Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I be concerned?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Should I be concerned? Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1.8 ec block unseen for $100, when i got it I noticed these grind marks on the inside. Is this block still usable, or is this something I should be concerned with? I seen a engine build on google where someone grinded on the block for clearance issues, but don't know if this is a common thing or just someone doing something stupid. I've got an engine lined up to buy, but was going to rebuild this one as a spare. Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned? Reply with quote

dumpster bait by the looks of it. unless someone was doing a very high lift cam. in that case, it may be ok....I don't think they used a grinder....looks like the used a hatchet

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned? Reply with quote

If this is a crack, it would need to be repaired.

It does not look like they took that much off. I looks like they took the concave out of them.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned? Reply with quote

Probably someone did that to run a 71mm crankshaft in it. If the lifter bores are not warn inside or cracked I don't see a problem with it.
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! I haven't opened the case up yet to inspect it for cracks, but I'll definitely check that spot out as soon as I do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned? Reply with quote

Or it could have had a broken crankshaft happen that did it. Just make sure the case haves come together as they should. One thing you can do is bolt the empty case halves together with just the primary case bolts and shine a flashlight in one crank hole and look in the other and you will see light shinning through between the case halves if it doesn't come together as it should.
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned? Reply with quote

Ok I'll be doing the flashlight trick for sure!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned? Reply with quote

Put some plastigage between the case halves adjacent to the main bearing saddles and torque the big bolts to spec.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plastiguage&oq...plastigage
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned? Reply with quote

Yeah, come to think about this a bit. it couldn't be that the crank did it because it's under a lifter. It almost looks like something done with a chisel when the case was taken out of it's mold when it was made.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned? Reply with quote

I agree that someone may have clearanced the case to run a high lift cam. Put some light oil on a lifter and try it in the bores. Let the lifter stick half way out toward the inside of the case and try to move it up and down. You should be able to detect not even the slightest movement. Even with light oil you should still feel some resistance as you slide the lifter in and out.

You can buy inserts to fit into the bores so that you can run Type 1 lifters. You could go this route of the lifter feel loose in the bores.
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned? Reply with quote

Ok thanks for all the help! I will do everything you all listed before I even think about using it for a rebuild. Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: