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: