Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ecotec sandrail major issue
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

inzel wrote:
Interesting situation. Have you had any problems since the 3rd redo? From reading through this thread I am thinking that your torque wrench is suspect. Maybe borrow one from your local auto parts store and see if it makes a difference?
3 different ones.....
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

so what i found when i had to change the key way for the harmonic balancer was that the timing chain tensioner failed and their was tremendous slack in the chain which is odd because it didn't make any noise and ran really good. so i got a new chain kit with tensioner and re set timing marks.i have seen sloppy timing chains actually try to run in reverse when shutting it off.im hoping that this is the reason the bolts are getting lose and backing out to be sheared off
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

The tensioner is powered by a spring when the engine is off and oil psi when its on. When they go bad, you will hear the chain smacking top chain guide.
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

VagNaToOtH wrote:
so what i found when i had to change the key way for the harmonic balancer was that the timing chain tensioner failed and their was tremendous slack in the chain which is odd because it didn't make any noise and ran really good. so i got a new chain kit with tensioner and re set timing marks.i have seen sloppy timing chains actually try to run in reverse when shutting it off.im hoping that this is the reason the bolts are getting lose and backing out to be sheared off

That probably it. Harmonics and stuff. Had a Chev 4x4 once and the transfer case shifter would always rattle. One day I changed the fan clutch and no more rattles....
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

took it out for a few hours today everything seems solid for now only issue i have atm is its over charging at 15 volts...
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

Do you know if you have an inline resistor going to the alternator signal port? (I believe its pin B on the connector) Or are you just running a switched +12v ignition wire to it?
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

i have never heard of flywheel bolts being torqued to 39 ft lbs, that seems real low. I have ARP flywheel bolts in my ford 2.3 turbo buggy, and I torqued them to around 80 ft lbs plus I used red loc-tite. I would go with ARP and torque them more.

on a side note, I have ALWAYS torqued flywheel bolts, in any vehicle I have done, to at least 80 ft lbs with red loc-tite, and have never had a problem.
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

Mid Engine Bug wrote:
Do you know if you have an inline resistor going to the alternator signal port? (I believe its pin B on the connector) Or are you just running a switched +12v ignition wire to it?
it has a plug from the harness then a single wiring going to the starter where it meets the battery main im not sure if theirs a inline resistor is that something that the harness company would have installed after modifiying my stand alone harness ?
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

yitzac1990 wrote:
i have never heard of flywheel bolts being torqued to 39 ft lbs, that seems real low. I have ARP flywheel bolts in my ford 2.3 turbo buggy, and I torqued them to around 80 ft lbs plus I used red loc-tite. I would go with ARP and torque them more.

on a side note, I have ALWAYS torqued flywheel bolts, in any vehicle I have done, to at least 80 ft lbs with red loc-tite, and have never had a problem.
yea man its crazy im doing what they are telling me they do for over 200+ installations blue loctite with 39 + 25* supposed to be around 50 or so this time i used red loctite. but i think it had something to do with the timing chain honestly motor kicking back will cause something to loosen up
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

VagNaToOtH wrote:
Mid Engine Bug wrote:
it has a plug from the harness then a single wiring going to the starter where it meets the battery main im not sure if theirs a inline resistor is that something that the harness company would have installed after modifiying my stand alone harness ?

Depending on who did the harness, it may or may not have the resistor inline. But if it goes to the post on the battery, thats bad. Any time the alternator signal wire sees voltage, it tell the alternator to charge. So even when the engine isnt running, your alternator is trying to charge. It will drain the battery and burn the alternator out faster. That is why I always put mine to switched ignition. As far as the inline resistor goes, you need one. It will bring down the volts to about 14.3 and will help not fry the alternator. If I remember right, its a 1/2 watt 440 ohm resistor.
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

Mid Engine Bug wrote:
VagNaToOtH wrote:
Mid Engine Bug wrote:

Depending on who did the harness, it may or may not have the resistor inline. But if it goes to the post on the battery, thats bad. Any time the alternator signal wire sees voltage, it tell the alternator to charge. So even when the engine isnt running, your alternator is trying to charge. It will drain the battery and burn the alternator out faster. That is why I always put mine to switched ignition. As far as the inline resistor goes, you need one. It will bring down the volts to about 14.3 and will help not fry the alternator. If I remember right, its a 1/2 watt 440 ohm resistor.
theirs 2 wires in the alternator plug and from the post the wire feeds to the batt when i start the motor and unplug the alternator it drops to 14 volts...
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

Does your plug only have 2 pin slots? Older ones have four slots on the connector and require the resistor. Newer ones are pulse width modulated and dont. They typically have a grey and brown wire running to them and grey is a 5v reference from the ecu. The brown is the signal. If yours is wired to a 12v reference, it would make sense why it charges high when plugged in.
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

Mid Engine Bug wrote:
Does your plug only have 2 pin slots? Older ones have four slots on the connector and require the resistor. Newer ones are pulse width modulated and dont. They typically have a grey and brown wire running to them and grey is a 5v reference from the ecu. The brown is the signal. If yours is wired to a 12v reference, it would make sense why it charges high when plugged in.
it looks like theirs 4 slots but only 2 wires i didnt see the color on them
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

Ok so yes you need a resistor inline then. It goes to spot B on the connector. The other wire really doesnt matter if its hooked up or not. I am running the same alternator hooked up with a resistor in my Bug and it charges at a constant 14.3V.
jdcool4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

Are you sure the ecm is getting solid battery voltage at the igniton and battery
Pins and a solid ground the ecm should control the chargeing voltage based on battery voltage if its not seeing what it wants it maybe over chargeing trying conpensate
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

jdcool4 wrote:
Are you sure the ecm is getting solid battery voltage at the igniton and battery
Pins and a solid ground the ecm should control the chargeing voltage based on battery voltage if its not seeing what it wants it maybe over chargeing trying conpensate
thats exactly what the harness company said so im gonna go over a few things and check out my set up thank you
jdcool4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

If you goto autozone.com make a my zone membership (its free) you can look at the engine wiring diagram for your donor car and hopefully figure it out. Its also possible the wire harness company crossed a wire
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

cleaned all the contacts changed out charging wire with thicker gauge wire hook up meter and its charging at 14.30
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

so i took it out again ran very well very fast i shredded one of the tires up was old anyway im thinking about getting thse has anyone used them or what do u think ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sedona-Mud-Rebel-R-T-Radia...1438.l2649
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: ecotec sandrail major issue Reply with quote

I usually try not to use too aggressive of a tire. I want them to slip a bit to protect the axles, CV's, etc. but that's just my opinion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: