Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

I originally thought it might have been the bearings, because they were funky. Brand new skf bearings had the same issue, so I probably have goofy drums
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

How many days before the big trip? Car is looking great Pat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

We are heading to Kelly Park on Wednesday morning. 3-days
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
We are heading to Kelly Park on Wednesday morning. 3-days

Very cool, I see the "Kanadians" are going to be on their way down soon, looks like it'll be a nice line up cruising down there. Have a great time you guys, be safe and don't forget that we like a pic or two Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Original 19mm master cylinder rebuild and swap Reply with quote

tyzel wrote:
Mr. OGPaint wrote:
We are heading to Kelly Park on Wednesday morning.

Have a great time you guys, be safe and don't forget that we like a pic or two Wink
There will be plenty of pics Ty Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Before. If you remember when I was getting the car roadworthy back in Massachusetts I had to replace the master cylinder with a 22mm master cylinder. I saved the original 19mm and now it's time to rebuild it.

After

Installed. The 22mm master cylinder stopped good, but the pedal feel was way too firm and I didn't like it. The 19mm stops just as well, but feels so much better and more progressive because it doesn't move fluid so aggressively. Plus it's OG. Also swapped back to a screw terminal brake switch.

We are leaving for Kelly Park tomorrow morning. Planning a trip down the coastline with 6 vintage buses and our car.

Last edited by Mr. OGPaint on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: original split rear window seals leaking Reply with quote

I've been testing the car in the rain and I discovered the rear window seals leak onto the headliner. 😱😱😱

I was able to dry it out and it returned to normal

I emailed suppliers until one assured me several times he could get me seals on the tight time frame and I would pay for expedited shipping. On the day the seals should have arrived he sent me an email that they would ship tomorrow 🤦‍♂️. He decided to take a few days off for his birthday, but never mailed my very time sensitive package. It's time to improvise. This is my very short term solution

it seems to work. Leaves the seals with kind of a chalky look like old NOS seals get when they set on the shelf for years.

I drove it in very heavy rain last night, it's staying dry 🤞

We leave in 18hours.

Last edited by Mr. OGPaint on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Group photo as we left our farm this morning. Most of the fun pictures of the trip will be posted in real time to Instagram. #kanadatokellypark17
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Group photo as we left our farm this morning. Most of the fun pictures of the trip will be posted in real time to Instagram. #kanadatokellypark17

This link should show the pics for that tag:
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/kanadatokellypark17/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Thank you Everett!
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Finally figured out what the random ticking noise was from the motor. Another 25hp pulley broken. I handled this pulley so carefully from the day I got it. Thankfully i noticed the issue before it fragged on the freeway....and we had a spare

Met up with Dave Cormack today, great guy. He reached out and said if we needed anything near his neck of the wood to stay in touch. We never actually made it to Crescent City on the Kelly Park trip because HWY 101 had a closure, but Dave came upto Brookings Oregon to bench race....and lead our caravan for 20 miles. What an great guy! Really cool and fast car also

After our big detour we finally got back on track. Ended Thursday night in Corning California and should be in San Jose by noon Friday. See you there!
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Great catching up with all the intrepid travelers, too bad you had to bypass the major part of the redwoods, but I know as soon as you turned left from North Bank Road/197 onto Redwood Highway/199 you went through a stand of pretty nice trees. Props to all you guys and gals that DRIVE your VWs !!! Very Happy

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

From Red Barn

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

The California trip to Kelly Park / Redbarn was amazing. Our VW friends and community are such a great group of people

We traveled with a caravan of 6 aircooled and one tdi powered vanagon. Three buses from Canada 🇨🇦 including a barndoor panel that was newly completed by Triple Js, owned by Johnny Main. Also from Canada was Mike Adams in his very original 59 Swedish left door/left drive campingbox. The tdi vanagon is a fantastic chase vehicle and a great place to relax for anyone who needs a brief break from the aircooled experience. The vanagon is owned by Greg McFarlane of Victoria BC

Greg and Clara joined us in the very nice Dove Blue Montana Westy. Adam and Ally Bruno from Seattle in their Porsche Powered Mango Standard. Parker Suttton from Bellingham WA drove his dove blue 21-window built by KCW

We were the only Beetle

Rachael picked some fresh flowers once we crossed the California border
We tent camped most of the time

We swung thru San Francisco on our way home

Amazing friends the whole way. We met several wonderful people from thesamba and had great conversations, thank you all. I have roadtripped aircooled cars to Kelly Park several times, but this one was a fulfillment of a dream of mine that has lasted for nearly 20 years...I'll post about that sometime soon.

The group decided my motor will be called the "Super 25horse" and did not use even a half quart of oil in nearly 3,000km. This motor combo is perfect for me and I'll post more about that soon also.

And one last thing that I was asked about many times this weekend...the rear window seals are no longer leaking and "As Seen on TV" Flex Seal did a good job when I was in a pinch
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

awesome pics, I enjoyed following your trip on Instagram.

very nice split
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

So nice to meet you and Rachael. Also glad to hear your trip was uneventful.

I'm hoping to drive the 49 to KP some day when I have more time to enjoy the drive. For now, I'll live vicariously through your pictures.

Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Thanks Zuggbug!

Nice to meet you As well Nancy. sorry I didn't have more time to talk. Driving your car to the west coast would be epic, and a little nerve racking until the first rock chips gets out of the way. I actually never got to see the show other than the cars in our immediate vicinity. Next year I guess.

I spent a lot of time waiting in line because we hadn't preregistered, also spent a lot of time packing up some swap meet purchases so they wouldn't get destroyed while being hauled home.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Well, a crashbox bearing has critically failed. Inside the trans appears to be in very good shape otherwise, but while it's out I want to replace some bearings besides the failed bearing.

Does anyone have parts list and possibly a diagram for the transaxle. It would make my parts search a lot easier.

I'm striking out using the search function
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

from my Ersatzteile, hauptgruppe 3 - wechselgetriebe

Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Thank you Sled! Very helpful

Does anyone have a cross reference to 3x3 part numbers?

Edit: I was able to locate all bearings, thanks for the help
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Beautiful car, beautiful wife(GF?) and great beard haha.

Why do you think you keep breaking crank pulleys? I was surprised by the first one and even more so by the second. How tight is your belt? Is the crank true?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: