Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump safety wire
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shanks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Fuel pump safety wire Reply with quote

While going through the engine after purchasing my 1965 bug I decided to replace all the fuel lines with new. As I was trying to pull the old line off the fuel pump outlet, the brass fitting came out. A search of the site here led me to clean up both the brass fitting and fuel pump and replace the fitting using red Loctite. After reading all the topics on safety wire, I decided to also safety wire the fuel pump outlet to the pump. I could find no photos on how to do it so here is what I did. Hopefully, this will be useful to someone else out there. Rest assured the other end of that line is also safety wired to the carb.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump safety wire Reply with quote

In addition to Locktite, you can roll the pipe ends between two coarse files to dimple it and give it a little extra grip.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump safety wire Reply with quote

I've posted this, my 1600cc engine; safety wires on both inlet and outlet.

For my other engine, which does not have retaining clips on the fuel pump horizontal pivot rod, I made and installed brackets to makes ure it stays that way !

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump safety wire Reply with quote

I applaud your quest for safety, but it looks like the loop attached to the body of the pump could slip off rather easily?

Also, while you're at it, will you be putting a safety wire on your carb inlet pipe?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump safety wire Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
I applaud your quest for safety, but it looks like the loop attached to the body of the pump could slip off rather easily?

Nope, it's under the lip, so in a "channel" or valley.

rcroane wrote:
Also, while you're at it, will you be putting a safety wire on your carb inlet pipe?

I already did that too.

In the mid-1970s, on this same 1970 VW, I was driving home one day, smelled gasoline, assumed it was from a different car (I don't have a sensitive nose). About 5 miles later, I was home, stopped the engine, and the factory crimp clamp on the factory hose had come loose from the fuel pump (this same one, by the way), and was pumping liquid gas (1) all over the engine and distributor and (2) some got to the carb so I had no driveability issues.

I thought the whole VW was gong to explode in flames, I just let all evaporate, then fixed it with a traditional hose clamp, and safety wire (mid 1970s !!!). On mine, the brass tubing was NOT loose and did not come out, this was the flexible braided hose coming loose in normal driving, even with the factory crimp clamp.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: